Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Longford Town FC - Match-fixing rumour

• 03-04-2013 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Longford Town FC wish to inform their supporters that the Club is in receipt of information with regard to a Longford Town player's possible involvement in activities which could be construed as conspiring to influence the results of matches. As a result of this information received Longford Town FC is obliged to notify the relevant authorities and conduct an internal investigation into the matter. The internal investigation has commenced. Subsequently one player has been suspended by the Club while the investigation takes place

http://ltfc.ie/index.php/press-release/#more-3687

Top of the League - but it could be true .........will have to wait and see

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

If that's the case then he never deserved to grace the theater of dreams that is the Flan-Siro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I don't think it's called the (Flan)siro anymore.

One of the best grounds in the whole country whatever it's called.

Hard to prove these things...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Ok,before false statements and posts start getting posted here,this case could be that a player was approached to try and fix games,he let the club know about the advances being made to him and the club did the right thing,they suspended the player and contacted the fai,who have launched their own investigation and have notified uefa and fifa... ltfc are also carrying out their own internal investigation. The club has not been found to be fixing games or anything like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

flas wrote: »
    Ok,before false statements and posts start getting posted here,this case could be that a player was approached to try and fix games,he let the club know about the advances being made to him and the club did the right thing,they suspended the player and contacted the fai,who have launched their own investigation and have notified uefa and fifa... ltfc are also carrying out their own internal investigation. The club has not been found to be fixing games or anything like that...

So if anybody offers a player a bribe and he reports it, then he gets suspended???

If that's the case i'll be on the phone to Suarez first thing in the morning ;)

scudzilla wrote: »
    So if anybody offers a player a bribe and he reports it, then he gets suspended???

If that's the case i'll be on the phone to Suarez first thing in the morning ;)

If the club want to be seen to be handling this in the right way then yes,absolutely suspend the player so no one can say anything untoward is happening...

And suarez probably wouldn't know what your on about,doesn't seem the brightest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

If the club want to be seen to be handling this in the right way then yes,absolutely suspend the player so no one can say anything untoward is happening...

And suarez probably wouldn't know what your on about,doesn't seem the brightest!

But surely nothing untoward is happening if he has told the club. He gets a bribe so throws the club of the scent by telling them he'sbeen offered a bribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Haha, I'm an Everton fan but even I find it insane that a thread about possible match-fixing in Ireland took just 5 posts to get to "Suarez is a thicko" :pac:

The wording of the statement really doesn't sound like the player himself reported it. You certainly wouldn't say he was "involved in activities which could be construed as conspiring to influence the results of matches" under those circumstances.

"An investigation into possible attempts to involve a longford town player with match fixing". That's the statement that has me thinking it happened the way I say it happened,but until we know more we know nothing! The town were odds on in all our games so far to win, and we have won them,except for one,which was the week before last,when said players suspension was said to have came into effect...seems like someone was trying to tap him up from the facts of the matter...

But surely nothing untoward is happening if he has told the club. He gets a bribe so throws the club of the scent by telling them he'sbeen offered a bribe.

What good did the "bribe" do?!the only game we lost,said player was not playing apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

What good did the "bribe" do?!the only game we lost,said player was not playing apparently...

I'm not sure, but it may have been something like giving away a peno or corners or something, doesn't necessarily have to be about the result of the game. Its a strange situation because you would think any decent amount of money being bet on a Longford game would raise eyebrows for bookies. Why would match fixers target something like that?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure, but it may have been something like giving away a peno or corners or something, doesn't necessarily have to be about the result of the game. Its a strange situation because you would think any decent amount of money being bet on a Longford game would raise eyebrows for bookies. Why would match fixers target something like that?

Surely the player would have to be on the pitch to give away a peno or corner! That's why in the statements in the media and coming from people within in the club its about someone attempting to get the player to do something,the player then telling the club he was approached and then the club have to tell the fai etc...I just don't want it to be seen that the club have done anything wrong in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

The bookies are terrible at LOI. It is easy for supporters to bet big on a certain outcome at big odds because they know it far better than a bookie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Current squad, im not naive enough to think it doesnt happen in most leagues. To put it into perspective some of the below players get €50 a week plus travel expenses......thats it. And its just some of them, others would only get travel expenses.

1 GK Chris Bennion
    2 DF Noel Haverty
    3 DF Chris Deans
    4 DF Willo McDonagh
    5 DF Willie Tyrrell
    6 DF Des Hope
    7 MF Keith Gillespie
    8 MF Mark Salmon
    9 MF Colm James
    10 FW Gary Shaw
    11 DF Michael Lee
    12 MF David O'Neill
    14 FW Daniel Purdy
    15 FW David O'Sullivan
    16 DF Gary Cronin
    17 MF Gavin Doyle
    18 GK Paul Hunt
    19 DF Corie Treacy
    20 MF Keith Quinn
    21 MF Etanda Nkololo
    22 FW Josh O'Hanlon
    23 FW Michael Isichei
    24 MF Aaron Brilly
    25 DF Brian McCarthy
    TBA DF Steven Boateng
    TBA MF Boni Odoemene
    TBA FW Alex Kenny

The bookies are terrible at LOI. It is easy for supporters to bet big on a certain outcome at big odds because they know it far better than a bookie.

Try bet more than 1500 on an LOI game so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Current squad, im not naive enough to think it doesnt happen in most leagues. To put it into perspective some of the below players get €50 a week plus travel expenses......thats it. And its just some of them, others would only get travel expenses.

1 GK Chris Bennion
    2 DF Noel Haverty
    3 DF Chris Deans
    4 DF Willo McDonagh
    5 DF Willie Tyrrell
    6 DF Des Hope
    7 MF Keith Gillespie
    8 MF Mark Salmon
    9 MF Colm James
    10 FW Gary Shaw
    11 DF Michael Lee
    12 MF David O'Neill
    14 FW Daniel Purdy
    15 FW David O'Sullivan
    16 DF Gary Cronin
    17 MF Gavin Doyle
    18 GK Paul Hunt
    19 DF Corie Treacy
    20 MF Keith Quinn
    21 MF Etanda Nkololo
    22 FW Josh O'Hanlon
    23 FW Michael Isichei
    24 MF Aaron Brilly
    25 DF Brian McCarthy
    TBA DF Steven Boateng
    TBA MF Boni Odoemene
    TBA FW Alex Kenny

Certain name on that list with a bit of history. It'll be interesting to see if he's involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Madworld wrote: »
    Certain name on that list with a bit of history. It'll be interesting to see if he's involved.

PM me to see if we are thinking on same lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Witchie wrote: »
    PM me to see if we are thinking on same lines.

Hardly rocket science now to think of who he's talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Well I do know its defo not the one most people would suspect. Jaysus you lot are not exactly great detectives if you go for the obvious one! Lol.

Even a cursory glance at squads in our last two games and you could see it isn't who you are thinking. I'd be very surprised if it isn't who I think it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

As a reminder, let's not name anyone - not that anyone was going to :)

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    As a reminder, let's not name anyone - not that anyone was going to :)

Post the squad and leave it too peoplss imaginations :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Colm James has been given an 18 month ban !

From www.extratime.ie

Longford Town's Colm James has received an 18 month ban after being found guilty on six counts of breaching rules associated with match integrity.

In a statement released by the FAI it stated:

The FAI Disciplinary Committee has banned a Longford Town player from all football-related activities for 18 months after he was found guilty on six counts of breaching FAI Rules associated with match integrity. The player has the right of appeal under FAI Rule 158.

Following a two month detailed investigation involving UEFA, FIFA and An Garda Síochána, the FAI’s Disciplinary Regulations Officer brought a case against the player to the FAI Disciplinary Committee.

After hearing evidence from both sides, the FAI Disciplinary Committee found the Longford Town FC player had breached FAI Rules 95, 99.1, 102.1, 102.2a, 102.2e, 102.2f.

This decision has been made with reference to sporting rules and procedures only. Any other action which may be taken is a matter for statutory authorities.

FAI Rule Book 2013
    RULE 95. BRINGING THE GAME INTO DISREPUTE
    Any Member or Participant who has brought the game of football or the FAI into disrepute by any means, written, verbal, by action or otherwise shall be sanctioned with a suspension and/or fine and/or a ban on performing any football related activity or other sanction deemed appropriate.

RULE 99. CORRUPTION

1. Anyone who offers, promises or grants an unjustified advantage to a body or employee of the FAI, a Match Official, a Player or an Official on behalf of himself or a third party in an attempt to incite it or him to violate the rules of the FAI, the Confederations or FIFA shall be sanctioned:
    a) with a fine, and/or;
    b) with a ban on taking part in any football-related activity and/or;
    c) with a ban on entering any stadium

RULE 102. BETTING / GAMBLING

1. Anyone who engages in any behaviour that damages or could damage the integrity of matches and competitions may be subject to disciplinary sanctions. All persons are obliged to cooperate fully with the Association in all efforts to combat such behaviour.

2. Anyone who engages in any of the following may be subject to disciplinary sanction:

a) acting in a manner that is likely to exert an influence on the course and/or result of a match or competition by means of behaviour with a view to gaining an advantage for themselves or a third party;

e) failing to immediately and voluntarily inform the Association if approached in connection with activities aimed at influencing the course and/or result of a match or competition;

f) failing to immediately and voluntarily report to the Association any behaviour that they may be aware of that falls within the scope of this Rule;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

What a prick.

Wouldn't mind but he was a handy player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Was Colm James the above person that people were referring to?

Well I was referring to him anyway. It was easy to see!

Well I was referring to him anyway. It was easy to see!
    But judging by your post, the other people weren't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He was caught at Longford. I hope the Garda have a full investigation into his dealings before Longford.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

18 months is too lenient in my opinion. I'd like at least 2 seasons and some sort of financial penalty through a courts process. There's pretty much nothing I hate more in football than what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

18 months is too lenient in my opinion. I'd like at least 2 seasons and some sort of financial penalty through a courts process. There's pretty much nothing I hate more in football than what he did.

What exactly is the accusation?

• Advertisement

What exactly is the accusation?

Match-fixing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He was caught at Longford. I hope the Garda have a full investigation into his dealings before Longford.
    Is there a low against this in the ROI?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

eagle eye wrote: »

Doesn't get much lower.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Match-fixing.

Attempted match-fixing from what I've heard.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Attempted match-fixing from what I've heard.

Obviously there's a difference in a legal context, but not so much in a sporting context in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

I'd agree completely. IMO it would be too good for him if he was banned from football for life.

Hopefully he gets done by the guards. :mad:

• Advertisement

Thing is though, if this did go to the courts, God only knows what we might end up finding out. Would imagine this is only the tip of the iceberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Well done to LTFC for the way they dealt with the issue ! A lifetime ban is what he deserves !

PFAI come out saying it was investigated correctly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

With the Corruption part he was obviously trying to get others involved. If that was match officials or players I don't know but someone did the right thing and reported him and he got caught.

I'd imagine match fixing is rife in a lot of countries, no reason to think Ireland would be any different.

He's hardly the only one at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine match fixing is rife in a lot of countries, no reason to think Ireland would be any different.

He's hardly the only one at it.

In fairness anybody that follows LOI football know that is rife in our league and there have been lots of rumours over the last few years about the team he played for previously to Longford.

With the Corruption part he was obviously trying to get others involved. If that was match officials or players I don't know but someone did the right thing and reported him and he got caught.

He tried to get another player to do it, other player informed club.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    He tried to get another player to do it, other player informed club.

I always wondered how that was got around. When starting these things off there is always the risk of another player telling you to **** off and reporting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Obviously there's a difference in a legal context, but not so much in a sporting context in my view.

Actually probably not much of a difference in a legal context, the main difference being that a match wasn't actually fixed in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I know you can mention them here.

But have any of ye heard of any other players who might have been match fixing in LOI? Never heard of any myself.

Just wondering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Flag the Athlone fans brought to the flan siro the other night.
    I thought it was funny.

1011838_481497991933065_2109052398_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

eagle eye wrote: »

If you are trying to illegally get money of a bookie that is an illegal offence.

The thing is the bar used to convict someone for a sporting offence is lower than a criminal one and in this case it didnt happen he want to another player looking to influence the game but the player reported him.

Also it doesnt have to be the match result it could be half time score, time of first corner, throw in etc I presume?

The father of a really really well known player was arrested for getting involved in the same sort of stuff in Britain are you telling me his son didn't know? And maybe wasnt involved?

Advertisement