Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quickest Route from Galway to Naas and avoiding M4 toll?

• 03-04-2013 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hello,

I regularly travel from Galway to Naas but would like to know what is the quickest route from Galway to Naas and avoiding M4 toll? I am happy to take the M6 as far as possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

muchos04 wrote: »
    Hello,

I regularly travel from Galway to Naas but would like to know what is the quickest route from Galway to Naas and avoiding M4 toll? I am happy to take the M6 as far as possible.

Thanks

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Galway,+Ireland&daddr=naas&hl=en&ll=53.337433,-7.857971&spn=1.254586,3.556824&sll=53.334734,-7.862444&sspn=1.254683,3.556824&geocode=FR_YLAMdZM51_yn_Wy1alZNbSDGBUkkKRBsrAw%3BFdUULAMdFGOa_ymfG6lwlnhnSDGwcjGXqccACg&dirflg=t&mra=ls&t=m&z=9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

and pay extra in fuel and time in the process. I can never understand these people

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭muchos04

and pay extra in fuel and time in the process. I can never understand these people

Saving 6euro on the route seems good to me mr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,926 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Saving 6euro on the route seems good to me mr.

If your time is worth absolutely nothing, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

i know every penny counts/it all adds up and all but id happily pay the 30 euro out of me wages a week to have extra lie in/ get home quicker every day. id try and cut back cash some other way instead myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Driving at 100KM/H on the motorway and paying to toll would offset the cost in many cases. I got from Galway to UCD return on €20 diesel in a 2008 VW golf 1.9L, was happy to pay the toll as the fuel cost would have been higher on the old road with all the slowing down and speeding up along the route and the longer distance also.

How about going down the M7 and through nenagh and up to Galway that way? I did it to oranmore from grangecon in 2hr 7min last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Hello,

Thanks

Helicopter is probably the quickest way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Galway-loughrea-portumna-birr-kinitty-monasterevin-kildare-naas

that was always my chosen pre toll route....it's great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Galway-loughrea-portumna-birr-kinitty-monasterevin-kildare-naas

If you're going to kinitty, why not go to Mounrath and the M7, toll free from there.

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    If you're going to kinitty, why not go to Mounrath and the M7, toll free from there.
    why not indeed!! probably because back then mountrath was a traffic trap!! No traffic at all on that route if i remember correctly...this was a time were you would be stuck at Enfield, moat and ballinasloe!

Thanks guys - would that still hold if i was going to Grangecon from Galway i.e. going the Mountrath route??

Thanks guys - would that still hold if i was going to Grangecon from Galway i.e. going the Mountrath route??
    I'm from blessington, so i would exit at the curragh and then onto Kilcullan - which would be right on track for you, would it not?

The other option is to go on the m4 and just exit before the toll and carry on your journey on the old n4???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How about going down the M7 and through nenagh and up to Galway that way? I did it to oranmore from grangecon in 2hr 7min last week.
    You'd get hit by another toll near Portlaoise.

Hi Ash,

Probably M4 and then on to N4. That might be the best option. TBH getting off at Kilcullen might be an option might work to. I just need to figure out when heading to Galway at what point to get off M7.

Dave

I just need to figure out when heading to Galway at what point to get off M7.

Dave

Assuming you also ant to avoid the Ballinasloe toll you've two choices:
    Get off at mountrath and go Kinnity - Birr - Portumna -Loughrea
    Get off at Roscrea and go Birr - Portumna -Loughrea*

If you don't mind paying the toll, Birr - Ballinsloe is also an option.

* That's how I went the last time I was heading from the N/M7 to Galway.

Assuming you also ant to avoid the Ballinasloe toll you've two choices:
    Get off at mountrath and go Kinnity - Birr - Portumna -Loughrea
    Get off at Roscrea and go Birr - Portumna -Loughrea*

If you don't mind paying the toll, Birr - Ballinsloe is also an option.

* That's how I went the last time I was heading from the N/M7 to Galway.

That's great Antoo. Good advice. Hired a car and got a bill of 9.10 Euro from car rental company just for using M50 toll. Between that and the M7 toll, the M6 toll and M4 toll on the way back, I spent a lot on tolls!

That's great Antoo. Good advice. Hired a car and got a bill of 9.10 Euro from car rental company just for using M50 toll. Between that and the M7 toll, the M6 toll and M4 toll on the way back, I spent a lot on tolls!

The M50 toll is a bit of a strange one in that it is easy to forget to pay, so you can get hit for fines (which it looks like happened to you). I think the rental companies should have tags for cars hired from Dublin and charge when returning them.

FWIW I used to pay 13 on a round trip from Galway to Dublin when I lived there and I thought it was value for money and I will be using the various tolls when I go to Dublin this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Infrastructure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

You will pay less in fuel if you drive at lower speeds.

I regularly drive the N4. By not using the M4 toll I worked out that I save approx 5 euro each way at a cost of an extra 6-8 minutes each way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 eshivnan

Hello there muchos04, you still travelling from Galway to Naas? Would you consider giving someone a lift? I'd be happy to pay the toll! I'm heading up to my sister tomorrow but it seems very convoluted and takes a long time by public transport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

n97 mini wrote: »

I regularly drive the N4. By not using the M4 toll I worked out that I save approx 5 euro each way at a cost of an extra 6-8 minutes each way.

A typical road car is tuned for maximum efficiency being driven in its top gear at 80km/h.

If you value your time at €0.00, driving a non-tolled route would almost always be cheaper. Usually its significantly so. For example according to google, the travel distance between Galway and Dublin is 208km on the tolled road, and 214km on the non-tolled road with the non tolled road taking approx 30mins more. A new typical family car should get around 22km/l and a diesel fuel is around 155c/l. Given that tolls cost €6 for this route, the journey would need to be 85km longer on the non tolled road to make it more expensive.

But of course, time does have a value, but some people would rather spend time than cash - and for these people this route makes sense.

A typical road car is tuned for maximum efficiency being driven in its top gear at 80km/h.

If you value your time at €0.00, driving a non-tolled route would almost always be cheaper. Usually its significantly so. For example according to google, the travel distance between Galway and Dublin is 208km on the tolled road, and 214km on the non-tolled road with the non tolled road taking approx 30mins more. A new typical family car should get around 22km/l and a diesel fuel is around 155c/l. Given that tolls cost €6 for this route, the journey would need to be 85km longer on the non tolled road to make it more expensive.

But of course, time does have a value, but some people would rather spend time than cash - and for these people this route makes sense.

I find your assertion to be rubbsih. I drive a 1.4l petrol car and it is not tuned for 80km/h. I used to drive Galway-Dublin before the motorway opened, I rarely had a higher average speed on the non-motorway roads of 80km/h yet the fuel consumption was far worse than the average 115km/h I achieved on motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

n97 mini wrote: »

I can't stand this attitude myself. Sorry but I do a lot of driving and it drives me mad.

If you're driving on a motorway, especially a fairly busy one - or ANY road really - drive at a speed appropriate to the conditions.. so if it's a clear dry day and traffic is fairly light, do 120 NOT 100, 80 or whatever! Similarly though if it's dark, wet and foggy, don't think you can tear around with the foot to the floor either.

There's nothing worse than these dawdlers on the motorways - generally who also sit in the outside lane or who'll insist on holding up a line of traffic as they crawl past a truck as they try to save a fiver.

If the costs are that borderline then maybe you should take the bus instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I find your assertion to be rubbsih. I drive a 1.4l petrol car and it is not tuned for 80km/h. I used to drive Galway-Dublin before the motorway opened, I rarely had a higher average speed on the non-motorway roads of 80km/h yet the fuel consumption was far worse than the average 115km/h I achieved on motorway.

I notice with my diesel car I can get 4.2L/100km driving at 80km/h and about 5.1L/100km when driving at 100km/h. Most cars should be far more efficient if driven at a constant 80km/h compared to 100km/h. You also need to remember there's far less people on the old road now so there's less slowing down and speeding up. It's actually quite peaceful.

eshivnan wrote: »
    Hello there muchos04, you still travelling from Galway to Naas? Would you consider giving someone a lift? I'd be happy to pay the toll! I'm heading up to my sister tomorrow but it seems very convoluted and takes a long time by public transport!

Sorry Eshivnan, Im only going up the occasional time at the minute.

Thanks
    muchos04

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I can't stand this attitude myself. Sorry but I do a lot of driving and it drives me mad.

If you're driving on a motorway, especially a fairly busy one - or ANY road really - drive at a speed appropriate to the conditions.. so if it's a clear dry day and traffic is fairly light, do 120 NOT 100, 80 or whatever! Similarly though if it's dark, wet and foggy, don't think you can tear around with the foot to the floor either.

There's nothing worse than these dawdlers on the motorways - generally who also sit in the outside lane or who'll insist on holding up a line of traffic as they crawl past a truck as they try to save a fiver.

If the costs are that borderline then maybe you should take the bus instead.
    I think you should read my post more carefully. I'm not advocating driving slowly in the outside lane on motorways.

I am only talking about the difference between costs and time of driving the N4 between Kilcock and Kinnegad and the M4 tolled section between Kilcock and Kinnegad, a distance of 20 miles.

The M4 takes approximately 17 minutes. Toll cost €2.90.
    The N4 takes approximately 24 minutes. No toll.

In my own case my car does 65 mpg at 80km/h and 40 mpg at 120km/h.
    20 miles will use 1.39 litres or 2.27 litres respectively. The difference is almost a litre, or about €1.40.

So the tolled M4 costs me €4.30 extra each way and saves about 7 minutes.

I used do Dublin to Carrick-on-Shannon return 4 days a week. 7 minutes on a journey like that is unnoticeable, but saving €35 a week was a bonus.

Plus the scenery is a whole lot nicer on the old road.

Advertisement