Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning a puppy

• 03-04-2013 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Got a new Bichon 2 months old but he got his second vac n worm yesterday the poop is now liquid and is staining his area ie legs and tail and back passage I find using baby wipes isn't really cleaning it as his coat is so furry ive tried trimming but im afraid to hurt him?

Could I bring him to a groomer at this early stage who could trim his back area and back legs maybe so he's easier to clean?

Is it ok to pop him in a basin every day just to clean his backside is their a special dog shampoo I can use? Many thanks any house breaking tips welcome also :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Sunny.Days

There is special dog shampoo u can get but I'm not sure if it's too strong for his skin as he's only a puppy. I'd definitely recommend washing him, the earlier the better just to get him used to being bathed so he's comfortable with it (just remember if you're using the hairdryer not to let it get too hot)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Does he always have diarrhoea? I can't tell from your post.

A groomer would help you out for sure but I'd also be addressing the cause here and if he constantly has the runs then something is not right.

For house training just have a search on this forum, it's been discussed many times before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

hes probably just a bit off after his vaccination and worming tablet - if hes not better in a day or so, i'd have a chat with the vet.

as for washing his back side,you cant go wrong with baby shampoo and it wont do him any harm.

dont leave it too long for his first groom, as a bichon, he'll have to be groomed often so best getting him used to it as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Toulouse wrote: »
    Does he always have diarrhoea? I can't tell from your post.

A groomer would help you out for sure but I'd also be addressing the cause here and if he constantly has the runs then something is not right.

For house training just have a search on this forum, it's been discussed many times before.

Not always just since he had his vacc n worming still has it today pure liquid how long should it last?

hes probably just a bit off after his vaccination and worming tablet - if hes not better in a day or so, i'd have a chat with the vet.

as for washing his back side,you cant go wrong with baby shampoo and it wont do him any harm.

dont leave it too long for his first groom, as a bichon, he'll have to be groomed often so best getting him used to it as soon as possible.

That's reassuring thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What food is the puppy on at the moment? Just try and make sure its on a good quality one.

andreac wrote: »
    What food is the puppy on at the moment? Just try and make sure its on a good quality one.

One I got from petworld the vet said its excellent cant remember the name of it begins with an E it's dry puppy food. The breeder had him on pedigree puppy which I heard is sh*t so that's why I went with the better one.

Advertisement