Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the Gulf Stream is south in summer?

Options
  • 03-04-2013 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

From what I've heard, the Gulf Stream cools us in the winter, and in the summer.

So, if it happens to be south of us this summer, will we have drier, warmer weather?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

From what I've heard, the Gulf Stream cools us in the winter, and in the summer.

So, if it happens to be south of us this summer, will we have drier, warmer weather?

Gulf Stream is an ocean current that warms Western Europe. The jet stream is the high level air mass that is currently further south than usual, allowing air cold from the east to dominate Europe. Presume that's what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Gulf Stream is an ocean current that warms Western Europe. The jet stream is the high level air mass that is currently further south than usual, allowing air cold from the east to dominate Europe. Presume that's what you mean?

Jet stream, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

No, AFAIK, the jet stream being farther south than normal has been the cause of our string of terrible winters summers.

EDIT: I meant summers not winters. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jet stream to the south means east winds from a hot Eurasia, so toasty! It won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

mike65 wrote: »
    Jet stream to the south means east winds from a hot Eurasia, so toasty! It won't happen.

Jet stream to the south could also mean a cool showery summer :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

So business as usual then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »

Yeah sorry I should have added with the HP to the north, otherwise yes it would be another cool damp summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

the el nino, la nino phenonem has even more influence on our summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

flutered wrote: »
    the el nino, la nina phenonem has even more influence on our summer.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Larbre34 wrote: »
    FYP

Didn't fix it enough, phenomenon ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Basically whatever happens its going to be damp and overcast this summer as per the last x thousand years is what I am hearing :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement