Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap dentist but really good

Options
  • 03-04-2013 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

looking for a dentist near blackpool cork or the city that's cheap but good i'm looking to get a filling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

chloe90 wrote: »
    looking for a dentist near blackpool cork or the city that's cheap but good i'm looking to get a filling

UCC dental school are half the pice generally, can't comment on the quality though. Everything gets checked by consultant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Blarney Street dental clinic is very good (me + family have used it for years). Can't remember price of a filling though, it's been a few years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Either you want a cheap dentist, or you want a good one. The two do not go hand in hand....

Having said that - Try the Onslow Gardens Clinic in Parklands. Tel: 021 439 8572.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I hate these threads - "I want top quality xxxxxxxxx but want to pay feck all for it".

Something as important as the dentist you shouldn't be looking for a scrounging option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Either you want a cheap dentist, or you want a good one. The two do not go hand in hand....

Having said that - Try the Onslow Gardens Clinic in Parklands. Tel: 021 439 8572.
    gimmick wrote: »
    I hate these threads - "I want top quality xxxxxxxxx but want to pay feck all for it".

Something as important as the dentist you shouldn't be looking for a scrounging option.

Why because the cheap dentists trained in some back alley in Kosovo is it?

All dentists are trained to the same standards - maybe there are some perfectly good dentists who want to break the price fixing cartel operated by Irish dentists for years. Or ones who cant quite break into the market and need to compete on price.

It's about time the customer stopped letting dentists charge what ever they like and start voting with their feet.

• Advertisement

Why because the cheap dentists trained in some back alley in Kosovo is it?

All dentists are trained to the same standards - maybe there are some perfectly good dentists who want to break the price fixing cartel operated by Irish dentists for years. Or ones who cant quite break into the market and need to compete on price.

It's about time the customer stopped letting dentists charge what ever they like and start voting with their feet.

What price fixing cartels are you talking about? :confused: Dentists study for seven years. They then have to do at least two years post-grad study. Not to mention courses to keep up with new technologies, new methods over the years. For that kind of expertise, you have to pay. Just like doctors. Did you also know that most dentists in Ireland are BDS trained - i.e. trained in the UK?

Like anything in life, you get what you pay for. If you want a cheap job, then fair enough. But you can't expect a top job for no money. Nor can you expect something cheap to last. There are of course exceptions to the rule, but by and large, that's what I've found in life. Therefore you can either want something cheap or want something better. The two do not go hand in hand as I've said.

I take the view I can't afford to pay for something twice. I'd rather pay a bit more and get something better (not just dental treatment, but anything 'big ticket') that will last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 chloe90

i just mean im looking for a doctor who is good but reasonably priced . where i'm from dentist cost more depending on there location like in a nice part of town its going to be more expensive than a not so nice part, but i mean a dentist is a dentist to me . i'm just looking for a friendly reasonably priced place that people from cork trust.

Are you in the Northside, OP?

If you're anywhere near Blackpool, then Dr Morrison at Blackpool Bridge is very good. The dentist? I use Onslow Gardens as I've said. My husband uses Ken O'Connell who has an office in town (By Larry Tompkin's bar), and another office in Blackpool Village.

All will take a Medical Card if you need to.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 chloe90

yah thanks i'm in blackpool cork

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dentists study for seven years. They then have to do at least two years post-grad study. Not to mention courses to keep up with new technologies, new methods over the years. For that kind of expertise, you have to pay. Just like doctors. Did you also know that most dentists in Ireland are BDS trained - i.e. trained in the UK?

Taking this as the case, please explain to me how a dentist who charges less, ie a cheap dentist, can be in any way inferior. Have they not trained for seven years and done at least two years post-grad study etc. etc.??
    Propagating the notion that a cheap dentist is an inferior one just props up the system of dentists charging what they like.

I just don't get the notion that just because dentists and doctors spend quite a while studying (mostly at the tax payer's expense), that they have a right to be amongst the wealthiest people in society. Lots of other people spend a long time training too but don't seem to have this sense of entitlement.

OP, I also use Ken O Connell, though I don't imagine he's any cheaper than any one else but I like his manner and his less is more approach to dental work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Are they cheap or are they good? :pac:

I go to Pat Hartnett in Mayfield - haven't been in a few years mind you so can't comment on price, but was very happy with my treatment the last time I went.

Loire wrote: »
    Are they cheap or are they good? :pac:

Exactly....

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

and for orthodontics????

and for orthodontics????

Are you looking for an orthodontist? :confused:

Advertisement