Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under the Eagle series

Options
  • 03-04-2013 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Has anyone indulge themselves in Simon Scarrow Under the Eagle Series?

Started reading them 3 months back just finished the last one excited about the coming two later this years.

Also read Ben Kane new book Roman based also, and Ships of Rome {forgot Author name} all fantastic reads.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sorry but I'm of the exact opposite opinion; I found the books (only could get through first two) to be boring and going through motions with very poor story that develops about as quickly as a glacier smelting and has as big surprises as a Hollywood love story.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Nody wrote: »
    Sorry but I'm of the exact opposite opinion; I found the books (only could get through first two) to be boring and going through motions with very poor story that develops about as quickly as a glacier smelting and has as big surprises as a Hollywood love story.

Really?, I found them quite good but i suppose different tastes.

You should have a look at this later books like Eagle in the Sand i found best, and Gladiator.

Can you recommend any other other reads?..

Have you read Ben Kane ''Hannibal Enemy of Rome'' or ''Ship of Rome'' by John Stack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Depends on what you want to read :) I'm not much of a Roman era fan myself but Foacault's Pendelum, The Lies of Locke Lamora etc. is what I'm more inclined towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I read Ben Kane's "Hannibal: Enemy of Rome". Decent enough, seemed to be written and researched fairly well just some parts were quite predictable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I've not read Mr. Kane but for a good series of Roman era books I'd recommend Harris' Cicero series and the early parts of Lindsay Davis' Falco series.

• Advertisement
Advertisement