Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I dunno was it just me or was last years festival away busier then this year? Like last nights 6 one news they were chatting to a few street traders and they made out they were away down on trade this year,as one of them said "Gathering?? I saw no Gathering"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

2.60 for a 500ml bottle of coke from the mall last night. I'm a glutton for punishment

oh the stories I heard about how much they were charging for drink...scandelous!!
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

How much for a rose ball ticket?
    Dafuq!?
    What do you get for that, a big bag of free stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

How much for a rose ball ticket?
    Dafuq!?
    What do you get for that, a big bag of free stuff?

Reduced this year from 150 last year I think !!!! Sold out 2 weeks before the festival AND had to squash in extra tables to cope with demand!!!!

2.60 for a 500ml bottle of coke from the mall last night. I'm a glutton for punishment

The mall is a funny pub,noting but tumbleweed rolling through there every weekend yet when the festival and Xmas come round the place is packed

If there charging that much for a coke they can jog on for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Who charged that??? Was it der I Sullivan's

traleespud wrote: »
    Reduced this year from 150 last year I think !!!! Sold out 2 weeks before the festival AND had to squash in extra tables to cope with demand!!!!

Christ, people really are morons aren't they!!
    What's the attraction, apart from the perceived grandeur?

Christ, people really are morons aren't they!!
    What's the attraction, apart from the perceived grandeur?

You've obviously never been so I wouldn't go as far as calling people morons!!! Agreed it is quite expensive but it is a fantastic night.

Alot of the people attending are members of the international centres, family and x roses etc

Three fellas doing the work of one man singing The Rose Of Tralee,your man Liam Heaslip I think that was his name was the man for that job,did it for years,no one has come close to him since,powerful singer.

You've obviously never been so I wouldn't go as far as calling people morons!!! Agreed it is quite expensive but it is a fantastic night.

Alot of the people attending are members of the international centres, family and x roses etc
    Ill have to go next year so, purely for research reasons of course !

• Advertisement

Ill have to go next year so, purely for research reasons of course !

Surely there's a boards.ie fund set up for mods for that purpose

Surely there's a boards.ie fund set up for mods for that purpose

Lol! If there is I haven't seen it!

A 'research' fund!

Turned down free tickets for the last three or four years. Wouldn't darken the door

• Registered Users Posts: 1 windwood

Hey Sully The Rovers Return did not close down. It is still open and serving a good pint.

adam88 wrote: »
    Turned down free tickets for the last three or four years. Wouldn't darken the door

Really ?? Why so???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Hi, apologies if posting in the wrong place, but just dropped in to ask some general advice on the area.

Moving to Tralee for work in two weeks time and I should be in the area around 6 months before relocating to Dublin. Just looking for some heads up on where might a good location for accommodation be and perhaps where are the areas I should look to avoid.

Any help is much appreciated, even if its to point me towards the right thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Knex. wrote: »
    Hi, apologies if posting in the wrong place, but just dropped in to ask some general advice on the area.

Moving to Tralee for work in two weeks time and I should be in the area around 6 months before relocating to Dublin. Just looking for some heads up on where might a good location for accommodation be and perhaps where are the areas I should look to avoid.

Any help is much appreciated, even if its to point me towards the right thread.

As you're looking for relatively short-term accommodation then maybe a house share is what your looking for. Not many landlords would in interested in just a 6 month lease. Check out daft for house shares I guess or maybe there is somebody in where you are going to work willing to let a room short-term? There would not be too much in the way of 'areas to avoid' in Tralee. Its a small enough town and as a general rule I think Tralee has much less anti-social behaviour problems than most urbans.

You could always drop us a line when your looking at particular areas what we think of those locations.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kn wrote: »
    As you're looking for relatively short-term accommodation then maybe a house share is what your looking for. Not many landlords would in interested in just a 6 month lease. Check out daft for house shares I guess or maybe there is somebody in where you are going to work willing to let a room short-term? There would not be too much in the way of 'areas to avoid' in Tralee. Its a small enough town and as a general rule I think Tralee has much less anti-social behaviour problems than most urbans.

You could always drop us a line when your looking at particular areas what we think of those locations.

Most estate agents will do 6 month leases, they are usually the minimum lease you can take on. Check out DAFT as most of the agents list rental properties up there. There isn't so much a no go area in town, its not fair to say one place is worse than another, we don't want to offend anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

where can l dispose an old radio and laptop charger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

where can l dispose an old radio and laptop charger?

If you bought replacements for the items, they store you bought them from is legally obliged to take them from you.
    If you're just looking to chuck them, there's an electronics collection in the old mart every few months. They'll take anything electrical & there's prob 1 due very soon.
    Other than that it prob means taking them to Higgins or Dillon's & paying a few euros to get rid of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

If you bought replacements for the items, they store you bought them from is legally obliged to take them from you.
    If you're just looking to chuck them, there's an electronics collection in the old mart every few months. They'll take anything electrical & there's prob 1 due very soon.
    Other than that it prob means taking them to Higgins or Dillon's & paying a few euros to get rid of them

where bouts are higgins and dillons?

where bouts are higgins and dillons?

They are both within half a mile of each other in the Kerries.
    Keep the tax office (Spa Rd) on your left & drive straight out, Higgins are the first you come across, Dillon's are just beyond them, both on the left hand side of the toad

Dealz have their sign up and shop is fitted and being stocked up today! I would say they will be open in a day or two!

in other news, this years Melbourne Rose got married today in Dingle! she planned that one well :)

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Dealz have their sign up and shop is fitted and being stocked up today! I would say they will be open in a day or two!

in other news, this years Melbourne Rose got married today in Dingle! she planned that one well :)

And kept it quite too

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

.. both on the left hand side of the toad
    Would that be anywhere near Toad Hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

I must say "street atmosphere" wise the Festival was a letdown this year. They need to open up Denny St again,let the chip wagons back into the Mall (for just the noise of the generators alone) Put bands (local) back on Rock St, Bridge St, Ashe St, Castle St so there is something going on every corner you turn. A lot of local bands didnt get any gigs for the festival this year and that should change.

Would that be anywhere near Toad Hall?

Yes indeed! :)
    Where are ratty & mole these days...very quiet in here!

Sully34 wrote: »
    I must say "street atmosphere" wise the Festival was a letdown this year. They need to open up Denny St again,let the chip wagons back into the Mall (for just the noise of the generators alone) Put bands (local) back on Rock St, Bridge St, Ashe St, Castle St so there is something going on every corner you turn. A lot of local bands didnt get any gigs for the festival this year and that should change.

I'd imagine like a lot of other things its prob down to costs. It's all very well to say bring back x,y and z but who's going to pay for it???

Every mobile stage hired in, needs lights and sound equipment and someone to operate it. I'd also imagine there's added insurance costs. The local bands that did grace the stages this year were paid little or nothing for there time.

Many of these bands are in demand and can earn a nice few quid in pubs during the festival so it doesn't make sense to play for nothing in the streets.

I know of two local bands that turned down street gigs for this reason.

There's so many festivals these days I'd say the wagons make more in Slane, Oxygen, Electric Picnic etc prob doesn't pay them to come to Tralee anymore. I remember years ago there used to be loads of wagons parked up in Horans Carpark couple of days before festival. Think I only saw one in Denny street this year!!!!

Sully34 wrote: »

I agree,the last few years the tag line they were using for the festival was "Back To Basics" as the festival was dying a slow death,but the few years they kept things simple it worked dont think I heard or saw that tag line once this year with the pre festival coverage.,this year the Gathering took over,did it work I dont think it did to be honest.

• Advertisement

Since the pubs & hotels make the most money from the festival, I presume they would help pay for decent entertainment.
    It's the same old faces in the papers months before the festival starts, asking the business people to "dig deep & help this one be better than before"......funny enough, its the ones asking us to dig deep that have the most to gain. I wonder how much the festival is worth to Walsh Bros shoe shop, or High Culloty or John Dowlings?
    These are businesses that are struggling in these harsh times, yet I dont ever hear of Heatons or Penneys or Dunnes sponsoring anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement