Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpark beside Ballina Arts Center

Options
  • 03-04-2013 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up - the carpark up from the Arts center is now pay and display as of today apparently. I just nipped up for a look as I like to park there normally and sure enough there are cars with tickets on them already. The meter itself is kinda hard to spot if there's a van or estate parked near it and the signage is difficult to see - the sign as you come up Barrett street has a "P" on it but i didn't notice a sign when you come down past Coyne tires.

Pricing is 60 cent per hour with a maximum of 4 hours - annoying if you work more than 4 hours in town. I thought carparks like these were free to encourage people to park away from the towns center:/ Anyway, back to parking along Barretts street, which is still free in parts or in the middle of town again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

What about the car park on Batchelors walk? Is that free?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Car park?

Yeah, its new. Its at the back of Dillons/bond store area. You take a left just past the houses going down Batchelors walk. There was a road/lane there that connected to Castle road. The car park is definitely sign posted there.

I was drinking there at the weekend, how did i miss that :/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I was drinking there at the weekend, how did i miss that :/

The question answers itself ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

When the Batchelors walk car park opened it was free but I reckon give it time and they will start to charge. Re the art centre carpark who is going to park their if they have to pay aside form when there are events on in the art centre? Surely a gesture of good will to people working in the town isn't too much to expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

The one tucked in behind Tesco (near Ballina Mineral Water) is pay and display from monday as well.

Wasn't that already pay and display? Pretty sure I saw meters in it when I was there the weekend before last.

The signs are up in the arts centre car-park now, surely people that were given tickets before these signs were erected have grounds to contest them?

Has anybody on here been successful in appealing a parking ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Diseased toe

Thanks

• Advertisement

finisklin wrote: »
    Has anybody on here been successful in appealing a parking ticket?

Yes, because it was a genuine mistake. I was parked on a loading bay, it had just been designated as one. The ground was marked but I couldn't see it as another car in front covered it. There were no signs to indicate it was a loading bay so I was genuinely clueless. I arrived back at the car just as she was writing the ticket, I had 3 small kids with me one literally a new baby and there was no talking to her. I pointed out that I couldn't have see it was a loading bay but no pity from that one!!
    Anyway my husband got a copy of the town bylaws and they were in breach of them, by not having proper signage and ticket was quashed.

Anyway, back to parking along Barretts street, which is still free in parts.

Council repainted the lines along Barrett street - no free parking any more along there.

I see the council have extended the car park zones around the town. The zone now extends all the way up Hill St and into connolly street. As they havn't increased rates in recent years they have to look at ways to get more cash in.

What I really cant understand is why you can only pay for 4 hours parking, anymore and you are expected to buy a long term parking ticket from the council office. So if you come to town and plan on spending the day shopping you have to return to your car after four hours and purchase another ticket, in doing this you still run the risk that the eagle eye warden won't spot your car has been there all day and give you a ticket for over staying your welcome. Its a good way of deterring all day shoppers from the town.

Advertisement