Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

external insulation and internal finish of external walls

Options
  • 02-04-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,
    We're beginning to favour external insulation over internal but we're a bit concerned on how we will treat the internal side of the wall. We are also rewiring and replumbing so we may need to chase the walls and then replaster (if that's even an option given walls are 9" cavity blocks).
    Question is, do I need to have plaster boards internally or can I just replaster existing walls?
    I don't want to add too much to the expense of project.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Brave Harvey

With the 9 inch cavity blocks, I don't think chasing would be recommended. You have to take into account your airtightness layer and if this is in the inner side of block wall, I would recommend 50mm x 50mm timber battens and osb3 board as a cavity to run your services. The osb3 or other approved airtight board can be used as your airtight layer, all joints taped and sealed with the appropriate airtightness tapes. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Linto wrote: »
    Hi,
    We're beginning to favour external insulation over internal but we're a bit concerned on how we will treat the internal side of the wall. We are also rewiring and replumbing so we may need to chase the walls and then replaster (if that's even an option given walls are 9" cavity blocks).
    Question is, do I need to have plaster boards internally or can I just replaster existing walls?
    I don't want to add too much to the expense of project.

I asume from your Q this is a renovation and not a new build.

If it is already plastered internally i would consider chaseing the depth of the existing render. Then 1st fix the elec/Plumb. then render over this ensuring to reinforce the areas where services lay whith strips of Ex- Metal. then finish over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Linto

topcatcbr wrote: »
    I asume from your Q this is a renovation and not a new build.

If it is already plastered internally i would consider chaseing the depth of the existing render. Then 1st fix the elec/Plumb. then render over this ensuring to reinforce the areas where services lay whith strips of Ex- Metal. then finish over this.

That's right, its a renovation job. Thanks for advice. So if I understand correctly I don't need to erect plaster boards that would end up taking up internal space and also additional expense. I could hopefully chase the walls and cover appropriately. Right?

Advertisement