Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Renewal Shocker

Options
  • 03-04-2013 11:18am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I recently got my renewal quote, and it had gone up from about 500 to 710. Quite a jump. I assumed it was due to my wife being on the policy with the recent EU legislation on gender and insurance.

Turns out she was reducing my insurance, so I checked around. Tesco were offering me the same cover, plus breakdown for 559.

AA reduced my premium initially to 491 (already saving me 219), and I pointed out that tesco has breadkdown cover, which AA (oddly) make you pay separately for. AA roadside rescue is about 100 per year, so they reduced my premium down to 439. So that plus my roadside cover will be 538ish. Not bad for a few phone calls. Saved myself €270. Will also be bargaining when my roadside stuff is up for renewal.

Paid with tesco credit card for extra points. :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its stories like this that makes it so unbelievable that anyone would just pay their renewal when it arrives without ringing around first.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah being loyal to insurance companies means throwing your money away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I just Copy pasted from other thread, but here what happened few minutes ago:

Got Insurance renewal on scooby today... Fecking 909eu

Call them asap with just one step away from going in to full "NERDRAGE OF DOOM" state! Fecking 5 years with same company and they just bend me to **** and dont even dine and wine me first!
    Very nice lady droped the price to 699eu. I am a Happy camper again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

biko wrote: »
    Yeah being loyal to insurance companies means throwing your money away.

I leave insurance companies because of this. Rang AXA to tell them I wasn't renewing and they were like.. you should of told us we would have reduced our quote. This makes my blood boil... they are happy to exploit you if they can!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

djimi wrote: »
    Its stories like this that makes it so unbelievable that anyone would just pay their renewal when it arrives without ringing around first.

Just got mine. €300 incl. Comp. on a new 131(D):D car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,487 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just got mine. €300 incl. Comp. on a new 131(D):D car.

Ah jesus, you would have to mention that its a D reg.

Can, open. Worms, everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What bugs me is that their renewal price is not their best price until you ring them and tell them that you are getting it cheaper somewhere else.

Seems a silly practice to me. Last time I didn't even ring my existing insurance company back to see if they could match or beat the cheaper price I got from a rival as there was hundreds of euros in the difference. If they could not be bothered offering me their best renewal price up front then I assumed they thought I was some sort of mug who would just renew without shopping around. I just rang them to tell them I wasn't renewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

€277.26 inc €25.00 admin fee, fully comp, 5 year NCB. €100.00 less than last year. Is this the gender equalisation happening?

Advertisement