Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sultans of Ping

Options
  • 02-04-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭

Anyone notice 'Wheres me Jumper' is being used as the title music for Sky ones Moon Boy and Vodafone are using 'Give him a Ball and a Yard of Grass' for a new add (don't know if just in Ireland)?

Its just over 20 years since 'Casual Sex in the Cineplex' was released and I for one would love to see them again. I went a few Christmas's ago and they were brilliant.

Anyone know if there's any plans for some more gigs?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

If so , it'll be over christmas again.
    usually they'll play a night and then the franks will play a night in the savoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

aka "The Sultans need money for Christmas presents Tour" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

Sultans site is here. No gigs listed for 2013 yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Roar wrote: »
    aka "The Sultans need money for Christmas presents Tour" :)

I just hope they still need the money with all the tv revenues they seem to be getting! One of the most fun live acts ive been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Supposedly the singer (the English guy) is in line for a chair at Oxbridge - he's concentrating on that at the moment. I heard that the cross-dressing lead guitarist got married to a woman, which amazed me!!

What was that song they played where everyone lay on the ground and put their feet in the air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Supposedly the singer (the English guy) is in line for a chair at Oxbridge - he's concentrating on that at the moment. I heard that the cross-dressing lead guitarist got married to a woman, which amazed me!!

What was that song they played where everyone lay on the ground and put their feet in the air?

NOF (the English guy) is from Carrigaline - I think he may have spent the first few years of his life in England but he certainly did all of secondary school in Rochestown College.

Pa, the guitarist only cross dressed for the band and to my knowledge was always straight.

Turnip Fish was that song.

There is no such thing (I checked on Google) as a Turnip Fish!

You can say what you like about The English Lad but at least he wrote one great song eulogising Cork's greatest ever hero (Roy Keane) - Give Him A Ball And A Yard Of Grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

The singer is from Carrigaline, Co.Cork, married and teaching in England. He is IRISH

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

You can say what you like about The English Lad but at least he wrote one great song eulogising Cork's greatest ever hero (Roy Keane) - Give Him A Ball And A Yard Of Grass.
    Song wasn't about keane :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Pity you didn't check Google about the song: it's about Nigel Clough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Moro Man

evilivor wrote: »

The quote from Brian Clough is about John Robertson
    "John Robertson was a very unattractive young man. If one day, I felt a bit off colour, I would sit next to him. I was bloody Errol Flynn in comparison. But give him a ball and a yard of grass, and he was an artist, the Picasso of our game." In his autobiography Clough noted that "Rarely could there have been a more unlikely looking professional athlete... [He was a] scruffy, unfit, uninterested waste of time...but something told me he was worth persevering with." but that "[He] became one of the finest deliverers of a football I have ever seen - in Britain or anywhere else in the world - as fine as the Brazilians or the supremely gifted Italians."

evilivor wrote: »

I reckon it was written about Keane but The English Lad decided it was about Clough when Keane moved from Forest to Man U.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I reckon it was written about Keane but The English Lad decided it was about Clough when Keane moved from Forest to Man U.
    I'm a Forest supporter of 23 years, you are incorrect. It was written about John Robertson. Lead singer Niall O'Flaherty is a Forest fan for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

<silly bit of trivia>

The brother of the bass guitarist was mates with a housemate of mine, was often hanging around our place. Years later I was watching Top of the Pops, and there he was: lead singer with the Young Offenders singing "That's Why We Lose Control". Great to see people make it (even if it might only be for one or two songs!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

who_me wrote: »
    <silly bit of trivia>

The brother of the bass guitarist was mates with a housemate of mine, was often hanging around our place. Years later I was watching Top of the Pops, and there he was: lead singer with the Young Offenders singing "That's Why We Lose Control". Great to see people make it (even if it might only be for one or two songs!)

Had forgotten about that song, really liked it. That guy had a solo career as simple kid too and had another song I really liked callled staring at the sun. It was always on in this pub I used to go to in the states but I had no idea he was from Cork till a few years later.

Heard a rumour at the weekend that The Sultans might be playing Electric Picnic this year.

Heard a rumour at the weekend that The Sultans might be playing Electric Picnic this year.

See!! I was a couple of years early (always ahead of my time!) but I told you they'd be playing EP.

Advertisement