Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 year old and song lyrics

Options
  • 03-04-2013 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Just wondering am I being a bit silly over this. % year old is singing gangnam style lately heard it in school but the only line he knows is the sexy lady line!!!

Part of me feels dont make an issue out of it he is 5 and aint got a clue what it means and only singing it to be cool other part of me is wtf he is 5 this is just the continuing sexualisation of our children :confused:

What do you guys do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'd say ignore it, he'll soon enough forget the song and move on to something else (it's pretty harmless in any case). If you make a big issue of it he'll wonder why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

racso1975 wrote: »
    Just wondering am I being a bit silly over this. % year old is singing gangnam style lately heard it in school but the only line he knows is the sexy lady line!!!

Part of me feels dont make an issue out of it he is 5 and aint got a clue what it means and only singing it to be cool other part of me is wtf he is 5 this is just the continuing sexualisation of our children :confused:

What do you guys do?

That line sounds different to the other sections of the song either side. Thats probably why its stuck in his head. He is probably singing it because he likes how it sounds in his head not because of the words sexy lady.
    I'd forget about it and give it no attention. He'll move onto something else soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I don't see how this has anything to do with 'sexualisation of our children'. The song isn't targeted at children. It would be a different story if it was from a children's TV show or similar.

Also, any child who understood the lyrics would be too embarrassed to sing it in front of their parents. So I be more concerned about a 5 year old who was too embarrassed to be singing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

racso1975 wrote: »

What do you guys do?

The only line I know is the sexy lady line and I'm in my 30s.

This song isn't the sexualisation of children. That's a serious over-reaction. It's about your kid singing a line from a catchy song that has been played on the radio/tv etc repeatedly over the last 6 months or so. Nothing more.

To be honest if you make an issue out of it he will be wondering why and will probably continue to sing the song rather than get bored with it because he will pick up on your reaction.

I sang along to plenty of Madonna songs as a child (Like a Virgin/ Papa Don't Preach) and hadn't a notion what they were about. If my mother had stopped me and told me I shouldn't be singing that song I'd have wondered why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Kids repeat far worse than a few song lyrics. Everyone knows the "Sexy lady" is from that song and that it is impossible not to hear at the moment. I remember being on a bus and a little girl, no more than 6 singing I Kissed a Girl, no one took notice. She had no idea what she was singing. My son sings Meatloafs two out of three a lot, it doesn't mean he'll never love a person, they are just song lyrics that stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Even if he understood the lyrics, it doesn't mean anything's wrong. I learned about sex from Monty Python when I was about 6, but I wasn't an overly sexualised child at all, in fact probably less so because I understood what it was to a degree so I needn't have been as curious about the goings on. Actually, I just thought the whole thing was quite silly. I doubt understanding the lyrics would give any problems and singing them CERTAINLY wouldn't. It's not sexualisation, he just thinks it's a good song or whatever, and even if he did know what sex was, he'd probably just think it was funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭battleaxe88

As others have said its just him singing a catchy song. This happened to me when I was a little girl. I was singing ' Im Horny, horny, horny, horny' in the car with my Dad. He told me to stop singing it. I had no idea why, until a few years later. Now the memory of it just makes me cringe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I find it much more disconcerting that my 10 and 8 year old daughters go around singing "I kissed a girl and I liked it".... (katy Perry)

Advertisement