Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Science, easy modules?

• 03-04-2013 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone!

I am an Italian student who will study in UCC next year (they conceded me an Erasmus scolarship):pac: . I still have to pick 35 credits of almost any of the CS modules in UCC to finish my learning agreement and I really need to have a not stressful year, so I would like to ask you advice in choosing not very difficult modules!!

Thank you! :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Congratulations on the Erasmus estopa! Do you have any idea of the level the modules must be? I assume that they must be the same level as back home? Fourth year modules?

The modules change a bit for 4th years every year but you can basically choose from any of the ones listed here http://www.ucc.ie/modules/descriptions/CS.html under CS4XXX. You can only take one of the project modules over all though. I've asked some friends who're finishing 4th year computer science this year and basically they're saying to stay away from Artifical Intelligence 1 and 2, everything else is fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 estopa91

Thanks magicianz!!I'll stay away from Artificial Intelligence. I will be studying my 5th and last year in a college degree + master degree and I think the modules could be of any level, including the modules of the master in CS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Hello,

I've done the following modules so will give you a brief overview:
    CS4402 Parallel and Grid Computing - If you've ever programmed in C you won't find this too bad, If you've ever used MPI then you'll be fine! The lectures follow a roughly 50:50 practical/theory structure with code methods we'll be using in the next lab. The theory explains things like scheduling speed up and over P&G terms.

CS4403 Introduction to Embedded Systems - This goes over the architecture of embedded systems, how they work etc. The labs consist of programming an Arduino Due in C, though this might change next year. There were plans to use an FPGA board this year but it didn't happen. It may change next year.

CS4405 Multimedia Compression and Delivery - This covers 4 main areas Images, Audio, Video and Delivery, It has a focus on methods of compressing images using things like DCT(Discrete cosine transform) and the reasons behind why we don't need to display some colours. The video focuses on the different types of Frames (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression_picture_types). Audio is the compression and bitrate etc while delivery is the different technologies and methods used to delivery data over the network.

CS4504 Advanced Software Engineering - A ten credit module following Software Engineering, It covers a lot of Software engineering. Too many to mention here.

I've done more but this is all I can cover for now, As for which is toughest, I won't comment, You may find one area much easier than me! :)

Advertisement