Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

440Hz wrote: »
    See! I feel old now. I can't remember the last time I made use of a double seat, and def can't remember the last time I would have in Tralee. Unless the movie was crap and I decided to go for a snooze or something :pac:
    The only time i ever slept in the cinema was when i was horribly drunk, and that wasnt fun!!!
    The film was plunkett and mcleane, i dont know how we were left in, me and my buddy were wrecked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

The only time i ever slept in the cinema was when i was horribly drunk, and that wasnt fun!!!

I remember doing it twice - once years and years ago, after the pub ;) and once a few weeks ago, watching the matinee of Rocky after a very very late night! I woke up quickly enough with all that gun fire, and the thump I got "I can't believe you feel asleep during such a fantastic movie", uhhmmmm errrr yeah :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Well even if your not entertaining a lady, for comfyness its nice to have double seats, i hear its illegal for some fire safty reason or some such nonsense these days.

Bah tralee doesnt feel like tralee anymore for me, and im only 19, must be shocking for you older folks. The whole place seems, i dunno too corprate these days, no more family run places. I dunno its a random rant where even i dunno where im trying to go with it. my bad.

I remember doing it twice - once years and years ago, after the pub ;) and once a few weeks ago, watching the matinee of Rocky after a very very late night! I woke up quickly enough with all that gun fire, and the thump I got "I can't believe you feel asleep during such a fantastic movie", uhhmmmm errrr yeah :rolleyes:
    If anyone hasnt seen it,and if its still on, go and see "in bruges" with colin farrell, its great, very funny without trying too hard, you wont fall asleep during it i guarantee!!!

If anyone hasnt seen it,and if its still on, go and see "in bruges" with colin farrell, its great, very funny without trying too hard, you wont fall asleep during it i guarantee!!!

hehe!! Great movie, I loved it. :)

In fact, that was when someone dumped Malteasers in my popcorn lol!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

In Bruges is a brilliant movie, you definiately won't fall asleep, its been a while since i saw so many people leave with smiles on their faces after a movie!

Highly recommend going to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

want to see that film but is it worth babbysitter fee??:rolleyes:
    It probably is!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

want to see that film but is it worth babbysitter fee??:rolleyes:
    It probably is!:D
    Definately worth the cost! carchaeologist guaratees! that you'll enjoy it!!

maims3875 wrote: »
    Definately worth the cost! carchaeologist guaratees! that you'll enjoy it!!

Does that mean carch is offering a money back guarantee :D lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm sure some of the more mature contributors here remember being able to smoke freely in the old cinema on Castle Street. Ashtrays were provided on all seats. One of my many memories there is of the late Michael O'Donovan who used to frequent the cinema often and would light up a ciggie during a dark scene of the movie so you were able to recognise him from the glow of the flame. He would then review the films in his show on Tralee Local Radio (remember that radio station, anyone??). My first memory of going to the cinema with my dad and brothers would be Superman (late 70s I think). I think I was more in awe of the cinema than the actual film!!) I've yet to visit the new (new) cinema but am not down in Tralee often now but here it is like your typical multiplex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

'spose you know you are getting on a bit when you can remember 3 cinemas in your town!!!:D

I don't remember any of those cinemas either. The only old cinema I remember is the one in Abbey Court car park, just recently demolished.

Yeah-the fag smoke!! And there used to be a short film on first. And that music they used to play while waiting for the place to fill, with those "bubbles" floating round the screen! Twas easy amuse us then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Ah yes the bubbles!! completely forgot about them! What was that all about? Another thing I liked about the old cinema is that they always let you in to the over 18s films even if you were a kid. I believe they started a strict age policy once they moved down to Ivy Terrace.

We used to buy our sweets at Healy's Dairy across the road before hand as the sweets for sale in the cinema were too pricey - somethings never change!! In fact now, I think I read a rule that only food purchased at cinemas can be consumed there - they really make their profits on that one.

Oh yeah!! The bubbles!! Ya know, they have a projection screen in the Osbourne that has those bubbles floating around the wall, great stuff after a few pints ;)

ok I know it's only Thursday but where are ye all off to for pints at the weekend?:)

Going to Killarney on Saturday night, Tommy Tiernan. Where are ya heading yourself Siobhan? We still have to organise a little thread meet up sometime!

Probably sitting in as usual!!!!
    might venture as far as the dog track friday evening,
    more I think about it the weekend should start thursday!!
    taking advantage of the wine offers in tesco!:pac:

Does that mean carch is offering a money back guarantee :D lol
    Ha, you wont want your cash back,it is that good!!This thread is livening up isnt it!!
    Im up for the weekend starting thursday too!Never got around to getting tiernan tickets, saw him last time though, no complaints!Any dylan moran fans on here?
    It will be local pints for me on sat night id say!:D

dh0661 wrote: »
    I don't remember any of those cinemas either. The only old cinema I remember is the one in Abbey Court car park, just recently demolished.
    You must be only a young one!!:pThat cinema opened around 94 i think, i was there the first night it opened, buildings dont seem to last long these days!!
    Who remembers the old dunnes down across from lifestyle sports when it was a supermarket!!I vaguely do....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tipsy7

I have lived in Tralee for a large part of my life I'm in my mid twenties now and I have to say it is the most horrible, depressing, backward town I have ever seen. It is like the town that society has forgotten and I don't blame them. If anyone asks me about it I recommend avoiding it like the plague. I would direct them to nearly any other part of Kerry.:(

• Advertisement

Tipsy7 wrote: »
    I have lived in Tralee for a large part of my life I'm in my mid twenties now and I have to say it is the most horrible, depressing, backward town I have ever seen. It is like the town that society has forgotten and I don't blame them. If anyone asks me about it I recommend avoiding it like the plague. I would direct them to nearly any other part of Kerry.:(
    Its what you make of it...i personally have no problem with the place, all are entitled to their opinion though.

You must be only a young one!!:pThat cinema opened around 94 i think, i was there the first night it opened, buildings dont seem to last long these days!!
    Who remembers the old dunnes down across from lifestyle sports when it was a supermarket!!I vaguely do....:)
    It was a dirty dive. Remember Quinnsworth across the road, where Elverys etc are now? And the Square before it was surfaced??? The turkeys hanging up for sale at christmas? And Storeens shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tyther

Oh yeah!! The bubbles!! Ya know, they have a projection screen in the Osbourne that has those bubbles floating around the wall, great stuff after a few pints ;)

Ah the osbourne,i go in there every night out,but never for more than 10 min,all we get is a round of liquid cocains or orange bastards and leave again.The wall bubbles are great to look at while your waiting though.

It was a dirty dive. Remember Quinnsworth across the road, where Elverys etc are now? And the Square before it was surfaced??? The turkeys hanging up for sale at christmas? And Storeens shop?
    I remember quinnsworth where tescos is now, im maybe a bit young for the rest though.....never heard of storeens shop either,and i thought i had a good grasp of the history of the town!!:o

I remember quinnsworth where tescos is now, im maybe a bit young for the rest though.....never heard of storeens shop either,and i thought i had a good grasp of the history of the town!!:o

Dya remember the "old" Tesco where Dunnes is now in the Horan center?

Kinda, there was lots more shops in there too wasnt there!!

Ya, and there was another one there at one time, was it called H.Williams or something? An english supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tipsy7

Its what you make of it...i personally have no problem with the place, all are entitled to their opinion though.

I appreciate that some people like tralee, but I just can't see why....
    There is nothing to do and the place is over populated with skobes & culchies. It's the same people going to the same places, going to school, working, marrying, rearing famillies basically living and dying in Tralee it is quite depressing if you think about it. It really hasn't progressed in the last 10-15 yrs. If u notice the things people are discussing here are places that were around along time ago! :confused:

There is nothing to do and the place is over populated with skobes & culchies. It's the same people going to the same places, going to school, working, marrying, rearing famillies basically living and dying in Tralee it is quite depressing if you think about it. It really hasn't progressed in the last 10-15 yrs. If u notice the things people are discussing here are places that were around along time ago! :confused:

And that is different to other mid-sized towns how?

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I don't think its fair to pass judgement on the people who choose to stay in the town, just because you don't like the place. Each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Can you show me any other town that is more exciting, vibrant and progressive ?
    Have you noticed that the last few posts here have been talking about history. Every town has history, so I can't figure out the :confused: part of your post.
    As for your culchie quote, I take it that your a Dub., or else your a very snobby Kerry person. Outside the pale everyone is called a culchie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement