Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to reattach a coaxial cable to a Status 315 Omni Directional Caravan Aerial

Options
  • 02-04-2013 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

I have (had :() a Status 315 Omni Directional Caravan Aerial on my campervan.

Unfortunately, I knocked it from the campervan :o and the coaxial cable became detached from the dome housing. I managed to open the dome housing and can see where to reattach the coaxial cable to the circuit board.

However, what I am not sure of is how to reattach it. I know I will need to solder the coaxial cable copper wire to the circuit board. But the copper mesh inside the coaxial cable casing does this also need to be soldered? Does the coaxial cable copper wire need to touch of the aerial antenna above it?

If any of you have any diagrams/drawings/videos that could help me with this I would really appreciate it.

Finally, when I get this wiring issue sorted, is it ok to reseal the dome housing and to attach the Aerial to the Campervan with Tec 7?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

There is a PDF file 3-4 down in THIS list, might be of help to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Thanks for reply Dickwod1!

That pdf is helpful but what I needed was the diagrams of the internal of the antenna dome.

Anyway got it sorted with a bit of solder (and great advice from the boys in Maplin), adhesive and sealant. Sorted. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Don't use tec7, better to use Wurth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 artiechappie

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    I have (had :() a Status 315 Omni Directional Caravan Aerial on my campervan.

Unfortunately, I knocked it from the campervan :o and the coaxial cable became detached from the dome housing. I managed to open the dome housing and can see where to reattach the coaxial cable to the circuit board.

Hi Becul97,

I have a similar problem in that the aerial became detached from the van so I suspect that the coax has become detached inside the dome.

How do you manage to open it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Hi Becul97,

I have a similar problem in that the aerial became detached from the van so I suspect that the coax has become detached inside the dome.

How do you manage to open it?

Thanks

With patience and a decent hand saw!

In my case the two halves of the dome housing were glued together. Carefully cut along this line where the two halves meet. (I didn't have a vice but if you do remove the screw-in antenna spike from the top of the dome housing and then lock the dome housing into the vice, it will make cutting through the dome housing alot easier).

I needed to resolder the aerial back onto the PCB in the dome housing and then glue the two halves of the dome housing back together again using Tec7. I also had to glue the dome housing back on to the roof of the van, and again I used Tec7 for this. Thankfully its working perfectly for me again and the Tec7 is the job!

And other questions, let me know.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement