Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband

Options
  • 03-04-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Has anyone got SKy Broadband in D15 if so whats it like ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

stevekavo wrote: »
    Has anyone got SKy Broadband in D15 if so whats it like ?

It's no different really than BT broadband, who they bought over.

You can compare them with Eircom in terms of price and speed, but in comparison to UPC, there is no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Whats the congestion like on it in the evenings?

stevekavo wrote: »
    Whats the congestion like on it in the evenings?

That depends on where you are to be honest. You will get congestion I'm sure, as you're still using the same physical infrastructure as Eircom but to what extreme is a bit of lottery (based on exchanges etc).

You may get some people replying here with technicalities and they would be correct, however by and large what you purchase and what you actually get may differ a fair bit.

Be wary of the sop called deals being offered from Sky due to you knowing a family member who has them etc. It's a marketing gimmick. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

My information is that Sky are using BT's equipment in the exchanges and not eircom. I know in blanch that has been upgraded to a max of 24Mb and i think it is much the same in many of the other exchanges it covers.

Congestion is really not much of an issue with most systems these days. The problem is more likely to be the website you are trying to connect to or at one of the many points between you and it. Mainly a term to try and sell a new product that an genuine problem.

It is not going to be as fast as UPC but very few people use the full bandwidth from UPC anyway.

My information is that Sky are using BT's equipment in the exchanges and not eircom. I know in blanch that has been upgraded to a max of 24Mb and i think it is much the same in many of the other exchanges it covers.

Congestion is really not much of an issue with most systems these days. The problem is more likely to be the website you are trying to connect to or at one of the many points between you and it. Mainly a term to try and sell a new product that an genuine problem.

It is not going to be as fast as UPC but very few people use the full bandwidth from UPC anyway.

Speed = better capacity. When you have a number of people inna house using smart phones, ipads and laptops, you need that extra throughput. The speed of the connection is imperative.

As you and I mentioned, Sky simply aquired BT BB abd trying to use their customer base to flog it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Did Eircom and Sky not sign a partnership. Sky use their broadband and Eircom use their tv services when they launch Eircom Tv

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Did Eircom and Sky not sign a partnership. Sky use their broadband and Eircom use their tv services when they launch Eircom Tv

Not that i'm aware of.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/31368-skys-entry-into-irish-broa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Thats odd, was convinced that was the deal, thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

chucknorris - Can you confirm if you are a customer of sky using their services? If so how do you find them?

I rang them up last week and they made a big play of good the BB router was e.g. winning numerous awards in the UK also they promised better speeds than what I'm experiencing from eircom.

I'd also like to know the experiences of any customers in the D15 area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

They simply can not offer the same speeds and download cap down the phone line as UPC can offer down cable. They like any other company using the phone line as a delivery method are limited by that tech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 fitzyo

They have huge congestion issues at peak times. I am with them since Feb 13 and lately I am getting 0.26mb at peak times. They are basically saying that it's congestion and they cannot offer anything better at the moment as it's the package they offer. It's not the Eircom line as we are on a 15mb line and have always received consistent 8-10mb with previous providers. They have told me we can leave if we want with no penalties for breaking contract. I am in Cork.

Advertisement