Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Since the pubs & hotels make the most money from the festival, I presume they would help pay for decent entertainment.
    It's the same old faces in the papers months before the festival starts, asking the business people to "dig deep & help this one be better than before"......funny enough, its the ones asking us to dig deep that have the most to gain. I wonder how much the festival is worth to Walsh Bros shoe shop, or High Culloty or John Dowlings?
    These are businesses that are struggling in these harsh times, yet I dont ever hear of Heatons or Penneys or Dunnes sponsoring anything.

AFAIK all business in town are approached for sponsorship.npubs and hotels would be some of the bigger contributors. I'd imagine those who do contribute are mostly local business. Corporate companies are much harder to get anything from!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

traleespud wrote: »
    I'd imagine like a lot of other things its prob down to costs. It's all very well to say bring back x,y and z but who's going to pay for it???

Every mobile stage hired in, needs lights and sound equipment and someone to operate it. I'd also imagine there's added insurance costs. The local bands that did grace the stages this year were paid little or nothing for there time.

Many of these bands are in demand and can earn a nice few quid in pubs during the festival so it doesn't make sense to play for nothing in the streets.

I know of two local bands that turned down street gigs for this reason.

There's so many festivals these days I'd say the wagons make more in Slane, Oxygen, Electric Picnic etc prob doesn't pay them to come to Tralee anymore. I remember years ago there used to be loads of wagons parked up in Horans Carpark couple of days before festival. Think I only saw one in Denny street this year!!!!

All of a sudden there was enough cash for two extra nights which were a waste of time to be honest. As for the bands, I aint talking about the ones who are making a living out of it,they would either be playing the pubs or booked in Killarney. There are a lot of young bands around trying to catch a break and it was good to see some of them in the square for a few songs each. Also there are a lot of good original bands overlooked this Festival which would have been nice to see close the Festival in Denny St or even the Square

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

did anyone see 'Taking Care of Business' on RTE1 tonight? they featured Ballyseedy Garden centre. Just watched it on sky+, good to see them coming out of a tough time!

I did a lot of work for the Festival this year and I have to say I have never met a more tight fisted bunch in my life. I will say "They" but whoever is in the know will know who I am talking about but "They" expect local business' to dig deep and will play every business off one another untill they get what they want done for nothing. Yes the Publicans do well out of it and maybe some of the business' around the Town but anybody doing any direct work for the Festival will not get rich doing so

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Sully34 wrote: »
    I did a lot of work for the Festival this year and I have to say I have never met a more tight fisted bunch in my life. I will say "They" but whoever is in the know will know who I am talking about but "They" expect local business' to dig deep and will play every business off one another untill they get what they want done for nothing. Yes the Publicans do well out of it and maybe some of the business' around the Town but anybody doing any direct work for the Festival will not get rich doing so

we are still waiting for event guides we asked for the Monday before the festival started...will have to wait until next year when the come asking for money off us again...not sure we will bother anymore! They don't even list all the local sponsors anymore, just the 'big' ones! Bet they weren't asking & asking for some leaflets/event guides and ignored! Oh did I mention I had the same problem last year, although they did drop them in last year, after the festival had started!

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    we are still waiting for event guides we asked for the Monday before the festival started...will have to wait until next year when the come asking for money off us again...not sure we will bother anymore! They don't even list all the local sponsors anymore, just the 'big' ones! Bet they weren't asking & asking for some leaflets/event guides and ignored! Oh did I mention I had the same problem last year, although they did drop them in last year, after the festival had started!

They were probably too embarrassed to hand you an event guide after robbing you of your hard earned money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

Started reading back through the comments over the last five pages as I noticed a common theme - negativity towards the Rose of Tralee. I got as far as 34 negative comments versus four positive (and a few questions etc) before I stopped.

regardless of whether or not certain people made money out of it, or didn't enjoy their favourite bands playing, or missed the sound of chip van engines, I am fairly sure it was and will remain to be an overwhelming positive for Tralee.

There is literally no other town that receives such national and regional exposure as Tralee over the few days in late summer. Maybe the crowds weren't as big, but this years' festival was spread out over seven days as opposed to four and was continually booked up. I was out four nights and didn't see one fight, walked through the green with herself and was saluted by the 'young threatening scumbags', the streets were continually being cleaned right until the early hours of the morning, stewards, civil service and Gardaí were brilliant, security in and out of the square was better than a concert and there was a great vibe around the place.

When the festival is condensed back to a five day weekend next year everyone will see a major difference.

It does baffle me though, how people ramble on about being positive when it comes to Tralee, and then at a time of year when there are inevitably more 'outsiders' checking into the thread they see a bunch of regular posters incessantly complain! Del, where've you been for the positivity!!!!!?

I'd a great laugh and I spend a fortune in town!!!!

Roll on next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

^ Hear hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Carraig95 wrote: »
    Started reading back through the comments over the last five pages as I noticed a common theme - negativity towards the Rose of Tralee. I got as far as 34 negative comments versus four positive (and a few questions etc) before I stopped.

regardless of whether or not certain people made money out of it, or didn't enjoy their favourite bands playing, or missed the sound of chip van engines, I am fairly sure it was and will remain to be an overwhelming positive for Tralee.

There is literally no other town that receives such national and regional exposure as Tralee over the few days in late summer. Maybe the crowds weren't as big, but this years' festival was spread out over seven days as opposed to four and was continually booked up. I was out four nights and didn't see one fight, walked through the green with herself and was saluted by the 'young threatening scumbags', the streets were continually being cleaned right until the early hours of the morning, stewards, civil service and Gardaí were brilliant, security in and out of the square was better than a concert and there was a great vibe around the place.

When the festival is condensed back to a five day weekend next year everyone will see a major difference.

It does baffle me though, how people ramble on about being positive when it comes to Tralee, and then at a time of year when there are inevitably more 'outsiders' checking into the thread they see a bunch of regular posters incessantly complain! Del, where've you been for the positivity!!!!!?

I'd a great laugh and I spend a fortune in town!!!!

Roll on next year!

Civil defence rather than civil service. Don't forget the red cross

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Thanks Carraig95-my sentiments exactly but stated much more eloquently than i could !Was off work for the first time in years so saw alot of the Festival - first hand I saw big ,well behaved crowds enjoying themselves with dry weather being a huge bonus Well done all responsible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

A great festival this year, my 15th, great athmosphere around town...reminds me of Killarney every weekend during the summer...pity Tralee only has that once a year

Enjoyed a meal out in Cassidys last night, top notch, great service...only complaint...no sorry can't think of one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

pickled101 wrote: »
    A great festival this year, my 15th, great athmosphere around town...reminds me of Killarney every weekend during the summer...pity Tralee only has that once a year

Enjoyed a meal out in Cassidys last night, top notch, great service...only complaint...no sorry can't think of one

You do realise that jibe about Killarney will actually hit Tralee people where it hurts? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Sorry about that Killarney bit kn, only meant those complaining about the festival should see it as a great advertisment and cash injection for Tralee.

I bought a house in Tralee, living here for 15 yrs, work in Town and find myself standing up for it on numerous occasions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

pickled101 wrote: »
    Sorry about that Killarney bit kn, only meant those complaining about the festival should see it as a great advertisment and cash injection for Tralee.

I bought a house in Tralee, living here for 15 yrs, work in Town and find myself standing up for it on numerous occasions

Well done Pickled !

Like you I am a blow in and regular visitor to Tralee. I find it rather demoralising to see Posters who have lived in Tralee all their lives who regularly run down Tralee, even on Rose Week!

PS. KN understand your point !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

I believe the residents of Tralee are overall, very supportive of the festival. But it doesn't mean it's above criticism. Charging for street entertainment is a particular bugbear of mine, and I don't apologize for it.
    The teenage drinking is getting worse, as I mentioned the area between Birds 2 sites was awash with drunk teens Tuesday night & it was disgraceful.
    Price hikes by businesses are unwelcome too. It doesn't do much for customer good will for the other 51 weeks of the year
    Things like loud music keeping kids awake, people throwing up in your doorway, or drinking bottles behind your house etc are annoyances, but you can get over those inconveniences for the greater good so to speak.
    But for me the festival is all about the children, I'm too old & cynical to enjoy it these days ;)
    But as long as the little ones enjoy the fireworks, face painting, grain of rice bracelets, ice cream, candy floss, street entertainment, pony rides, Fossets circus, Birds bazaar, gazing at the Roses in awe during the parade Saturday night, I think I can get over my grumpy old self for another year

I believe the residents of Tralee are overall, very supportive of the festival. But it doesn't mean it's above criticism. Charging for street entertainment is a particular bugbear of mine, and I don't apologize for it.
    The teenage drinking is getting worse, as I mentioned the area between Birds 2 sites was awash with drunk teens Tuesday night & it was disgraceful.
    Price hikes by businesses are unwelcome too. It doesn't do much for customer good will for the other 51 weeks of the year
    Things like loud music keeping kids awake, people throwing up in your doorway, or drinking bottles behind your house etc are annoyances, but you can get over those inconveniences for the greater good so to speak.
    But for me the festival is all about the children, I'm too old & cynical to enjoy it these days ;)
    But as long as the little ones enjoy the fireworks, face painting, grain of rice bracelets, ice cream, candy floss, street entertainment, pony rides, Fossets circus, Birds bazaar, gazing at the Roses in awe during the parade Saturday night, I think I can get over my grumpy old self for another year

Mr.Juneau,

You have made some very valuable points.
    The issue regarding drunken teenagers is absolutely disgraceful, but is a Nationwide problem.
    My question is twofold, firstly where are they getting the money for alcohol and secondly where are they buying it.?
    The Wine shops and Supermarkets operate strict rules regarding the sale of alcohol in Tralee yet still the problem exists. It is shameful that scenes you witnessed last Tuesday Night, took away from what should have been a pleasant family evening out, enjoying the festival.

Underage drinking is far from a new trend,I think most posters here must have been guilty of it. You see it on the strrets every weekend,nevermind the Festival. They just get someone older to go in and get it for them.
    I will say the pubs were great this Festival,inside and out. And also great to see so many Garda on the streets (for once) I guess it will always be weighed up against the Festivals of old before Guinness pulled out but if they cut it down to a long weekend next year and invest wisely then it can only keep getting better.

"If the kids are united they will never be divided"

Mr.Juneau,

You have made some very valuable points.
    The issue regarding drunken teenagers is absolutely disgraceful, but is a Nationwide problem.
    My question is twofold, firstly where are they getting the money for alcohol and secondly where are they buying it.?
    The Wine shops and Supermarkets operate strict rules regarding the sale of alcohol in Tralee yet still the problem exists. It is shameful that scenes you witnessed last Tuesday Night, took away from what should have been a pleasant family evening out, enjoying the festival.

As Sully has said, teenage drinking & the festival go hand in hand. But, in my day, it was 16 & 17 yo's who did it. Unfortunately now, it's 13,14 &15yo's.
    It's quite easy for them to get alcohol, somebody always has an older brother or a fella who will buy the drink for a few quid.
    My problem would be with parents not knowing what kids that age are up to!

I spotted in this weeks Kerry's Eye that Dealz are advertising for a store manager. Are they opening this weekend or next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭geewhizz

Underage drinking is far from a new trend,I think most posters here must have been guilty of it. You see it on the strrets every weekend,nevermind the Festival. They just get someone older to go in and get it for them.
    I will say the pubs were great this Festival,inside and out. And also great to see so many Garda on the streets (for once) I guess it will always be weighed up against the Festivals of old before Guinness pulled out but if they cut it down to a long weekend next year and invest wisely then it can only keep getting better.

"If the kids are united they will never be divided"

Hmmmm big sham 69 fan with the quote if the kids are united

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I spotted in this weeks Kerry's Eye that Dealz are advertising for a store manager. Are they opening this weekend or next week?

Store is almost fully stocked as of last night, so I'm guessing they will def be open in the next few days.
    I've heard of at least 1 person who was offered a n assistant managers job, had a look & said nope. Could be a fun first week in there for staff

Store is almost fully stocked as of last night, so I'm guessing they will def be open in the next few days.
    I've heard of at least 1 person who was offered a n assistant managers job, had a look & said nope. Could be a fun first week in there for staff

not a good sign if no one wants a manager job!! I hope Dealz opening doesn't mean another business in the square closes....I have a feeling it could have a knock on affect, hopefully not though. I know we have more than enough discount stores now, but I wouldn't like to see anyone close due to this one opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I love the festival!, we were down every night and really enjoyed it. I have 2 smallies and they had a great time, really nice reliving the festival through them :-) barely have 2 cent to rub together this week but worth it.

Regarding the crowd of teenagers around the bazaar i think it was on the tuesday night my wife was pushing our youngest in the buggy and a member of the Garda reserve stopped people walking through the gap in the wall from both sides so my wife could get the buggy through :-) he wouldn't let anyone move until she got through, the gardaí did a great job this year, felt very safe around town with the kiddies

geewhizz wrote: »
    Hmmmm big sham 69 fan with the quote if the kids are united

I hope you didnt have to google that

As Sully has said, teenage drinking & the festival go hand in hand. But, in my day, it was 16 & 17 yo's who did it. Unfortunately now, it's 13,14 &15yo's.
    It's quite easy for them to get alcohol, somebody always has an older brother or a fella who will buy the drink for a few quid.
    My problem would be with parents not knowing what kids that age are up to!

I actually agree with Sully above on this point.

In my day, and my day was a long time ago, we were drinking at fourteen and fifteen. Things actually haven't changed really. I just think the older we get we tend to look back at the past through rose tinted glasses. It's nostalgia, which inherently is a way of looking into the past and glossing over the bad parts and focusing on the good.

I remember getting someone to buy us naggins of vodka and throwing them into bottles of Club Orange and falling around the town, desperately trying to avoid our parents/parents friends/football coaches/priests. All the while trying desperately to run into other drunk fifteen year old girls, of which there were plenty.

So, I think the young people are just being young people. Don't think they'll ever start drinking in Tralee much earlier than thirteen/fourteen. And while they'll always be boisterous and troublesome, I think they're no different to any buch of kids anywhere else in the country.

Roll on the festival next year!!!

Dont worry most them kiddies will have moved onto heroin by the time the Festival comes around next year anyway

Dont worry most them kiddies will have moved onto heroin by the time the Festival comes around next year anyway

Perfect. More money for me!

Carraig95 wrote: »
    I actually agree with Sully above on this point.

In my day, and my day was a long time ago, we were drinking at fourteen and fifteen. Things actually haven't changed really. I just think the older we get we tend to look back at the past through rose tinted glasses. It's nostalgia, which inherently is a way of looking into the past and glossing over the bad parts and focusing on the good.

I remember getting someone to buy us naggins of vodka and throwing them into bottles of Club Orange and falling around the town, desperately trying to avoid our parents/parents friends/football coaches/priests. All the while trying desperately to run into other drunk fifteen year old girls, of which there were plenty.

So, I think the young people are just being young people. Don't think they'll ever start drinking in Tralee much earlier than thirteen/fourteen. And while they'll always be boisterous and troublesome, I think they're no different to any buch of kids anywhere else in the country.

Roll on the festival next year!!!

Underage drinking, nope, not me.

As regards young teens avoiding the priests, sadly many were avoiding them for reasons other than underage drinking.!

Absolutely agree ,teenagers are teenagers the world over. The vast majority cop on and become successful individuals in their own right.

The kids today are tomorrows future. It can be easy to sit on the fence and judge them, however so long as they don't harm themselves nor innocent bystanders.

Admittedly seeing them travel about the place in drunken packs can be frightening for parents trying to protect younger children at Festivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Yeah I didn't really drink during the festival when I was underage, I would drink an auld Blue Wkd in a plastic cup from the Silver Coin but that was mainly because I liked it and the novelty of it :D I did drink (a load) the summer and festival that I was 17 but that's because I was finished school and most of my friends were 18 so were going to the bars etc. I don't count that as one of my underage years ha. I think I was in the Dome nearly every night that year, and gallivanting til the small hours after it. We were never falling down drunk, just a few sociable cans in the Square or about 4 of us sharing a naggin, not enough to make us very drunk.

But then I was always the only sober one at the underage discos (and at many SAM events which bugged me because the whole point was to have alcohol free fun!!) so maybe it just wasn't the crowd I hung out with. I was going to youth discos for about a year before I realised the reason I didn't find them as "amazing" as others and never scored any guys was because I was about the only one not necking a naggin before it in the park :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Following on from the Barge's misuse of port and starboard lights I have yet another maritime/interior design faux pas to report.
    In the gents toilet in Yummy cafe there is a sign listing the sea areas of the British Isles, with all the ones surrounding Ireland omitted !

Feck'in scandalous !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement