Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I was in Club Head Bang Bang for the first time on Thursday night, I can tell Im going to be a regular there! Great stuff altogether :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yea im always down there, its a great place to be on a thursday night, some great unique acts down there.

Stuff like rest, ten past seven, mary harney must die......o and Resurrect of course ;) all great regular bands down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

440Hz wrote: »
    I was in Club Head Bang Bang for the first time on Thursday night, I can tell Im going to be a regular there! Great stuff altogether :)
    Yes, its a good spot for alternative music alright, the only thing is they dont advertise much,theres quite a good underground music scene in tralee though.
    Havent heard of mary harney must die, have heard of resurect though...heavy stuff...:)

dh0661 wrote: »
    I was driving along Dan Spring Road today, when I noticed about three or four tennis courts, near the cinema.
    Anybody know anything about these ?, is it a club, or will they be available to the general public ?.
    A great idea, I hope they'll be coaching kids.
    I would assume they will be run on a club basis, though i could be wrong.Seems strange to site them next to a main road though!

Ju noaaa sumtan, ye make me feel like an old crone. I hovnt a clue fare any of dem places are.:p Remember Latchfords anyone? McCanns? The Frascati? John Griffins? The Eskimo?

• Advertisement

Ju noaaa sumtan, ye make me feel like an old crone. I hovnt a clue fare any of dem places are.:p Remember Latchfords anyone? McCanns? The Frascati? John Griffins? The Eskimo?
    er....iv heard of the eskimo,not sure what or where it was though, maybe a restaurant?Heard of latchfords too.Never heard of any of the others, and i have a few old books on tralee around the house aswell!The frascati sounds like an italian restaurant!
    Educate us osciiboscii!!:D:D

Yes the Frascati was a restaurant but not Italian. John Griffins was in Rock Street where Rose Garden is now. It was a hardware place with a wooden floor and wooden doors with lift latches on them! Latchfords was similar, it was where Tralee Shopping Centre is now. McCanns was a shop up Castle Street and you could also enter off Ashe street if I remember correctly. It was a type of grocers. I can remember the stuff being loose/unpackaged. The Eskimo was a restaurant too, an upstairs place, I cant recall the exact location now but it was definitely The Mall. Maybe over Der Sullivans thereabouts.
    Anybody else remember anything about Tralee in Ancient Times? Oh yeah, that bakers what was it called, it was at the corner of the mall as you turn into the Square near Dan Fitzgeralds? Havercrofts I think. The bottom of the cakes used always be burnt!!!

The Eskimo was a restaurant too, an upstairs place, I cant recall the exact location now but it was definitely The Mall. Maybe over Der Sullivans thereabouts.
    You are right,it was near there alright, i remember reading about it. I must quiz my old man about some of the other stuff!The tralees old stock reminisce books are a great read if you can find them.I think theres 3 of them, i have two of them,first one is out of print,grr... There was also a book by a local photographer(micheal diggin?)about tralee, it had a load of old pictures in it with captions explaining them, i also have that, not sure exactly where though!!
    Maybe i should get out more!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 aoifekavanagh

Tralee is a lovely place would agree with that.
    i have relations living in tralee and other parts of kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 agapanthus blue

I think the Eskimo was upstairs over what used to be Jerome Walshs shoe shop beside Ders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 aoifekavanagh

i never went out in any clubs or pubs in tralee so i can't say that i know any of the places you mentioned

I remember Latchfords, McCanns and the Eskimo. Before my time but Ive heard enough about them to make me feel like I was around for them :)

Rocking weather today eh!:D:D
    Keeping with the ancient thread, who remembers to the old cinema, as in the old,old one, where mahonys is now,and what was the first film you saw there?? Think mine was jurassic park??though im not sure, could have been honey i shrunk the kids....ah to be young again....:p:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Keeping with the ancient thread,

In Horans Fruit & Veg Rock Street, there is a beautiful old black + white picture of Upper Rock Street, featuring the old CWS building and the old rail line to Feint, dating back to 1925 (I think). Would that be ancient enough for you ?. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tyther

Keeping with the ancient thread, who remembers to the old cinema, as in the old,old one, where mahonys is now,and what was the first film you saw there?? Think mine was jurassic park??though im not sure, could have been honey i shrunk the kids....ah to be young again....:p:)

That was a cool cinema alright.But the only film i remember seeing there was babies day out,possibly was my first time to the cinema though.

LOL!! I could never decide which of those was the first movie I ever saw there either. That is kinda mad.

Remember how people used to sit up in the balcony and throw popcorn down at the poor eejits on the ground level! Tut tut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

ET or Herbie goes banannas id say but also possibly The Jungle Book or Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs
    I remember the Boherbee natives letting off stink bombs all the time.

Horror-Night of the Living Dead, I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭delspeed78

The last unicorn for me....happy days:D

Remember how people used to sit up in the balcony and throw popcorn down at the poor eejits on the ground level! Tut tut
    Yep,the balcony was kinda cool! i always seem to remember it being bigger than it was though,as in the balcony being really high, though i was only small:) any one have any photos?

• Advertisement

dh0661 wrote: »
    In Horans Fruit & Veg Rock Street, there is a beautiful old black + white picture of Upper Rock Street, featuring the old CWS building and the old rail line to Feint, dating back to 1925 (I think). Would that be ancient enough for you ?. :confused:
    Ha, almost:p,Hard to believe that dunnes ncr was the old rail yard,im sure i have a pic of it somewhere...

delspeed78 wrote: »
    The last unicorn for me....happy days:D

OH you just reminded me! The Neverending Story!!!

OMG this is turning into Vintage and Retro now! We are the vintage ones by the sounds of things.

OH you just reminded me! The Neverending Story!!!

OMG this is turning into Vintage and Retro now! We are the vintage ones by the sounds of things.
    Im sure there is more vintage than us on here!!!Though some would say that i am already vintage and retro with my cars.....:D
    Wasnt there a neverending story 2 aswell...?

'spose you know you are getting on a bit when you can remember 3 cinemas in your town!!!:D

Ah the auld cinima, the first film i can really really remember seeing there was jurassic park but i kinda have flashes of memory watching et when i was only a baby with my brothers. I miss that place it had a real charm about it, the new one although fancy an all feels too sterile like an office or somthing.

Patricide wrote: »
    Ah the auld cinima, the first film i can really really remember seeing there was jurassic park but i kinda have flashes of memory watching et when i was only a baby with my brothers. I miss that place it had a real charm about it, the new one although fancy an all feels too sterile like an office or somthing.
    Thats the new carpet, give it 6 months and it will die down....:D

MMMM new cinema smell :D, dont like the way theres no proper double seats either, i know you can put the armrest up but its just not the same you know, not one bit comfy.

True, but its only a small thing really, unless you are entertaining a ladyfriend:D
    incidentally,this is post no 300, the tralee thread is coming on!!!

• Advertisement

See! I feel old now. I can't remember the last time I made use of a double seat, and def can't remember the last time I would have in Tralee. Unless the movie was crap and I decided to go for a snooze or something :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement