Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to extend WiFi Network

Options
  • 03-04-2013 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have a TP Link router in front room, but want to extend the signal to certain black spots in the house/garden

What would be the cheapest way of doing this? Larger Antenna, wireless repeater plug etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Something like the below. Locate it near the garden and set the ssid and password as the same as the existing network.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004KPLKO6/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1365148711&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Thanks for that - would there be cheaper options available too?
    Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Something like the below. Locate it near the garden and set the ssid and password as the same as the existing network.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004KPLKO6/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1365148711&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The cheap ones use the old wifi standard and have lousy signal. Not worth saving 20-30 quid over.

You are also better off setting up a second wifi network at the other end of your house, connect the two wifi routers together via power-plug network adapters. Extenders are rubbish as they just repeat the signals, halving the bandwidth of the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

srsly78 wrote: »
    The cheap ones use the old wifi standard and have lousy signal. Not worth saving 20-30 quid over.

You are also better off setting up a second wifi network at the other end of your house, connect the two wifi routers together via power-plug network adapters. Extenders are rubbish as they just repeat the signals, halving the bandwidth of the network.

Probably should have read this before posting my own.

Does this mean you need to change connect if lets say you move your laptop from the sitting room to the garden. I suppose the laptop would automatically connect to the better signal if the network is saved on the laptop. Is this the case?

For me I have the EPC UPC modem in bridge with the tplink 3600. I then have a wire coming out of that into a powerline adaptor that sends the signal to the kitchen for the wired desktop.

So should I pick up another router and connect that to the power line adaptor to create a new network for the back of the house?

Advertisement