Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Anyone in the Killerisk area get fibre broadband set up yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Fenit Rowing Club are hosting their Regatta on Saturday, 27th July, commencing at 11Am:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

There was a mention on the 1pm Radio Kerry news about xtravision closing. Did anyone catch it and if a date was given?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kn wrote: »
    There was a mention on the 1pm Radio Kerry news about xtravision closing. Did anyone catch it and if a date was given?

spotted on Kerryman website that 7 jobs are being lost. I still don't know whether or not its only the Abbey court store closing or both?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    spotted on Kerryman website that 7 jobs are being lost. I still don't know whether or not its only the Abbey court store closing or both?

Manor is staying open apparently. I do not know how that makes sense because if xtravision are moving more towards a hmv model then surely a more central location for impulse purchases makes more sense?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Manor is staying open apparently. I do not know how that makes sense because if xtravision are moving more towards a hmv model then surely a more central location for impulse purchases makes more sense?

plus the Abbey court was seemed a lot busier and easier to get to etc being more central.
    But I think it maybe due to lower rent in Manor?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Mounthawk roundabout is faaaakkin dangerous. Huge oil Spil. My ABS didn't know what hit it!!
    Just be carefull out there!

Mounthawk roundabout is faaaakkin dangerous. Huge oil Spil. My ABS didn't know what hit it!!
    Just be carefull out there!

If Del was any good he would have diffed the Jag around there...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭esprimo

plus the Abbey court was seemed a lot busier and easier to get to etc being more central.
    But I think it maybe due to lower rent in Manor?

Well no matter what is seemingly thought about these stores on the surface it probably stands to reason that the Manor store is more viable overall considering it is indeed the one staying open. I suppose its not that hard to imagine with the shopping centre, mcdonalds, free parking and lots of housing estates close by. Xtravision in town centre probably had the likes of tesco,gamestop and the pawn shop contending for game/dvd sales too.

esprimo wrote: »
    Well no matter what is seemingly thought about these stores on the surface it probably stands to reason that the Manor store is more viable overall considering it is indeed the one staying open. I suppose its not that hard to imagine with the shopping centre, mcdonalds, free parking and lots of housing estates close by. Xtravision in town centre probably had the likes of tesco,gamestop and the pawn shop contending for game/dvd sales too.

good point! At least they are keeping one open though. I do still like to rent DVD's! I know there is still a place in Rock Street that rents dvd's & still has VHS I think, up near Horan's fruit & veg. I know we used to go to them years ago. Anyone here still use them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

If Del was any good he would have diffed the Jag around there...

Already done :D:D:D

Already done :D:D:D

I was behind you in the white van, can't get away with much!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I was behind you in the white van, can't get away with much!

Bloody white van drivers!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

good point! At least they are keeping one open though. I do still like to rent DVD's! I know there is still a place in Rock Street that rents dvd's & still has VHS I think, up near Horan's fruit & veg. I know we used to go to them years ago. Anyone here still use them?

Is that Phil Farmers place?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

I didn't know the Abbey is in liquidation, some state of affairs when a town the size of Tralee doesn't have a night club and the main late bar is in trouble !

kingdumb wrote: »
    I didn't know the Abbey is in liquidation, some state of affairs when a town the size of Tralee doesn't have a night club and the main late bar is in trouble !

That place is always in trouble and will still be in trouble this time next year

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Technically is has a big grind stone when you visit [and the wind is good] you can see seed magic into flour.
    Can the Blennerville windmill be described as a working windmill?

Does the wind drive the sails generating mechanical energy to grind corn or other usefull work?

Cant believe Xtra-vision closing. Im still only getting over JCJM's closing down

Sully34 wrote: »
    Cant believe Xtra-vision closing. Im still only getting over JCJM's closing down

only one of their shops, the Manor one staying open! :)

only one of their shops, the Manor one staying open! :)

Dont care too much about the DVD's but where the hell are we going to get popcorn like that again

• Advertisement

Dont care too much about the DVD's but where the hell are we going to get popcorn like that again

they do it in Manor too! :) its very nice! way better than the cinema crap is now. They make it fresh in Xtravision ;)

they do it in Manor too! :) its very nice! way better than the cinema crap is now. They make it fresh in Xtravision ;)

Panic over then. Is it actually closed down now because I was hoping to pick up some Xmas present boxsets on the cheap!!!

Panic over then. Is it actually closed down now because I was hoping to pick up some Xmas present boxsets on the cheap!!!

I'm not sure, it was last week that I noticed the closing down sign in the window & there was a sale on. It may still be open. I'll be down that way tomorrow so will check!

I'm not sure, it was last week that I noticed the closing down sign in the window & there was a sale on. It may still be open. I'll be down that way tomorrow so will check!

Cheers but that was a joke by the way!!

Cheers but that was a joke by the way!!

ok! not a bad idea though! ;)

It was open today. They are offering 30-60% off stock. Staff themselves do not know when they are closing.

I was in there this morning myself too, for a quick look. Didn't stay too long though, lots of people and I didn't have the patience/interest to search through the mountains of DVDs. Some good deals though, if you have the time to look. I guess you'd still find them cheaper online though, which is probably why they are closing down.

440Hz wrote: »
    I was in there this morning myself too, for a quick look. Didn't stay too long though, lots of people and I didn't have the patience/interest to search through the mountains of DVDs. Some good deals though, if you have the time to look. I guess you'd still find them cheaper online though, which is probably why they are closing down.

There are lots of websites where you can watch the latest releases for free and with decent quality picture. My favourite one even had the hardy bucks film up last week and I thought that was one I would have had to rent as its a bit obscure, but no, no sooner than it was released on dvd than they had it up online......viooz.co.....cough cough.........

There are lots of websites where you can watch the latest releases for free and with decent quality picture. My favourite one even had the hardy bucks film up last week and I thought that was one I would have had to rent as its a bit obscure, but no, no sooner than it was released on dvd than they had it up online......viooz.co.....cough cough.........

Oh I know. I was just making the point for those people that like the physical, tangible disc in the hand thing - always going to be cheaper to buy or even rent online, convenience aside.

For example, I'd say most of the discs on sale at 60% there now are still more expensive than the equivalent somewhere like play.com

• Advertisement

There are lots of websites where you can watch the latest releases for free and with decent quality picture.

PS: those sites are technically illegal piracy, so we shouldn't be promoting them ... boards.ie rules :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement