Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iain Banks Announces He Has Terminal Cancer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I'm not ashamed to say i shed a tear when i heard this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

K, that sucks. Ian Banks is one of my favorite authors. He will be missed:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Very sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Very sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

F***-me, that's genuinely ****e news. The best sci-fi writer of his generation by light years, the Culture series is immense (and no, thats not post-imminent-death-announcement hyperbole, they are works of genuine genius). He's also responsible for one of my all time favourite books The Wasp Factory....what can you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tontolicious

Loved his books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Pity we don't have Culture technology to save him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Really sad news and will be a tremendous loss. The Wasp factory is one of my favourite books of all time and its amazing to think it was his first novel..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I read this the other day and felt numb. Such a talent. I loved the Wasp Factory, an amazing book. I also read a non fiction book of hiscalledRaw Spirit, in search of the perfect dram. It was a tour of the various Scottish Scotch distilleries. It was a good humoured book that gave insight into his character. He will be missed greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

toomevara wrote: »
    The best sci-fi writer of his generation by light years, the Culture series is immense (and no, thats not post-imminent-death-announcement hyperbole, they are works of genuine genius).

Agree with this 100%. His sci-fi novels are better than the others, but he is a talented writer in everything he does. And it is true that the Culture novels are works of genius. It will be a great loss.

Life is short, don't waste it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The news has been devastating, his books have been constant companions since the late 80's.
    Other icons of the time, Stephen Baxter, Ken Mcleod, have fallen by the wayside, not living up to their early promise, but with Iain, the well never dried out.
    A sad time indeed and my thoughts go to him, his family and the teenage boy I was way back then, thinking Culture books would never end.

Advertisement