Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VINYL SCORE: YOUR MOST VALUABLE ITEM?

Options
  • 03-04-2013 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

So, owners of a vinyl collection, what do you reckon would attract the most interest from serious collectors?
    Most of what I have is from the 70's, so probably nothing of great value there, although nearly all the LP'S and singles are in excellent condition.
    I have the usual run-of -the-mill LP's like Cat Stevens, Bob Marley, Stevie Wonder etc., but also some unusual ones like Gordon Lightfoot's brilliant album, "Don Quixote", an LP of classical music using electronic sound effects, by Isao Tomita and so on...
    Singles-wise, probably one collector's piece might be "Riders on the Storm" by The Doors...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

You need to provide much more information on the versions you have, they could be worth a lot or nothing depending on:

1. Rarity
    2. How early the edition is (ie first run as opposed to 10th etc)
    3. Condition (of course)

A lot of people think that for instance any Sgt Peppers on vinyl is worth a fortune but there were millions made, it depends if one has the rare copy, the most important thing in considering value and assessing rarity is the issue number found on the back on the back and the matrix number (the unique number etched into the runout groove) I usually look this up on Discogs, for instance here is the Discogs listing for the "Riders..." 7", loads of versions starting from £2.50 for a 1991 reissue up to £75 for a 1971 version, (Elektra ‎– JET-2070 is the 71 versions issue number):

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=107436&format=Vinyl&more=year

You need to look up the exact versions you have making sure to assess their quality to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Limited edition boxed vinyl set of Pink Floyd's Pulse including artwork. Think the last time I checked prices on EBay it was going for around 500 upwards. Makes it even sweeter that I bought it in a box of vinyls for 30 euro at a car boot sale :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

DarkJager wrote: »
    Limited edition boxed vinyl set of Pink Floyd's Pulse including artwork. Think the last time I checked prices on EBay it was going for around 500 upwards. Makes it even sweeter that I bought it in a box of vinyls for 30 euro at a car boot sale :D

Its 500 on Discogs to, I hate you! Why would anyone sell it so cheaply, all people have to do is spend a few minutes on the net to get an approximate value before selling stuff nowadays, I never come across idiots like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

You need to provide much more information on the versions you have, they could be worth a lot or nothing depending on:

1. Rarity
    2. How early the edition is (ie first run as opposed to 10th etc)
    3. Condition (of course)

A lot of people think that for instance any Sgt Peppers on vinyl is worth a fortune but there were millions made, it depends if one has the rare copy, the most important thing in considering value and assessing rarity is the issue number found on the back on the back and the matrix number (the unique number etched into the runout groove) I usually look this up on Discogs, for instance here is the Discogs listing for the "Riders..." 7", loads of versions starting from £2.50 for a 1991 reissue up to £75 for a 1971 version, (Elektra ‎– JET-2070 is the 71 versions issue number):

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=107436&format=Vinyl&more=year

You need to look up the exact versions you have making sure to assess their quality to.

Thanks, Technocentral, for your swift and informative reply...looks like a visit to the attic is in order!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Doubt any of my own collection is that valuable though I do have a few that are pretty cool & will probably go up in value as time goes on. An original copy of Milestones by Miles Davis from the 50s (sadly a UK not a US pressing). The original Harvest issue of DSOTM (only have the vinyl though no extras), an original UK copy of Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffitti in pretty good nick & a few others. I also have the 45 of "Men Behind The Wire" by Barleycorn which might be worth something as an historical curiosity, have never been that bothered to check though. I love having original vinyl when I can afford it but don't really think of it as a monetary investment as I can't imagine selling my collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

The most valuable LP I have, in the sentimental sense, is that Gordon Lightfoot album, whilst an LP I would still to have is "Happy To Meet, Sorry To part", by Horslips. It had a really elaborate, multi-page cover. I have always suspected a house mate from many years ago as being the light-fingered culprit who removed it from my possession...so I was indeed sorry to part with it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I love hearing these stories but all the vinyl i have I play fairly often, it's mostly new and there are a few older records in there too but they get spun just the same!

Really hope there's nothing of value in them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

David Bowie - Hunky Dory 1971 original first pressing, in excellent condition with laminate front cover. Worth about €800

Metallica - Fade To Black green sticker promo copy. About €800

Led Zeppelin IV White Label Test Pressing P-8166. About €400

Led Zeppelin - Rehearsals Double LP About €300

Queen- Disco Hits. 6 track Japanese promo worth about €200

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭I_p_freely

Beatles - White album. Mono #72823. Vinyl, all pictures, posters in very good condition, should be worth about €100 (?)
    John Lennon - Imagine. First pressing, vinyl, postcard and poster all in immaculate condition. Should be worth a little sum.
    George Harrison - All Things Must Pass. First pressing, has the cardboard divider, poster, vinyl and box all in great condition. Should be worth ~€100.

Have a number of Beatles first pressings. Best bargain was "Help" LP which I got for €10 including delivery from ebay and is in immaculate condition. Looks like it has barely been played.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

U23 - U2's first release ,
    Autographed vinyl of The Joshua Tree

not sure of the value but to me they are priceless !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only one that gets above the routine. Tommy Bolin - the Ultimate. A triple LP Box Set with 23 page book which is currently at about 50 euro, though I've seen both cheaper and dearer examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

A few jazz bits from John Sangster - Ahead Of Hair, The Trip, Joker's Wild. Worth around €200 each.

Mushroom's Early One Morning. €300 or so.

Two volumes of the Rotary jazz series (Italian library LPs from 1974) - about €150 each.

US and UK copies of the Bedazzled soundtrack. €100 / €120 each.

James Last's Sekai Wa Futari No Tameni - Japanese-only LP from 1968. €275 is the average rate for this.

What's really rare are major label LPs released between 1993 and 1999. I never stopped buying new albums on vinyl - even in the wilderness years - so I lots of 'em are priced in the €60 + range.

examples
    Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish / Parklife
    Pulp - Different Class
    Depeche Mode - Songs Of Faith and Devotion Live
    Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
    Kate Bush - The Red Shoes
    U2 - Zooropa
    Cocteau Twins - Milk and Kisses

• Registered Users Posts: 1 desperatle

I am a widow with 3 children living in Dublin..some years ago my beloved husband was diagnosed out of the blue with terminal cancer and died just months later...He was a serious collector of vinyl, at least 2000 albums all purchased in the US, and loved the fact that he could enjoy his music yet was building up a legacy for his children...the youngest was 11 when he died...I have been rearing them on my own since, working full time and for the past number of years have been trying to recover the records from storage. I had to engage a solicitor to try to recover the albums and it was only when he issued court proceedings that he found out that most of the albums had been sold...I am devastated and cannot bring myself to tell my children...they have waited so long to hold their Dad's albums and get to know him better through his music. they ask all the time when are you getting Dad's music for us.....For the past number of days I went around Dublin's 2nd hand record stores looking for the albums and located about one fifth of them...to my astonishment and joy it turned out that before putting them into storage my husband wrote his initials rcd on the top right hand corner of each album...I can tell you I wept when I saw that..and have been crying since....He could not have known that one day that would enable me to get them back for the children...I am begging any of you who read this to pass it on in whatever way you can to any people who may have bought vinyl in the last 2 to 3 years in shops in Dublin or on ebay or amazon or in auctions to check the top right hand corner of the album for those initials..it is very hard to see on black album covers...I know that some of the albums were valuable and may have attained a high price but from the bottom of my heart I ask you to consider returning them to their home...I will not be in a position to buy them all back but I will do whatever I can to come to some arrangement with you...my email address is annebd2009@gmail.com and my solicitor is Dara Robinson of Garrett Sheehan and partners ph. no. 01 4533521. You cannot imagine how heartbroken I am at what has happened to those albums and how much it would mean to me and my kids to have our beloved Dad's gift to his kids returned to them...thanks for taking the time to read this and please pass it on if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

desperatle wrote: »
    I am a widow with 3 children living in Dublin..some years ago my beloved husband was diagnosed out of the blue with terminal cancer and died just months later...He was a serious collector of vinyl, at least 2000 albums all purchased in the US, and loved the fact that he could enjoy his music yet was building up a legacy for his children...the youngest was 11 when he died...I have been rearing them on my own since, working full time and for the past number of years have been trying to recover the records from storage. I had to engage a solicitor to try to recover the albums and it was only when he issued court proceedings that he found out that most of the albums had been sold...I am devastated and cannot bring myself to tell my children...they have waited so long to hold their Dad's albums and get to know him better through his music. they ask all the time when are you getting Dad's music for us.....For the past number of days I went around Dublin's 2nd hand record stores looking for the albums and located about one fifth of them...to my astonishment and joy it turned out that before putting them into storage my husband wrote his initials rcd on the top right hand corner of each album...I can tell you I wept when I saw that..and have been crying since....He could not have known that one day that would enable me to get them back for the children...I am begging any of you who read this to pass it on in whatever way you can to any people who may have bought vinyl in the last 2 to 3 years in shops in Dublin or on ebay or amazon or in auctions to check the top right hand corner of the album for those initials..it is very hard to see on black album covers...I know that some of the albums were valuable and may have attained a high price but from the bottom of my heart I ask you to consider returning them to their home...I will not be in a position to buy them all back but I will do whatever I can to come to some arrangement with you...my email address is annebd2009@gmail.com and my solicitor is Dara Robinson of Garrett Sheehan and partners ph. no. 01 4533521. You cannot imagine how heartbroken I am at what has happened to those albums and how much it would mean to me and my kids to have our beloved Dad's gift to his kids returned to them...thanks for taking the time to read this and please pass it on if you can.

Very sorry to hear that. You can't put a price on sentiment. I hope you got on to all the second hand vinyl stores, the ones I know of are R.A.G.E, Spin Dizzy, Freebird and the stall in Temple Bar. Can't think of any others off hand. I'll keep an eye out. All the best with your search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

my little record collection

THE BEATLES please please me album (1963) original pressing
    BOOMTOWN RATS lookin after number 1 (signed by all band members)
    PINK FLOYED The wall
    Haircut 100 pelican west (some band from the 80s)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Most of my valuables are Queen, and the most valuable is probably my A Night At The Opera French white vinyl. Beautiful record, probably worth around €70. Have a few around that

my little record collection

THE BEATLES please please me album (1963) original pressing

Are sure it's the original? There are many variants.
    This might help determine the exact pressing.
    http://thebeatles-collection.com/wordpress/2011/07/16/please-please-me-parlophone-pmc-1202-3/
    BOOMTOWN RATS lookin after number 1 (signed by all band members)

€2.
    PINK FLOYED The wall

€12 - €20 depending on condition.
    Haircut 100 pelican west (some band from the 80s)

€3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Are you sure about the value for The Wall? It seems a little low (assuming we're talking an original pressing with all the inners). Keep meaning to pick up a copy myself so would love to know where I can get one that cheap.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Are you sure about the value for The Wall? It seems a little low (assuming we're talking an original pressing with all the inners). Keep meaning to pick up a copy myself so would love to know where I can get one that cheap.

I am basing it on my RRPG 2010.
    Plus recent auctions recorded on popsike.com

Sorry - I am thinking pounds rather than euro so maybe 15 - 25.

It's possibly on the low side but not too much. Open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Are sure it's the original? There are many variants.
    This might help determine the exact pressing.
    http://thebeatles-collection.com/wordpress/2011/07/16/please-please-me-parlophone-pmc-1202-3/

€2.

€12 - €20 depending on condition.

€3.

didnt realise there were so many variants of please please me . mine looks to be an 8th pressing 1969-1970 pristine condition. any value?

didnt realise there were so many variants of please please me . mine looks to be an 8th pressing 1969-1970 pristine condition. any value?

My price guide (2010) says £50 mono, £25 stereo.

Not far wrong I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Journey Through The Past by Neil Young. Neil Young hates the album himself and refuses to let it be reissued, therefore it's only available on vinyl.

I also have an original copy of Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd. It has a lock groove at the end of side two. It repeatedly plays the sound of a dripping tap until you lift the tonearm.

Neither of them are worth a fortune but they're probably the rarest albums I own. I don't think I'd ever spend more than about €25 for an album as I'd prefer to own ones I'm not afraid to play.

I like Journey Through The Past. One of the "missing two" along with Time Fades Away. The latter is awesome especially The Bridge and Don't Be Denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Have a few nuggets in the collection

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature (not ever officially released on vinyl, this is a German pressing of it, goes for a few hundred

Richard Hawley - True Love's Gutter - only 1000 made, here's a man who puts serious effort into his vinyl, he used work in a pressing plant. The tunes aren't bad either :)
    Goes for a few hundred.

I buy a lot of fairly obscure stuff out these days that might be worth a few quid in time. As someone said above, I don't see it as a monetary investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

My own gems would be the first 3 Mars Volta albums (I have them all, but those are the ones out of print). Deloused is currently at about $200 on discogs, Frances is about $100 and Amputechture is about $100 again. That said, it really annoys me to see how some fans will exploit each other to make a few bob. I love the 3 albums I mentioned, hence, I play them all the time. I really don't see the point of shelling out a few hundred quid on an album to only put it on a shelf and rarely spin it. Come on, you paid the money, now enjoy the purchase!

Case in point, I realllly wish someone would sell me a copy of Shadows Collide With People by John Frusciante, but I can't justify the $500 price tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

CUCINA wrote: »
    "Happy To Meet, Sorry To part", by Horslips. It had a really elaborate, multi-page cover. I have always suspected a house mate from many years ago as being the light-fingered culprit who removed it from my possession...so I was indeed sorry to part with it!

You should definitely try to grab another copy of that. I have one sitting at home, great album!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

christeb wrote: »
    Most of my valuables are Queen, and the most valuable is probably my A Night At The Opera French white vinyl. Beautiful record, probably worth around €70. Have a few around that

I went through a period of collecting Queen stuff, so in my case possibly the most valuable is A Kind Of Magic - New Zealand - in orange vinyl. I'd guess it's worth a couple of hundred Euro now. Have quite a few picture disks too, and my particular favorite although unlikely to be worth all that much is the Gettin' Smile EP.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Have 70 odd Frank Zappa LPs allot of them are hard to find these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

My Pink Floyd collection which I am still building. A lot of them are 1st pressings with pride of place being my original "Mono" Piper at the Gates of Dawn (worth approx 300 - 400 euro) which is in beautiful condition. Still a bit to go to complete the set though.

PinkFloydVinyl.jpg

Advertisement