Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a setup to a complete newbie?

• 03-04-2013 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just looking for advice on a setup for my dad. I am (currently) OK with the HDMI cable from laptop to TV thus far but my folks are non too happy with this 'fiddling around with cables malark' to quote specifically. :)

I just wish to put some old films and TV shows on a memory device for them to watch, but the Bravia won't support many files, and then it offers them very few options - e.g. skip scene, go back etc.

I am aware of Media Players but have never really thought about getting one, until now and would love some advice before I rush off and get into it and buy two setups.

Any advice of where to start would be great - I simply want a media device that is easy to use and supports a host of files that isn't going to break the bank.

Cheers,
    T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Cyclone Micro2 is a great little device that im sure will suit them. It plays all video formats and the best feature is that it will remember the point they leave and get back to a film on another day so you dont have to start from the start again. Its small and connects to the tv via hdmi, theres also a power cable so there isnt that much cable malarkey. Just buy a 32gb usb stick and pack it with films and tv series and theyre away.
    Its a good starting point for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Hey Rounders,

Thanks for that advice! So it's really that simple for starting off at the basic level? Pick up one of those, a high memory USB and plug and play?

I just want to pick them up something to get them started, then upgrade in a while if needs be. The WD Media Player looks fantastic, but at approx 100 EUR is a bit costly as a 'test run'. But perhaps if this one satisfies their needs for now.

Yeah definately start here its keeping it very simple, its where i started and i still think its the bees knees despite subsequently getting an appletv, androidtv box, and htpc!. Like you say its just plug and play and not on a network or wifi or anything.
    One very slight negative is that the buttons on the remote are kind of hard to see but thats easy to get used too. They will love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Id recommend the Cyclone aswell, It does the job of playing media files and its really simple to use. The version I have has an unresponsive remote control but I read its been fixed in later versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will order one of these for them. They are in their 60s so not old old, but anything involving wires and changing scarts etc frustrates them :)

Must grab a cable too by the looks of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

master-t wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I will order one of these for them. They are in their 60s so not old old, but anything involving wires and changing scarts etc frustrates them :)

Must grab a cable too by the looks of it?

From memory it came with a composite lead (Yellow, White & Red) but you will need to buy a HDMI cable.

yeah comes with a composite lead (Yellow, White & Red) but you dont need to use this once your using a hdmi cable. Just leave that in the box.

Advertisement