Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French - add on to Teaching qualification

• 03-04-2013 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi folks. I'm in year three of a French Open University degree. I currently am registered with the TU for Business Subjects but not for French.

I know that the OU French Degree isn't sufficient for recognition with the Teaching Council (eg. it doesn't cover literature etc). I was just wondering if anyone else did French through this or a similar route and what subjects/modules they had to do to supplement the qualification in order to be recognised by the TU. (I'm in Maynooth so I could do the extra modules at NUIM but am wondering which modules did you have to do and what way did you organise it - I'm just trying to get an idea first before I decide on handing over €200 to the TU).

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi folks. I'm in year three of a French Open University degree. I currently am registered with the TU for Business Subjects but not for French.

I know that the OU French Degree isn't sufficient for recognition with the Teaching Council (eg. it doesn't cover literature etc). I was just wondering if anyone else did French through this or a similar route and what subjects/modules they had to do to supplement the qualification in order to be recognised by the TU. (I'm in Maynooth so I could do the extra modules at NUIM but am wondering which modules did you have to do and what way did you organise it - I'm just trying to get an idea first before I decide on handing over €200 to the TU).

Many thanks in advance.

Hi laurenpedro, you would be better off to get the Teaching Council to assess your qualifications before you start any other course. I completed French modules (Evening BA programme) and didn't get it assessed prior to my study as I knew already that I had a shortfall in literature. When I sent in my transcripts the TC said they didn't know what I did as the modules weren't on the recognised list of degree programmes and that I would have to get my qualifications assessed. So it is going to cost you €200 anyway and you would be better off doing it now before you need your registration and when you're finished your course you just send in your transcripts and a copy of the letter / whatever they tell you what your shortfall is. However if you're going to do a complete BA then there will be no problem as the degree has already been assessed and doesn't require assessment. I hope this helps. Bonne chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 laurenpedro123

Thanks for that. I'll end up with a BA but I'll have had exemptions from year 1 and 2 plus because I haven't done literature etc I know that these will be my shortfalls.

I guess I'm just more curious as to how people managed with the add-on modules later on to make up for the shortfalls and what extra modules they took to ensure compliance with the TU.

(I will have to pay the 200 to the TC anyway but just trying to get an idea in advance of what is probably ahead in terms of extra study / time etc).

Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Thanks for that. I'll end up with a BA but I'll have had exemptions from year 1 and 2 plus because I haven't done literature etc I know that these will be my shortfalls.

I guess I'm just more curious as to how people managed with the add-on modules later on to make up for the shortfalls and what extra modules they took to ensure compliance with the TU.

(I will have to pay the 200 to the TC anyway but just trying to get an idea in advance of what is probably ahead in terms of extra study / time etc).

Many thanks

How can you have a BA in only one subject? Or are you doing two subjects? If you are going to graduate with a full BA (two subjects, I think thats 180 credits) then the course has already been assessed and you won't need to do it. If you are just doing modules you will need to get your qualifications assessed and you will not be graduating with a BA although you may graduate with a Higher Diploma in French - It depends which university you go to - it wasn't offered where I went - I just got my transcript.

I got exemptions aswell for year one and two (although I completed the diploma (year 2) as I was unemployed and it was a hobby and it was good practice for what was to come). I could also have been exempted from the translation studies and just completed the literature modules but I thought it would be interest to do the translation classes and I was right.

I hope this answers your questions.

Advertisement