Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**First Years 2013-2014**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

NellyDean wrote: »
    Whoa. That is some craic I would NOT mind missing :P

I'll be renting at this rate then so!

What course are you looking for to get into?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

What course are you looking for to get into?
    Arts , French & Irish:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 shanelad95

NellyDean wrote: »
    Whoa. That is some craic I would NOT mind missing :P

I'll be renting at this rate then so!

Corrib village is the best craic youll ever have.. dont be put off by someone who talked to the security guard, hes obviously not gonna say "oh were easy going, its nuts" haha

• Registered Users Posts: 30 _Talia

I'm going into first year and I've applied to Donnegan Court and Corrib for accomodation.. got a room in corrib and so did all my friends but I'm not sure what to do. What if I get a room in Donegan ? Should I take it or go to Corrib the buck for first year ? Is it really that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭AndyMc

The consensus is that is corrib you wont get anythin special. Its not luxourious. However its the best place for to have the craic and meet people for your first year since corrib isnt really an option after first year.

• Advertisement

Is corrib really strict though ? In fairness I don't really want to have trouble with friends staying over as a lot of my friends are going to DCU or UCD and will want to visit...

Your listen to that lad who talked to security arnt ya? From what I gather its not. To have a mate over you need to log them in with reception and permission from your housemates.

Naturally security will say that they dont take any crap bit really they wouldnt be doing their job if they said otherwise. But Corribs reputation as a party spot should tell you otherwise.

Its like anything. Probably strict at the start but once you settle in you find things relax and you find ways around things.

Yeah I was thinking that I mean the security would hardly go around saying they let anyone in especially on an open day! Still not sure what to pick though as I love the look of Donegan Court and only applied to Corrib couse of my friends.. it's a tough choice since living with my best friends would be perfect but it's time to meet new people I suppose

For meeting people its corrib all the way from what I hear. Me for one hopefully :P

Good job so. I'm just afraid of arriving on the day and being told I'm living with complete strangers, I'd love to have at least one of my friends with me and since i put down their names I hope I will! What course are you planning on doing ?

• Advertisement

_Talia wrote: »
    Good job so. I'm just afraid of arriving on the day and being told I'm living with complete strangers, I'd love to have at least one of my friends with me and since i put down their names I hope I will! What course are you planning on doing ?

Computer Science and IT hopefully :D

And the stranger thing dosent really bother me for two reasons:
    1. They're new as well and meeting complete strangers
    2. From boards alone I now know 4 other people hoping to go to NUIG so really im not completely alone going there.

What are you going for?

Oh sounds interesting! Hopefully Psychology but don't think i'll get the points.

Yeah you're right about that I suppose and you'd quickly get used to new people anyway. I'm too excited to be worried about it too much anyway.

Oh sounds interesting! Hopefully Psychology but don't think i'll get the points.

Yeah you're right about that I suppose and you'd quickly get used to new people anyway. I'm too excited to be worried about it too much anyway.

How many points is phychology? And Comp Sci is alot of maths. Not the most interesting until later years when your actually making stuff.

For the first few weeks everybodies new. Already you know one friendly person - me so you have a headstart on the rest.
    Cannot wait. Really really want to go to NUIG.

AndyMc wrote: »
    How many points is phychology? And Comp Sci is alot of maths. Not the most interesting until later years when your actually making stuff.

For the first few weeks everybodies new. Already you know one friendly person - me so you have a headstart on the rest.
    Cannot wait. Really really want to go to NUIG.

Oh it's 535 but my second option is doing it through arts and hopefully getting in during second year so should be ok. Ah well good luck with that!

That's true - everyone is on the same boat in september and sure thats what freshers week is for :D

Oh it's 535 but my second option is doing it through arts and hopefully getting in during second year so should be ok. Ah well good luck with that!

That's true - everyone is on the same boat in september and sure thats what freshers week is for :D

Holy **** I just noticed your location.

Holy **** I just noticed your location.

Ha what's wrong with Cavan ? :pac:

Ha what's wrong with Cavan ? :pac:

Only the fact it is the most awesome county ever to grace Ireland. Ulster semi finalists and all round awesome people.

Only the fact it is the most awesome county ever to grace Ireland. Ulster semi finalists and all round awesome people.

oh well yeah obviously sure I'm awesome :D

oh well yeah obviously sure I'm awesome :D

Well now your even going to NUIG with another Cavan person.

Well now your even going to NUIG with another Cavan person.

No way ? the world is really small. A good few people from Cavan are going to NUIG

• Advertisement

No way ? the world is really small. A good few people from Cavan are going to NUIG

3 or 4 from my school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Hi,

Quick note: It was mentioned a few posts back but If you are looking for accommodation etc it goes into this thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056216375&page=50

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

for the ones who are doing arts, can I enquire as to why you chose arts at galway over other colleges? :)

Good rep and lower points presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

Hi everyone!

Haven't was just browsing and noticed this thread. Look at ye all excited for college! I've just finished my second year here, and I have to say, it's a pretty awesome place. Here's a few nuggets of info for ye some a real life college student *swoon*:

1. Despite what it says on its website, Donnegan Court is not 3 mins walk from the college. While I've never been there, I know it takes about 10 mins to walk from where it says it is on the map. No biggie though.

2. Gort/Dún/Cúirt na Coribe are nice places to live and are about 15-20mins from campus. However, to get from there to campus means you have to cross Quincentenary Bridge, which, during the winter time, is the longest walk of your life--it's totally exposed, so you get totally drenched and wind-swept if the weather is bad.

3. Corrib Village is party central. Don't expect to sleep. While it's always seen as "good craic" and a good way to meet people, it's very damp (the smell of mould during the winter time is vile) and there seems to be a party on nearly every night. If you value your "quiet time", don't go here.

4. Dúnaras is another misleading advertisement. While the accommodation seems to be nice, spacious and of a good standard, it is a looooooong walk to college (approx. 30-35 mins). It's also located in a semi-dodgy area (Westside). I've walked home from there a few times at night and didn't exactly feel safe.

5. Having said that, Galway is a very safe city in general. But at the same time, exercise caution. Don't walk home alone at night, etc.

6. If the cost of living is an issue for you, look into getting private accommodation instead of student accommodation (SA). While bills are included in the SA fees, it still works out more expensive than renting privately. Do your sums!

7. If you're gonna go for private accommodation, start looking as soon as you've gotten your results (or, if you know that you are definitely definitely going to Galway, start looking now). The accommodation officers in the university are always helpful.

8. Don't be afraid to live with strangers. Yes, there's the possibility of them being horrible, but there's also the possibility of being really nice.

9. Don't worry about "meeting people" either. College is the time to find out who you really are. Many of us have come from classes of ~150, most of whom we don't like (don't lie, it's true and you know it). You'll meet hundreds of people in college, especially if you join societies. Some will instantly become your BFFs, others will be acquaintances. Don't be afraid to try new things and introduce yourself!

10. Join societies and clubs. As many as you want. They're all free to join in NUIG, so what's stopping you?! The socs scene is amazing here. I've met so many people here. There's something for everyone, and if you think there's a gap in the market, talk to the Socs Officer about setting up your own society! :)

I think I've said enough for now. If anyone has any questions about life in NUIG, ask them here or PM me. :)

pourquoi wrote: »
    I think I've said enough for now. If anyone has any questions about life in NUIG, ask them here or PM me. :)

Is there a rugby club?

Is there a rugby club?

Sure is!

Here's a list of all the clubs: http://www.clubs.nuigalway.ie/club_profiles/

And societies: http://socs.nuigalway.ie/society_profiles/search/

Any idea if they're like top notch professional sortor if someone completely new can join?

Thanks though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Are the clubs free to join? How do they work?

• Advertisement

I'm not a member of any clubs, but they're free to join on Clubs Day, which takes place within the first week of your arrival.

Clubs and societies are run by student-elected committees.

Anybody can join a club or society, irrespective of their level of expertise--it's all very liberal around here! Clubs often have beginner classes in their respective fields.

Any other questions about Galway? I can offer advice about Medicine too. :)

Advertisement