Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

giraffe creche at elmpark

Options
  • 03-04-2013 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, does anyone have any experiences of the Giraffe creche in Elmpark? We are thinking of changing there but not sure how it is? Also I'm wondering if there are any parking around the dart in booterstown as I would have to leave the car there and take the dart to work. Many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Booterstown Dart station does have a good sized car park but it's pay and display so I think the cost could add up quickly enough. I can't think of anywhere around that area that isn't pay and display either but you might get lucky and find a quiet street.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I would not recommend the Giraffe chain for any child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 freo

lazygal wrote: »
    I would not recommend the Giraffe chain for any child.

Thanks for your reply. Why would you not recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bauble1

I have my lo in a g1raffe creche, we didn't get a good vibe initially when she started in baby room but she is there a few months now and in the wobbler room now. She seems settled and I am happy now too. DP is still unsure. It is a corp creche so can never be anything intimate for your child like one to one care but if you can accept that downside of the creche world then i would recommend g1raffe.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i did a interview for the giraffe chain and in this had a trial day and i was seriously unimpressed.

having worked in other chains before the giraffe interview and working in a high class one now i would have serious worries about any child in giraffe.

had i started to work there i would have been the only irish staff member, besides management in the whole creche. the baby room is split into 3 or 4 different mini rooms with 2 staff per room. the management told me at lunch time there would be only one staff there for a total of 2 hours. The day i viewed the creche there was 5 babies in each of these tiny rooms.

I thought the whole creche was very corporate and it didnt have a friendly vibe to it. There is no cosy area for the children to relax in and from what i was told they have a selection of toys which they take out only when prospective parents are viewing the rooms, the children would not get to play with these toys on a day to day basis.

The quality of the food given to the children was also extremly poor, and the menus were not varied and it was very processed in my opinion.

My experience in giraffe was 2 years ago now so it may have changed, but having been offered the job i turned it down as i didnt like the creche at all.

If you arent happy with the way your child is being cared for and are paying a huge sum of money every month then i would seriously consider moving my child.

• Advertisement

That is worrying Ene.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Very corporate sums it up. An obsession with box ticking, PR to impress parents and lots of 'head office commands' regardless of the children's needs. High staff turnover and when I inquired about qualifications I was fobbed off. I have a background in early childhood education and found their replies to my questions evasive and they weren't willing to get into deeper discussions.

bauble1 wrote: »
    That is worrying Ene.

of all the chains its the one i would not recomened, i have worked in another chain over a summer a few years ago and i am in a different chain now that i feel is very good and i would have no problem recommending it to anyone.

The thing that annoyed me most was the image that the staff put on when there was anyone visiting the creche. the whole thing was just fake.

In giraffe also i went through the whole interview process to a point of being given a uniform and a time to start and i had not been asked for my qualifications the whole time. I actually had to bring it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

ene wrote: »
    of all the chains its the one i would not recomened, i have worked in another chain over a summer a few years ago and i am in a different chain now that i feel is very good and i would have no problem recommending it to anyone.

The thing that annoyed me most was the image that the staff put on when there was anyone visiting the creche. the whole thing was just fake.

In giraffe also i went through the whole interview process to a point of being given a uniform and a time to start and i had not been asked for my qualifications the whole time. I actually had to bring it up.

Would you please recommend the other creche and fees if possible for a full time place for a toddler, you can pm, thanks

maneno wrote: »
    Would you please recommend the other creche and fees if possible for a full time place for a toddler, you can pm, thanks

pm sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

bauble1 wrote: »
    I have my lo in a g1raffe creche, we didn't get a good vibe initially when she started in baby room but she is there a few months now and in the wobbler room now. She seems settled and I am happy now too. DP is still unsure. It is a corp creche so can never be anything intimate for your child like one to one care but if you can accept that downside of the creche world then i would recommend g1raffe.

I send my child to Giraffe for the last year and would definitely recommend it. Have to laugh at the "I would be the only irish staff member" comment. I hope your child isn't born in the national maternity hospital, latest child just spend a week in a special unit and not one irish person to be seen there either!
    May vary from creche to creche, but the one in Parkwest I'm more than happy with.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

we were in a different Giraffe but could not recommend it highly enough.
    MY daughter loved it and we were delighted with it.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I send my child to Giraffe for the last year and would definitely recommend it. Have to laugh at the "I would be the only irish staff member" comment. I hope your child isn't born in the national maternity hospital, latest child just spend a week in a special unit and not one irish person to be seen there either!
    May vary from creche to creche, but the one in Parkwest I'm more than happy with.

You quoted me yet I mentioned nothing about the staff nationalities.

Advertisement