Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferred money onto old card

Options
  • 02-04-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

So I was taking out money from my stock brokerage account yesterday but I gave the details for a card which expired last month. I got an email today from my broker to say the payment has proccessed, but obvs the cash isn't in my a/c as I gave old details. Where on earth is the money gone?

I'll ring the bank tomorrow if I don't get an answer here but I'm a bit concerned so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Is it a credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Visa debit

You can't lodge money to a visa debit; they don't work like that....

Edit: It's likely they assumed it was a credit card and tried to lodge money to it as if it were. In which case, the money will be in your bank's holding account, doing nothing until you ring them and explain what happened.

Well I've transferred onto my maestro laser before? And that's the card I gave the details for yesterday. And that's the problem, they said they've successfully transferred money onto a card which is no longer in use...?

I dunno what way maestro laser works but if it's the same as a credit card, the money gets transferred to a designated holding account. They put your card number as the reference on that money transfer and the bank applies the credit to the card to which that number relates. If it's an old/inactive/cancelled card, the money will just sit in the holding account until the customer (in this case, you) calls to rectify it. I wouldn't worry; your money is (most likely) safe as houses. It might just take them a few hours to sort it out for you when you ring them because the person you get through to will likely have to contact a different dept to get it sorted for you. Happens pretty often with credit cards though, not really a huge deal.

• Advertisement

I'll give them a shout tomorrow morning so. Thanks for your time mate!

No probs, hope it works out!

Advertisement