Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of windows on my old hdd

Options
  • 03-04-2013 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I recently bought and set up a new SSD with windows 7. Ive been trying to get rid of windows on my old hard drive while keeping all me personal files.

I looked up my problem and found a way to delete an operating system using msconfig but my old hdd's OS wont show up.

The only time it does show up in msconfig is when I boot off it, but then I cant delete it because its the running OS and it wont let me.
    When I boot off my SSD, only the SSD's OS shows up.
    When I boot off my HDD, only the HDD's OS shows up.

DxDiag.txt
    this is the dxdiag I get from my ssd.

Please help, I have no idea what to do :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

I recently bought and set up a new SSD with windows 7. Ive been trying to get rid of windows on my old hard drive while keeping all me personal files.

I looked up my problem and found a way to delete an operating system using msconfig but my old hdd's OS wont show up.

The only time it does show up in msconfig is when I boot off it, but then I cant delete it because its the running OS and it wont let me.
    When I boot off my SSD, only the SSD's OS shows up.
    When I boot off my HDD, only the HDD's OS shows up.

DxDiag.txt
    this is the dxdiag I get from my ssd.

Please help, I have no idea what to do :D

set the ssd drive as your boot drive, then your dvd drive as your next boot drive. remove your hdd from the boot drives list, save and boot windows, and open the old drive up in win explorer and delete the windows folder.

or remove/disconnect the hdd drive. wipe the ssd drive and reinstall windows.

once done boot up windows, activate it then shut it down.

reconnect the hdd drive then boot to the bios and set the ssd drive as 1. in the boot order list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Dont delete HDD, c;documents and settings, your username ,eg tom,My documents,/
    my music /
    ,my pictures, etc on hdd ,ie just delete hdd, windows folder first.
    OR just copy those folders to ssd .
    Then delete any folders on old drive,
    when i say c . i mean old ide, sata drive,hdd drive,
    HDD drive may show up as drive,e,f, g when you boot off SSD drive,

And ssd drive maybe listed as c; drive in my computer, if its set as boot device 1,ssd

eg set ssd =boot first device, remove hdd from boot order, after ssd,,dvd,lan ,etc
    or SET it as last boot device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

This should point you into the right direction. If you don't want to use the nuclear option, have some fun with BCEDIT.

Advertisement