Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bank reveal my personal detail to third party

• 03-04-2013 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭xiuzhen

Hello everyone,
    I am a student, my parent lodged some money into my account every month with my account number and sort code. As always, somehow this week, when my parent went to back as always. Bank staff wrote my balance into receipt to my parent. I feel that is offensive and show no respect to others privacy.

I rang the bank and complaint about it.
    Can I sue the bank? or anything I could do about it?
    Any professional help or suggestions for me, please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Sue them for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭xiuzhen

SB2013 wrote: »
    Sue them for what?
    reveal personal details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

xiuzhen wrote: »
    reveal personal details

To your mother who lodges money to your account? Exactly what negative impact have you suffered?

Report them to the data protection commissioner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Banks have a strict duty of confidentiality regarding customer account information to which there are four limited exceptions. There could be an issue implied permission here.

The legal route is complete useless here. You have suffered no damage and any litigation could be regarded as frivolous an vexations.

On the other hand, if you have just won the euro millions and want to amuse your self then by all means consult a solicitor. However, never rely on random internet advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The bank is (very probably) in breach of its duty of confidentiality to you. But you'll get no damages, because you have suffered no loss.

You have at your disposal a much more effective (and easier and cheaper) sanction; take your banking business elsewhere, and write to your former manager and tell him why you did so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Are you sure it was your balance and not the amount lodged by your parents? If your balance was zero the two could be the same.

Must be great to be a student if this is all you have to be worried about!

godtabh wrote: »
    Are you sure it was your balance and not the amount lodged by your parents? If your balance was zero the two could be the same.

Must be great to be a student if this is all you have to be worried about!

Data protection is and should be a concern for anyone.

If they did do this OP, as mentioned above, report the bank to the data prot commissioner and take your business elsewhere - and make sure they know why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

what is it with the current generation .... trying to sue for anything.

OP - while the bank may have been negligent, why do you want to sue ? do you simply want money that doesn't come from your parents ?

you do realise there are other people affected if you do try and sue.....if someone made a mistake, contact the bank, complain and keep an eye on them in the future ...as others have said ...take your business elsewhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

bluewolf wrote: »
    Data protection is and should be a concern for anyone.

If they did do this OP, as mentioned above, report the bank to the data prot commissioner and take your business elsewhere - and make sure they know why

Depends on the answer to my questions. was the amount on the receipt the same as the balance of the account? In that case it was just one of those things.

As regards data protection I agree it is important but I dont agree with the over reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭EireGreg

call Lionel Hutz hes the only lawyer i know that could handle a situation as serious as this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

i lodged money for someone and got a receipt which i presume has the balance on it. I didn't look but i have money there too and they give a receipt with the balance. For Data protection what should they do receipt in sealed envelope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

See Donnelly on The Law of Banks and Credit Institutions (1999), p. 147 onwards. There may be a more up to date version of that book now.

Bankers have a duty of confidentiality to their customers. Breach of this duty is actionable, of itself.

Successful actions for breach of bankers' confidentiality would be hoped to achieve awards of damages and costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

what if a bank discussed a siblings account in arrears?

what if a bank discussed a siblings account in arrears?

Sounds like breach of duty of bankers' confidentiality.

A bank which reveals details of a customer's account without consent of said customer or without other lawful authority (order of discovery, disclosure under Revenue statutes, etc.) is breaching its duty of confidentiality and is liable to be sued for damages.

Sounds like breach of duty of bankers' confidentiality.

A bank which reveals details of a customer's account without consent of said customer or without other lawful authority (order of discovery, disclosure under Revenue statutes, etc.) is breaching its duty of confidentiality and is liable to be sued for damages.
    what about me getting the receipt with the balance on it. Should they have sealed it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

LoveCoke wrote: »
    what about me getting the receipt with the balance on it. Should they have sealed it?
    i lodged money for someone and got a receipt which i presume has the balance on it.
    Does it have the balance on it?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

i lodged money for someone and got a receipt which i presume has the balance on it. I didn't look but i have money there too and they give a receipt with the balance. For Data protection what should they do receipt in sealed envelope?

Did the bank give away confidential information without consent?

EDIT: beaten to the punch by 28064212!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Why would they need to issue a receipt with the balance on it at all?

A receipt to show amount lodged,that I can understand, but what possible reason is there for giving the balance to a 3rd party? (Excl. official reasons like revenue inspectors etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭maidie

If you didn't want your parents to know your balance of course you have reason to be annoyed but legally don't think you can expect much. I remember once leaving my credit card behind in my local branch after making a payment, I didn't notice until my partner handed it back to me the next day, the teller asked him to give it to me. I was soooooo annoyed because he didn't know until then that I had a credit card and I didn't want him to know either.

Why would they need to issue a receipt with the balance on it at all?

A receipt to show amount lodged,that I can understand, but what possible reason is there for giving the balance to a 3rd party? (Excl. official reasons like revenue inspectors etc.)

I'd say that you're right. I don't think that they do. They stamp the stub of the lodgement slip on which the amount of the lodgment is written, and they give that back to the person making the lodgement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

xiuzhen wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I am a student, my parent lodged some money into my account every month with my account number and sort code. As always, somehow this week, when my parent went to back as always. Bank staff wrote my balance into receipt to my parent. I feel that is offensive and show no respect to others privacy.

I rang the bank and complaint about it.
    Can I sue the bank? or anything I could do about it?
    Any professional help or suggestions for me, please?

Perhaps (since the lodgements are regular) the Bank official assumed the account was theirs and made a simple mistake.

The Bank might also claim that the person lodging the money asked for the balance, and insist that they are co-defendants in any law-suit, which might hurt any future "lodgements" from them.

28064212 wrote: »

Does it have the balance on it?
    yes it has the opening balance, the transaction and the closing balance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

How was the deposit made? Lodgement form or via atm card?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    How was the deposit made? Lodgement form or via atm card?
    i lodged it at the desk. it was a check actually . The lady took it and gave me the recept with balance shown. I had permission to lodge it and was
    asked to do so by someone who could not attend

I have not previously heard of a system where one makes a lodgement and is not only given a receipt for the lodgement but is also given an unsolicited balance of the account. News to me.

In any event, I suppose that there are two factors which may be important to consider:

1. Liability. Did the bank give details which went beyond the customer's consent (and beyond lawful authority)? Did the account holder consent to these details being given?

2. Potential quantum of damages. There is no mention of any upset or inconvenience to the account holder. One would have to consider how much a judge or a small claims registrar would be prepared to award for what might possibly be viewed as a technical breach of confidentiality, to a person who already had a certain amount of the ostensible authority of the account holder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

SB2013 wrote: »
    To your mother who lodges money to your account? Exactly what negative impact have you suffered?

Why is it relevant that it was the OPs mother or someone who lodges money to the account?

My employers makes regular lodgements to my account, but I'd be pretty pissed off if they gave them my account balance. This is a serious breach of confidentiality, one for the DP commissioner.

Phoebas wrote: »
    My employers makes regular lodgements to my account, but I'd be pretty pissed off if they gave them my account balance. This is a serious breach of confidentiality, one for the DP commissioner.

I don't think that the data protection commissioner can make an award of damages in favour of a complainant.

Small claims registrar, perhaps?

I have not previously heard of a system where one makes a lodgement and is not only given a receipt for the lodgement but is also given an unsolicited balance of the account. News to me.
    Here is an old one from the same place

Interesting. Haven't seen that before.

It occurs to me that the account holder may have been very much aware of this financial institution's practice when he asked you to make the lodgement on his behalf. If so, then perhaps he gave you his implied consent to receive the information on his behalf.

• Advertisement

Interesting. Haven't seen that before.

It occurs to me that the account holder may have been very much aware of this financial institution's practice when he asked you to make the lodgement on his behalf. If so, then perhaps he gave you his implied consent to receive the information on his behalf.
    Idon't know how aware he was but he would trust me to know. Anyway i got the receipt and did not even look at it so i do not know the amount. I also did not look at the amount on the check i paid in. The one i uploaded is an old one of mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

is that a lodgement slip or a book

Tigger wrote: »
    is that a lodgement slip or a book
    it s the computer generated receipt from lodging cash at the desk

Advertisement