Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

https://twitter.com/ViperHiggins/status/360765158827638785
    kn wrote: »
    There are lots of websites where you can watch the latest releases for free and with decent quality picture. My favourite one even had the hardy bucks film up last week and I thought that was one I would have had to rent as its a bit obscure, but no, no sooner than it was released on dvd than they had it up online......viooz.co.....cough cough.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Wonderful night being had at O'Donnells by all concerned....paella, rioja & I believe sangria will be flowing quite soon if anyone is hungry or thirsty....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

Apparently The Kerryman reckons the football pitches should consider opening up to tents for the festival! Now that's something to write about! Every hotel room, every apartment and every B&B booked. Apparently there's even gonna be a crazed influx of Eastern European women with dubious morals frequenting our fine town! And JLS. Perfect.

I'll throw it out there. Everyone is on Facebook, well, maybe not everyone. Dell probably still has his leather bound Smythson diary in the glove compartment of the jag. Or yacht. (I joke, I joke Del!!!) Anyways, everyone has some form of social media nowadays. So I propose (seeming as all the B&B's and hotels are booked out!) that everyone puts up a status as an open invite to those friends up and down and across the country to come down for the festival. And seeing that, even though Rocky Mountain Takeaway may not be the greatest takeaway, and even though the only thing 'International' about the festival is the Roma communities contribution to 'The Gathering', and even though everyone will wake up with a sore head at least twice...it's gonna be a laugh!

And how often do we get to show off the best of Tralee...?!

Do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Carraig95 wrote: »
    Apparently The Kerryman reckons the football pitches should consider opening up to tents for the festival! Now that's something to write about! Every hotel room, every apartment and every B&B booked. Apparently there's even gonna be a crazed influx of Eastern European women with dubious morals frequenting our fine town! And JLS. Perfect.

I'll throw it out there. Everyone is on Facebook, well, maybe not everyone. Dell probably still has his leather bound Smythson diary in the glove compartment of the jag. Or yacht. (I joke, I joke Del!!!) Anyways, everyone has some form of social media nowadays. So I propose (seeming as all the B&B's and hotels are booked out!) that everyone puts up a status as an open invite to those friends up and down and across the country to come down for the festival. And seeing that, even though Rocky Mountain Takeaway may not be the greatest takeaway, and even though the only thing 'International' about the festival is the Roma communities contribution to 'The Gathering', and even though everyone will wake up with a sore head at least twice...it's gonna be a laugh!

And how often do we get to show off the best of Tralee...?!

Do it.

Crazed influx of Eastern European women with dubious morals, this could be the best festival ever! Perhaps they would like a spin on my yacht:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I remember the days when the GAA clubs in town were packed with tents! It was unreal the crowds we used to get to the town for the festival! So good to hear that the Hotels & B+B's are booked up for it, its a great boost!! All we need now is the weather! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I have a very negative view of the festival as of the last few years, poor line ups, stages on wheels, the fact that the "dome" is nothing like it used to be, with the exception maybe being last year when I seen a change in numbers and it was put it simply a nice atmosphere.

But this year I am very optimistic, genuinely think it will be similar to times where their would be crowds and crowds of people up as far as benners. Hopefully it will be a game changer for the rose of tralee and maybe for the powers that be will up the anti and invest in good bands, other entertainment etc. Bring back the gig-rig for the square I say.

The knock on effect would be incredible for the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Carraig95 wrote: »
    and even though the only thing 'International' about the festival is the Roma communities contribution to 'The Gathering',

Don't agree there the ROT is a HUGE international event??? There are rose centres dotted all over the globe. From the regionals in Portlaoise to the live finals selections on RTE its followed by over a million people around the world each year.

It's fantastic to hear that the towns accommodation is at its limits. I'm not sure if the re opening of GAA pitches as campsites would help however. The ROT has become much more of a family festival lately and I can't see many families camping in tents tbh.

There's talks of an alcohol tent being set up on Denny st for some of the later adult gigs. That will certainly draw a bigger crowd to the gigs there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

Crazed influx of Eastern European women with dubious morals, this could be the best festival ever! Perhaps they would like a spin on my yacht:D

Love you long time Mr Del. :)

traleespud wrote: »
    There's talks of an alcohol tent being set up on Denny st for some of the later adult gigs. That will certainly draw a bigger crowd to the gigs there.

Tent you say?, beer you say?. Awwwwwww yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Tent you say?, beer you say?. Awwwwwww yeah.

Ya I assume something along the lines of Heineken tent or something!! It made zero sense last year for example when Saw Doctors were in Denny Street you could either A. Have a beer at the top of the street and struggle to hear them or B. head towards the stage to hear them properly but you couldn't do both as they we stopping alcohol at the barriers. Every concert/outdoor event of a similar nature allows you to do both and I think the fact that you couldn't do it previously with ROT events did have an effect on some of the concerts.

I'd imagine the vintners will have something to say about it however!!!

Then there's the kick in the teeth of having to pay €5 for a pint of flat Heineken from a plastic glass from the tent. But I guess that's the same no matter what concert or festival you go to!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Good weather during the Festival should be an added bonus.

The Rose of Tralee remains one of RTE's premier events with record viewings.

Hopefully this year will refresh and rebuild the event for future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Theres a place in Hazlet, New Jersey(NJ 07730) called Tralee road, don't ask how I found that out..!:P‎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Theres a place in Hazlet, New Jersey(NJ 07730) called Tralee road, don't ask how I found that out..!:P‎

There's a town in Ontario called Listowel too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Adiboo wrote: »
    There's a town in Ontario called Listowel too.

my aunt lives in Ontario, I must ask her does she know of it!

My cousins in Canada called their dogs Tralee & Kerry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

I do believe there's a Tralee Road in Ontario too, and there's definitely a Tralee in Australia, just saw it a few days ago somewhere.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    my aunt lives in Ontario, I must ask her does she know of it!

My cousins in Canada called their dogs Tralee & Kerry :)

There's also a Gaeltacht in Ontario!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_North_American_Gaeltacht

is Tralee twinned with anywhere?

Just Westlake, Ohio it seems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tralee#Twinning

never knew that! is there even a sign up anywhere in town saying that? There is a sign on the way into Killarney saying who they are twinned with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Was doing some work for the 'Wastelands' recently and decided to get a coffee during my break. The lad in there said they only had instant which didnt bother me that much untill he charged me FOUR ****ING FORTHY for two cups of pissy instant coffee. I mean for that price I could have got a pint of milk, a bag of sugar and a small tin of that posh Nescafe Al Jazeera coffee.
    Now I know how the tourists feel

Is Tralee not twinned with Springfield ?

Sully34 wrote: »
    Was doing some work for the 'Wastelands' recently and decided to get a coffee during my break. The lad in there said they only had instant which didnt bother me that much untill he charged me FOUR ****ING FORTHY for two cups of pissy instant coffee. I mean for that price I could have got a pint of milk, a bag of sugar and a small tin of that posh Nescafe Al Jazeera coffee.
    Now I know how the tourists feel

You a sparks by any chance sull??.

You a sparks by any chance sull??.
    Not even close pal!!

kingdumb wrote: »
    Is Tralee not twinned with Springfield ?

Yeah and Killarney is Shelbyville.

Well I am not going mad

http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/9862
    Yeah and Killarney is Shelbyville.

Sully34 wrote: »
    Not even close pal!!

Crap, thought I had you pegged :). Anyways on the wetlands subject, I bose 4.40 for two coffees aint that bad, granted it might be piss water (dont drink the crap because it all tastes the same to me) but I seen places charging more.

The grub is nice their though I think.

kingdumb wrote: »

Haha, I thought you taking the piss with the springfield thing.

Crap, thought I had you pegged :). Anyways on the wetlands subject, I bose 4.40 for two coffees aint that bad, granted it might be piss water (dont drink the crap because it all tastes the same to me) but I seen places charging more.

The grub is nice their though I think.

I dont know, I would expect a round in one of them paddle boats as well for that price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Interesting! Would not have guessed the figure was this high .......and who's job is it to look for these packs in the trash?!
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/over-31-of-cigarettes-smoked-in-tralee-are-illegal/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement