Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ETCI Completion Cert

Options
  • 02-04-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a query we recently moved into a 1950's house which required a complete refurbishment. We had to use two builders, the first finished the main house and had his electrician rewire the house. The second builder did the extension to original house and wiring of the extension including the wiring of the kitchen in the old house. First builder advised he could not sign off as he was not completing all the electrical work. The second builder went out of business soon after completing our extension so we were left with no cert.

My questions are do I need a ETCI Cert if I am to sell or for regulations?
    and how do I get one now?

Thanks
    bp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

which electrician did the fuseboard and metering

it should be possible to certify partial work completed

perhaps the 2 electrical contractors are still in business even though the builders are not

you may not need a cert to sell the house but your insurer may require one

try contacting both electrical contractors(they have a duty to provide a cert for work they done,even partial)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »
    try contacting both electrical contractors(they have a duty to provide a cert for work they done,even partial)
    +1
    This is an important point, they are obliged to furnish you with a certificate even for partial wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

meercat wrote: »
    which electrician did the fuseboard and metering

it should be possible to certify partial work completed

perhaps the 2 electrical contractors are still in business even though the builders are not

you may not need a cert to sell the house but your insurer may require one

The first builders electrician did the metering and fuseboard.

Thanks Meercat that sounds like a plan provided these guys are still in business or in the country!

Insurance company never asked for a cert.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Insurance company never asked for a cert.
    For a domestic installation I doubt they ever will.

Advertisement