Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cottages in County Clare

• 02-04-2013 11:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49

Just planning next bank holiday weekend with the family kids 4 and 6 years old. Based in Kerry and thinking of heading to Fanore Beach. Looks quieter than la hinch or doolin. Anyhow few questions.

Anyone hear or stay at any of these cottages in county clare - can't find any reviews online or tripadvisor about.

Looking for quiet place near a beach is Fanore too quiet where there for families to do.
    Anywhere decent to eat in the evenings?
    Anything happening that weekend in the local area?
    Planning to spend 4/5 days in the area what activites for 4 and 6 yrs old to enjoy other than the beach.

Is it a sheltered beach or mad windy, should i be bringing kites!!
    Generally anything about Fanore I need to know, only other thread on boards about fanore are 3 years old and about surfing only.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fanore has the beach, apart from that and some walks, there's not too much to do. Depends on what yere after.

Vasco in fanore is a nice place to eat.

http://vasco.ie/index.php

There are some nice drives around that area, ailwee caves isn't too far away either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Fanore beach isn't sheltered. It could be wild enough there if the weather was breezy. I think Kilkee is the best place if you have kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 francomcdaddy

Vasco looks good and just been on ailwee caves website.
    Not looking for alot to do.
    Sleep in till about 10-11! travel somewhere with 1 hour. Lunch. Give the kids a run around somewhere in the afternoon and have somewhere nice to look forward to eating in the evenings as a day with kids can be tiring!
    After food just head back to self catering let kids watch and movie, and get them to bed so can spend some time with my wife!

when i saw the surfing thread just want to make sure not mad windy and completely desolate.

where the father ted place in relation to Kilkee.

Kilkee look sheltered and beach looks nice. How crowded does it get during a bank holiday weekend there.

I go all travis pickle from taxi driver if crowded with people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

where the father ted place in relation to Kilkee.

A bit of father ted was filmed in the caravan park in fanore

Father ted house is about 40 mins away from fanore near corofin (about 15 mins from ennis) . If you went to fanore You could spin up via lisdoonvarna, go to kilfenora and see the Burren centre and high crosses, also spot some more father ted scenes (pub in the Chinese episode, also where the milk float roundabout scene was) go towards ennis from there and you just turn left in a little place called kilnaboy which will bring you straight to the fr ted house, you can get tea and sandwiches there. That'll bring you into the Burren landscape too

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Flowergirl4

I'd definitely agree and recommend Kilkee. Has lots to do with children nice beach, beautiful cliff walks, mini arcardes, pitch and put, water world. Also has a large selection of restaurants and pubs. Nice little village Kilbaha is close for a drive too with Loop head lighthouse you can actually go up into. Father Ted's house is about 40 minutes from Kilkee. You can make a nice day trip out of it as you go through some nice little villages on the way e.g Lahinch and Quilty. Enjoy your holiday:) Also West Clare can be beautiful but wiiindy so yes bring the kite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A bit of father ted was filmed in the caravan park in fanore

Father ted house is about 40 mins away from fanore near corofin (about 15 mins from ennis) . If you went to fanore You could spin up via lisdoonvarna, go to kilfenora and see the Burren centre and high crosses, also spot some more father ted scenes (pub in the Chinese episode, also where the milk float roundabout scene was) go towards ennis from there and you just turn left in a little place called kilnaboy which will bring you straight to the fr ted house, you can get tea and sandwiches there. That'll bring you into the Burren landscape too

Tea at Fr Ted's house is brilliant but bear in mind you've to book in advance

http://www.fathertedshouse.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Check my sig. there :D

If you haven't seen the Cliffs of Moher already, you're too close not to see them. Well worth it.

Fanore is very open, can have a cutting breeze on a cold, windy day. That said, on a sunny day it's absolutely beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

We stay in Liscannor every summer in the Trident holiday homes, really good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

13spanner wrote: »
    Check my sig. there :D

There is an option on boards for people to block signatures from showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Clareman wrote: »
    There is an option on boards for people to block signatures from showing.

I know, I know, just thought it was a funny coincidence is all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

13spanner wrote: »
    I know, I know, just thought it was a funny coincidence is all.

If I've to go into my settings to show sigs and it's not worth it I'm going to ban you :D

Advertisement