Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lugnaquilla - leave no trace

Options
  • 03-04-2013 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

To the group of walkers who left banana skins, used teabags etc at Lug summit last Saturday morning @11am please check out the "leave no trace" guidelines. I know you were enjoying yourselves and had got up there without crampons etc in very tricky conditions but we had to clean up after you! Think next time!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

fair play for cleaning up after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

There seems to be a bizarre attitude that just because something is biodegradable it means it can be thrown on the ground, banana skins and apple cores are a favourite for people who don't think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you were able to carry it up then you should be able to carry the leftovers down. Things like this make me see red. Inconsiderate idiots ruining beautiful areas for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Orion wrote: »
    If you were able to carry it up then you should be able to carry the leftovers down. Things like this make me see red. Inconsiderate idiots ruining beautiful areas for everyone else.

ah guys come on....don't be so aggressive... I can understand(not condone) why people think its OK to dump bio degradeable stuff...its a lack of understanding I think.....not a lack of consideration.....abusing people isn't going to help....after all I'm sure most/all of the people who post here dumped a banana skin at some stage in their lives.........? I confess I did until I started walking in the mountains and was introduced to "leave no trace" , now its second nature and I come back from most walks with more rubbish than I started with...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Excuse my ignorance but is the reasoning behind not leaving biodegradable items behind to do with rotting food? I have only just started hiking but if I say this to someone then they might question why "leaving small bits of food behind for the animals" is such a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

It takes a long time for these items to rot, especially on a cold mountain top and so they remain as litter for months

• Registered Users Posts: 5 amcguinn

I started this thread to educate people, my tone was not aggressive and I don't condone aggression when pointing out a "better way to do things".

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daithi2004

UDP wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but is the reasoning behind not leaving biodegradable items behind to do with rotting food? I have only just started hiking but if I say this to someone then they might question why "leaving small bits of food behind for the animals" is such a bad idea.

The reason we don't leave anything up on mountains is that they don't belong there. Banana, orange skin don't belong to Irish mountains and the animals on the mountains don't normally eat these fruit. Leaving things like these changes the ecology of the environment. Just a thought.

UDP wrote: »

In my experience, the less someone is interested in ecology and the environment, the more likely they are to be thoughtless about it, or put another way day trippers leave more behind than experienced walkers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement