Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn back on deactivated line

Options
  • 03-04-2013 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi

Im in a house that had Eircom phone in a few years back. At 2 points in the house.

I want to get in Broadband, talking to Sky Online, it's not possible with them as they can't activate the line.

Is it just a matter of ringing Eircom to do this?

Also, are the (frankly Insane) quoted prices on Eircoms Site of €60+ for a poxy 3MB connection set in stone or if I ring will they improve???

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hi, I would like to know the exact same thing. I moved into a house that had eircom a few years back. I need to reactivate/reinstall the phone line but I don't want to pay 60 euro for 5 mb's broadband when Sky are offerring 8mb's broadband and TV for 50 euro.

I rang Eircom and they advised they can setup a new installation for free but I will be in a 12 month contract for 25 euro a month.

Sky told me once the line is activated, they can move me to Sky but Eircom will decide to let me go for free or charge an early termination fee.

Can you confirm how much the termination fee is? Also, can I bypass the termination fee as I'm sure Sky will be paying Eircom for use of the line anyway?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

a1zz wrote: »
    Hi

Im in a house that had Eircom phone in a few years back. At 2 points in the house.

I want to get in Broadband, talking to Sky Online, it's not possible with them as they can't activate the line.

Is it just a matter of ringing Eircom to do this?

Also, are the (frankly Insane) quoted prices on Eircoms Site of €60+ for a poxy 3MB connection set in stone or if I ring will they improve???

Thanks.

Hi  a1zz,

It used to be the process that eircom old connect all new full installations (prior to the minimum 12 month contract with eircom came into effect). Customers could connect the line / account with eircom and then transfer to another provider.

I can confirm this is no longer the case. There is a minimum 12 month contract for all new accounts / telephone lines set up.

So whichever provider you wish to connect to, have to set up the line / account. It may be a case the order has to be sent to eircom technicians by the company to install (however the account / order activation has to go through the provider the customer wishes to join.

If you want to PM your address, I can confirm the broadband package options available with eircom?

Thanks, Mark

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Hi, I would like to know the exact same thing. I moved into a house that had eircom a few years back. I need to reactivate/reinstall the phone line but I don't want to pay 60 euro for 5 mb's broadband when Sky are offerring 8mb's broadband and TV for 50 euro.

I rang Eircom and they advised they can setup a new installation for free but I will be in a 12 month contract for 25 euro a month.

Sky told me once the line is activated, they can move me to Sky but Eircom will decide to let me go for free or charge an early termination fee.

Can you confirm how much the termination fee is? Also, can I bypass the termination fee as I'm sure Sky will be paying Eircom for use of the line anyway?

Thanks.

Hi sheehy83,

I hope the above reply to a1zz answers the majority of your query.

The contract with eircom is 12 months. So the cancellation fee is the remainder of the 12 month contract after the account has been ceased / transferred.

The termination fee can not be by passed I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 a1zz

If you want to PM your address, I can confirm the broadband package options available with eircom?
    Did that there.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You might want to clarify that with Sky. The normal process in Ireland these days is you get whichever operator you're going to use to activate the line.

They have systems in place that automatically set it up with Eircom Wholesale.

I've moved twice and activated lines via other providers without any problem at all.

The procedure in the UK is you have to open the line with BT first, that's not at all the case in Ireland. I'd say Sky are somehow confused.

Seems a bit stupid of them to be throwing away business too.

• Advertisement

a1zz wrote: »
    Did that there.

Thanks.

Hi a1zz,

I am afraid there is no indication as to if or when either broadband or fibre will be available at the COLEHILL exchange in Lomgford.

I was unable to get any definitive indication or time-frame as to when the situation may change.

Sorry I could not get back with any good news.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement