Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting tax back

Options
  • 03-04-2013 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering... I'm waiting fro my W-2 form off my employer still and I know the cut-off is April 15th, what happens if I miss this date, do I have to wait till next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You can file your taxes on any day of the year. April 15 is just the date that you have to your taxes for the previous year by if you want to avoid late fees. If you file after that, you will face a penalty/late fee for filing late, and also possible interest on any taxes that you owe. If you don't have all your paperwork in order by April 15, you can file for an extension. This will give you until October to file your taxes, with out having to pay any fees or penalties for filing late.

Btw, why are you still waiting for your W-2? Companies face very stiff penalties if they do not have them sent to their employees by Jan 31st. Let your former employer know that you know that.

If you still have your last pay stub from your last pay check, you can file your taxes with that too. It should have all the info on it that you need to file.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You can file your taxes on any day of the year. April 15 is just the date that you have to your taxes for the previous year by if you want to avoid late fees. If you file after that, you will face a penalty/late fee for filing late, and also possible interest on any taxes that you owe. If you don't have all your paperwork in order by April 15, you can file for an extension. This will give you until October to file your taxes, with out having to pay any fees or penalties for filing late.

Btw, why are you still waiting for your W-2? Companies face very stiff penalties if they do not have them sent to their employees by Jan 31st. Let your former employer know that you know that.

If you still have your last pay stub from your last pay check, you can file your taxes with that too. It should have all the info on it that you need to file.

Hi thanks for reply. I had to ring today to their offices and enquire as to where W-2 forms were... does it have to be a physical copy or can be a copy, as she sent me a PDF today via e-mail. I don't have last pay stub, hope this doesn't **** me up, I forgot them, and I worked for two places ( under one main company)

I don't know why I have had to wait so long and thank you for that bit of information. Even though I don't have payslip info, should that be provided on W-2 forms?
    Only one of my buildings is listed, and I can't make from it whether they have included both places under same payslip and just picked one building, or if I am missing something... I worked in one place for a week, but then moved to another place, so the majority of tax that I'm due back is coming from there... does it say how much tax is due back on the W-2? I remember from my payslips that it mentioned how much emergency tax I paid week-to-week, so presume I can retreive this back. I was working for the summer, and most of my money is tax refundable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hi thanks for reply. I had to ring today to their offices and enquire as to where W-2 forms were... does it have to be a physical copy or can be a copy, as she sent me a PDF today via e-mail. I don't have last pay stub, hope this doesn't **** me up, I forgot them, and I worked for two places ( under one main company)

I don't know why I have had to wait so long and thank you for that bit of information. Even though I don't have payslip info, should that be provided on W-2 forms?

Only one of my buildings is listed, and I can't make from it whether they have included both places under same payslip and just picked one building, or if I am missing something... I worked in one place for a week, but then moved to another place, so the majority of tax that I'm due back is coming from there... does it say how much tax is due back on the W-2? I remember from my payslips that it mentioned how much emergency tax I paid week-to-week, so presume I can retreive this back. I was working for the summer, and most of my money is tax refundable.

Your W-2 and your last pay slip from each company will state what you earned with that company, and what taxes you paid with that company. It will not show what taxes (if any) you may have over paid, and what you may be due back as a refund. That will be calculated when you actually file your taxes. Your W-2 forms and/or your last pay stubs will have your companies tax ID info on it. That and your earnings/tax paid info, is all that you need to file your taxes.

No idea what you mean by buildings.

Regarding you not getting your W-2: Most US companies prefer to mail them out to current and former employees. That way, they can prove that they were sent out before the Jan 31st deadline. They will normally send them to the last known address that they have on file for you. If you have moved back to Ireland since you last worked for them, it was up to you to inform your employers of your current postal address in Ireland. If you did not do that, that is your fault, not theirs & they are not at fault for you not having your W-2 yet.

A photo copy or an email of your W-2 should suffice if you are filing your taxes yourself. Here is a link from the INS itself on how non residents can file their taxes.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad

According to that, US residents (and others who owe US taxes living over seas) have an automatic two month extension until June. I presume that will apply to you too, but you may want to dig a little deeper just to verify that.

Advertisement