Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I was just going to ask about the air display,there was few planes still going around later on in the evening around 8 o clock,apparently conditions weren't suitable earlier in the evening for the pilots to do some of the moves.The ones I saw were impressive,two of them flying in tandem with smoke trails.

What was the make of the jet that buzzed my house? Flew low enough for me to touch the undercarriage with a good jump! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

kn wrote: »
    What was the make of the jet that buzzed my house? Flew low enough for me to touch the undercarriage with a good jump! :D

T'was a Japanese Zero......the kamikaze pilots plane of choice....you were lucky ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

traleespud wrote: »
    Duno what happened the air show yesterday. Aside from the rain it was very thrown together. Huge delays between displays, we were there for about 2.5 hours and only saw 4 planes???. It didn't start until about 4.40 PM despite being advertised for4PM. Family orientated events need to start on time. If they don't kids get irratated parents get p***ed off and it turns people off for future years. This event had huge potential.

Unfortunately 100's of people left. I know the rain had a lot to do with this but if the show held there attention they would have certainly stayed.

Well, I know how annoying it can be to stand in the rain with a bored and cold child, but unfortunately there was nothing the organizers could have done. There was a big, dark and low cloud right over the display area for more than half an hour and the one thing you would not want to happen is a pilot losing spatial orientation during a display. If you cannot see the horizon you can't fly aerobatics, simple as that.
    The coastguard of course is a lot less affected by adverse weather, which allowed the helicopter to show up despite the rain to have at least something going on in the sky. They did everything by the book and after the shower had cleared they put on a great show, but the weather was just bad luck.
    kn wrote: »
    What was the make of the jet that buzzed my house? Flew low enough for me to touch the undercarriage with a good jump

BAC Strikemaster G-SOAF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

Went to The Stunning last night! Concert was great but could not get over the lack of crowds!

I know people are saying it should have been free, but where else in the country would you get Ryan Sheridan, Picturehouse and The Stunning for €10? The festival wouldn't attract decent bands if they didn't charge. Not having a bar was a disaster though!!!

Said it already but was actually proud of the town last night, security, civil service and gardai everywhere, lots of security checkpoints going in and out of the square and everyone was on a good buzz!

Nathan Carter was in the square! Full of Country n'Western lovers line dancing, some craic!!!!

Are the crowds up or down this year?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Carraig95 wrote: »
    Went to The Stunning last night! Concert was great but could not get over the lack of crowds!

I know people are saying it should have been free, but where else in the country would you get Ryan Sheridan, Picturehouse and The Stunning for €10? The festival wouldn't attract decent bands if they didn't charge. Not having a bar was a disaster though!!!

Said it already but was actually proud of the town last night, security, civil service and gardai everywhere, lots of security checkpoints going in and out of the square and everyone was on a good buzz!

Nathan Carter was in the square! Full of Country n'Western lovers line dancing, some craic!!!!

Are the crowds up or down this year?!

I think charging put a lot of people off, there was a huge crowd down tonight apparently for Nathan Carter (whoever that is!), which was free! I had a ball last night, but I was so disappointed at how small the crowd was. The bar closed early, we went over to it at 10.40pm and it was already closed!!

• Advertisement

I do feel very strongly about charging for street entertainment. We have the dome, if you want to charge, put the band's in there. Charging for street entertainment goes against the spirit of the festival to my mind.
    I think a lot of people voted with their feet and stayed away from The Stunning concert, crowds are definitely down overall on last year.
    One thing that amuses/annoys me is one particular stall, the owner warns kids not to paw & dirty his trainers as they're valuable stock etc. He's selling counterfeit Vans, Converse & Paco Rabanne perfume. Why is this allowed by the festival & gardai?
    On a plus note, the overall policing of events has been good, high visibility of gardai & no reports of serious incidents so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Went to Fosset's Circus with a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds. The BigTop was only half full but the children were impressed and enjoyed the evening.

Off to Birds "Bazzar" tonight!

Back in the seventies the "Festabel" used to be on the first week of September. Schools in Tralee stayed closed for an extra week summer holidays, happy days!

Later on it migrated to the last week in August and now it appears to be the third week in August. I reckon If I come back in another few years they will be picking the Roses after the June Weekend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I do feel very strongly about charging for street entertainment. We have the dome, if you want to charge, put the band's in there. Charging for street entertainment goes against the spirit of the festival to my mind.
    I think a lot of people voted with their feet and stayed away from The Stunning concert, crowds are definitely down overall on last year.
    One thing that amuses/annoys me is one particular stall, the owner warns kids not to paw & dirty his trainers as they're valuable stock etc. He's selling counterfeit Vans, Converse & Paco Rabanne perfume. Why is this allowed by the festival & gardai?
    On a plus note, the overall policing of events has been good, high visibility of gardai & no reports of serious incidents so far?

I am amazed that counterfeit Vans, Converse and UGGs (they use the UGG logo on the boots) are being sold! I thought this was illegal?? I also saw fake MAC make-up for sale on a stall on Denny St! Really brings down the tone of the stalls.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Anyone know what time for the fireworks show tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Just saw this on Facebook Tralee Chamber Alliance page. I wouldn't be surprised if the new "buyer" will have a family connection.

Liquidators with responsibility for the Brogue Inn in Tralee have returned the licence to the Kirby family.
    Kirby’s Brogue Inn, located in the town centre, closed suddenly in April after 36 years of trading.
    Tralee District Court approved the transfer of the licence back to the Kirby Family.
    In a statement on behalf of the Kirby family, solicitor Niall Lucey said Mary Kirby appeared in court recently to regularise the licensing situation for the Brogue Inn Tralee, with a view to selling the property.
    He added that the premises has not been sold yet.
    Local auctioneer Paul Stephenson says the property has received local and overseas interest.
    It has a guide price of €395,000. (Kerry Radio)

• Advertisement

Yakult wrote: »

its usually after midnight, not sure of exact time though, its always late!

Yakult wrote: »

Its a bit random. The rose Is picked, she celebrates with her family, the cortege makes its way to Denny St. Speeches & the rest of the congrats. 12.15 - 12.30 I would think

ongarboy wrote: »
    Just saw this on Facebook Tralee Chamber Alliance page. I wouldn't be surprised if the new "buyer" will have a family connection.

Liquidators with responsibility for the Brogue Inn in Tralee have returned the licence to the Kirby family.
    Kirby’s Brogue Inn, located in the town centre, closed suddenly in April after 36 years of trading.
    Tralee District Court approved the transfer of the licence back to the Kirby Family.
    In a statement on behalf of the Kirby family, solicitor Niall Lucey said Mary Kirby appeared in court recently to regularise the licensing situation for the Brogue Inn Tralee, with a view to selling the property.
    He added that the premises has not been sold yet.
    Local auctioneer Paul Stephenson says the property has received local and overseas interest.
    It has a guide price of €395,000. (Kerry Radio)

I did hear last week that it was a family member (the daughter) buying it, but maybe that was confused with this...

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Siamsa TírA! From the Tralee Chamber display at the old AVIVA in the square.

Siamsa TírA! From the Tralee Chamber display at the old AVIVA in the square.

Probably done by somebody with a Norn Iron accent

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

OVERHEARD IN TRALEE: A man walking through Town with his kids turns to them and says "If your all good then I will take ye up to McDonalds but if ye are bad then we are all going to Rocky Mountain"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Sully34 wrote: »
    OVERHEARD IN TRALEE: A man walking through Town with his kids turns to them and says "If your all good then I will take ye up to McDonalds but if ye are bad then we are all going to Rocky Mountain"

Sully man your lost check out the chit chat thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056997807

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Sully man your lost check out the chit chat thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056997807

Rocky Mountain is in Tralee:rolleyes:

Rocky Mountain is in Tralee:rolleyes:

Poor attempt at a rise in fairness!!

Anyway!!! Nathan Carter by all accounts was excellent last night. Hopefully the madness tonight all goes off to plan. Great festival overall!!

A lot of shirts tucked into jeans I would imagine watching Nathan Carter last night waiting on that 'Wagon Wheel" song

• Advertisement

Anybody hear anymore about the lad stabbed up in Ashe St or the woman beating up in the square Sunday night

Anybody hear anymore about the lad stabbed up in Ashe St or the woman beating up in the square Sunday night

No, surprised news like that didn't make headlines. Gardai have been reporting only very minor incidents. If its something you just "overheard" it may be just idle gossip, having said that festivals of this size and prestige will always bring a certain amount of disorder.

I did hear in the news that over 7 million euro had been generated for the town. Not a bad weekends work!!!

Rose of Tralee was trending on twitter last night and again tonight.

It's massive PR for our little town!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

No, surprised news like that didn't make headlines. Gardai have been reporting only very minor incidents. If its something you just "overheard" it may be just idle gossip, having said that festivals of this size and prestige will always bring a certain amount of disorder.

I did hear in the news that over 7 million euro had been generated for the town. Not a bad weekends work!!!

Rose of Tralee was trending on twitter last night and again tonight.

It's massive PR for our little town!!!!

7 million? The Sultan of Brunei must have been holidaying in Tralee

Anybody else get shot by one of them little bastards with the bad haircuts and jeans tucked into the socks carrying around those toy BB guns you can buy in that new shop set up in Irish Permanent. They bloody sting!!

Anybody else get shot by one of them little bastards with the bad haircuts and jeans tucked into the socks carrying around those toy BB guns you can buy in that new shop set up in Irish Permanent. They bloody sting!!

Sorry about that Sully.....couldn't help meself

Sorry about that Sully.....couldn't help meself
    Thats okay lad but I would suggest you go find a decent barber

did anyone head down town tonight? busy?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    did anyone head down town tonight? busy?

Yes, was at Birds for a while, the area of the Green between the 2 carparks was filled with teens at approx 10.30. I would guess in excess of 200, a lot of alcohol visible, a lot of drunk 14 & 15 yo's & a threatening atmosphere. There were some gardai there surrounding the area, but not moving in or confiscating alcohol. I just picked up my child & just pushed my way through to get the hell out.
    I have no idea what happened after that, hopefully it calmed down & they all dispersed peacefully

pookiesboo wrote: »
    7 million? The Sultan of Brunei must have been holidaying in Tralee

Possibly the festival does attract all sorts but I don't think there's a rose centre set up there at the moment. ; )

I suppose alot of it has to do with every hotel room and b&b being fully booked for the weekend and with pubs and restaurants heaving from crowds.

The rose ball for example at €135 per ticket would have generated over 150 thousand in ticket sales alone!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

2.60 for a 500ml bottle of coke from the mall last night. I'm a glutton for punishment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement