Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Coz it's the British Isles & good old Ireland wanted nothing to do with those dirty, smelly Anglo Saxon waters?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

I was thinking that, but I would have expected the opposite, just the Irish areas. What do the republicans have to say about this.

Shannon for life !

Coz it's the British Isles & good old Ireland wanted nothing to do with those dirty, smelly Anglo Saxon waters?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

there appears to be something going into the shop beside Eason's which as been vacant for a good while now (it was a bag shop last time it was occupied). There was work being done in there today & it looks like it was fitted out. Wonder what it is!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Might of missed this but did anyone notice the "Regatta" outdoor clothing shop down by the credit union?, came out of nowhere......

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

I saw yesterday in Manor West a silver car with an Irish plate but with a London reg no: LC-08-K**!
    I wonder how is that allowed if it is at all?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

snams wrote: »
    I saw yesterday in Manor West a silver car with an Irish plate but with a London reg no: LC-08-K**!
    I wonder how is that allowed if it is at all?!

It's a halfhearted dodge, iv seen a few.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I see that 'Vals'/'Dantes' is up for sale! That's another bar/restaurant on the market in town! I also noticed that Nancy Myles is also for sale in Ballymullen!

Might of missed this but did anyone notice the "Regatta" outdoor clothing shop down by the credit union?, came out of nowhere......

yeah it opened a few weeks ago

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I see that 'Vals'/'Dantes' is up for sale! That's another bar/restaurant on the market in town! I also noticed that Nancy Myles is also for sale in Ballymullen!

Two ships that sank quickly not so long ago.
    Though Val's was a different story to Nancy's...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

did anyone see 'Taking Care of Business' on RTE1 tonight? they featured Ballyseedy Garden centre. Just watched it on sky+, good to see them coming out of a tough time!

Yeah I watched it. Was it 3 or 4million they said that the place was in debt? Feck me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

What happened in Castle Street this pm? Fire Engines , Garda Cars, Street Blocked off.

It was also sad to hear about a serious RTA at Clogherbrien Cross involving 10 people, 6 of whom are from US on Hols

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Didnt notice any thing in Castle St this afternoon but I did see the tow away truck on the Mall.

There was a bad smash half way up caherslee at about 4pm one car pinned against the wall by the other which was at right angles across the road.

Didnt notice any thing in Castle St this afternoon but I did see the tow away truck on the Mall.

There was a bad smash half way up caherslee at about 4pm one car pinned against the wall by the other which was at right angles across the road.

Around 1.30/1.45pm Castle Street from entrance to St John's Church and beyond was sealed off:)

Gosh did not hear about car smash in Caherslee.

The Emergency Services are having a tough weekend

Dealz has opened. Its a glorified pound shop. Good value for milk 63c/l and sugar 99p/kg but poor value for Breakfast cereal generally.

The fire engines were for Sami's takeaway (chicken hunt I think it's called now)
    There was a smell of gas, so one truck investigated, while another blocked traffic & pedestrians from passing. There's a cubby beside the takeaway with free standing flogas containers for cooking in there, one had a fault, no huge deal, but it was dealt with by the fire brigade & the flogas engineer did the repairs this eve

Everyone is very nervous about gas since the tragedy in Killarney last month.

I see work has recommenced at dogsbollix roundabout in strand road, matt talbot road. A JCB is clearing the ground behind the existing block wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I see work has recommenced at dogsbollix roundabout in strand road, matt talbot road. A JCB is clearing the ground behind the existing block wall.

Finally. I thought about that last time I was home as I knew the upgrade was on the cards and wondered why nothing had started. It was looking very shabby. With the new side entrance to the Bons also nearing completion, Matt Talbot Road finally starting to look a bit more visually appealing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Good, hard to see what they can do with it though. Roundabouts don't work when they're that small. Doesn’t help when some of the exits aren't even on the roundabout.

Yes its hard to see what they can do. Its very very dangerous for pedestrians. It also is the only mini roundabout in the country that I know of that has a stop sign on one of the approaches. So if you are coming in from matt talbot rd and another car is coming down strand rd from the bons you must yield but he must stop!

• Advertisement

Yes its hard to see what they can do. Its very very dangerous for pedestrians. It also is the only mini roundabout in the country that I know of that has a stop sign on one of the approaches. So if you are coming in from matt talbot rd and another car is coming down strand rd from the bons you must yield but he must stop!

Yes, cars coming down Strand Street were simply driving over the roundabout! Hence the reason for the stop sign. It really is a crazy set up

While on the subject of dangerous , potentially fatal accidents.

The Mummys of the children attending Spa National school, did not learn much while school was out during July And August.

The road was widened by knocking and rebuilding the school boundary wall and a portion of the Churchill GAA boundary wall, at considerable expense. A new footpath was built to allow pupils walk from a potential drop zone at the entrance to Churchill GAA all the way to the front gate of the school.

Sadly the Mummys' who appear to be the dumbest motorists I have witnessed over the years are still illegally parking, double parking and driving out into oncoming traffic. Absolutely no consideration is given to other road users.

It is only a miracle someone has not been fatally injured at school opening and closing time..

Mummys, Spa National School is as it says on the wall , a school , not a McDonald's drive in!

Perhaps Mummys it is time to return to the Driving Schools for a few lessons while Fiachra and Sneachta are busy in their place of learning:)

Another thing I find shocking is the amount of parents in 2013 who pick up their kids and do not buckle them up or have age appropriate child seats for them. I'm including deluxe SUV driving yummy mummies and daddies here - if you can afford top of the range cars and wear the designer shades (even when it's dull), you can afford to protect your kids!

Not solely a Tralee problem of course... but I digress!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

ongarboy wrote: »
    Another thing I find shocking is the amount of parents in 2013 who pick up their kids and do not buckle them up or have age appropriate child seats for them. I'm including deluxe SUV driving yummy mummies and daddies here - if you can afford top of the range cars and wear the designer shades (even when it's dull), you can afford to protect your kids!

Not solely a Tralee problem of course... but I digress!

Imagine my shock a few weeks back when a mother pulled up outside argos, and let her 12/13 year old out of the boot!

I hope the Tralee Chamber Alliance won't mind me copying this from their Facebook page but I thought it made interesting reading. Well done to Tralee for it's tidy town efforts this year as detailed below.......however it seems Dunnes Stores was the only let down. I really think a wealthy retail chain like Dunnes have no excuse not to keep their site in proper order.

Tralee _ IBAL Report.

An excellent result – congratulations to the local authority and citizens of Tralee. There were seven top ranking sites out of a total of ten and there were no seriously littered sites. Some of the top ranking sites were not just clear of litter but very fresh in presentation and appearance e.g. Car Park at Park Place, Pairc an Piarsaig and Castle Street.

Dan Spring Road: Grade A. A very good approach road, creating a positive first impression of Tralee. Road surface / signage / markings were in good order and there was an absence of litter throughout.

Car Park at Park Place: Grade A. Tralee Town Council signage at car park, indicating parking rate for 30 minutes. This was a pristine looking car park. Not only was it clear of all litter but it was very clean and fresh looking, perhaps a new site.

Pairc an Piarsaig: Grade A. A wonderful amenity with planting, grass area, seating, sculpture etc. in very good condition. Clearly this is a very well respected and cared for public amenity.

Limerick Approach Road: Grade B. There was a scattering of loose food related litter along this road – much of the litter appeared ‘new’ so it may have been due to heavy volumes of traffic on a sunny summer’s day.

Tralee GAA Stadium: Grade A. There was a virtual absence of litter at the entrance and immediate environs. The car park was somewhat untidy looking.

Castle Street Lower: Grade A. There was a very fresh appearance to this busy shopping street. Individual shops were well presented and maintained, the paving was in good order and the ornamental trees were very attractive – all in all this was a top ranking site.

Imperial Hotel: Grade A. The hotel fronts directly on to the street, with an adjoining laneway. The façade was in very good order and planting was a nice feature. There was an absence of litter throughout the area surveyed.

Dingle Approach Road: Grade A This was a very fresh looking route, with the additional feature of planter type boxes along the central median. It was a very tidy site and clear of all litter.

Killarney Approach Road: Grade B. The stretch of road leading up to John Cronin Roundabout was fresh and clean but the more rural aspects of this route were somewhat littered – all manner of food related litter was present e.g. coffee cups, cans, sweet papers etc..

Dunnes Stores: Grade B. Disappointing, given that food retailers sell themselves on the basis of high standards of hygiene. What let this site down was the surrounding wall which was grubby in appearance and harboured litter at the base.

ongarboy wrote: »
    I hope the Tralee Chamber Alliance won't mind me copying this from their Facebook page but I thought it made interesting reading. Well done to Tralee for it's tidy town efforts this year as detailed below.......however it seems Dunnes Stores was the only let down. I really think a wealthy retail chain like Dunnes have no excuse not to keep their site in proper order.

Tralee _ IBAL Report.

An excellent result – congratulations to the local authority and citizens of Tralee. There were seven top ranking sites out of a total of ten and there were no seriously littered sites. Some of the top ranking sites were not just clear of litter but very fresh in presentation and appearance e.g. Car Park at Park Place, Pairc an Piarsaig and Castle Street.

Dan Spring Road: Grade A. A very good approach road, creating a positive first impression of Tralee. Road surface / signage / markings were in good order and there was an absence of litter throughout.

Car Park at Park Place: Grade A. Tralee Town Council signage at car park, indicating parking rate for 30 minutes. This was a pristine looking car park. Not only was it clear of all litter but it was very clean and fresh looking, perhaps a new site.

Pairc an Piarsaig: Grade A. A wonderful amenity with planting, grass area, seating, sculpture etc. in very good condition. Clearly this is a very well respected and cared for public amenity.

Limerick Approach Road: Grade B. There was a scattering of loose food related litter along this road – much of the litter appeared ‘new’ so it may have been due to heavy volumes of traffic on a sunny summer’s day.

Tralee GAA Stadium: Grade A. There was a virtual absence of litter at the entrance and immediate environs. The car park was somewhat untidy looking.

Castle Street Lower: Grade A. There was a very fresh appearance to this busy shopping street. Individual shops were well presented and maintained, the paving was in good order and the ornamental trees were very attractive – all in all this was a top ranking site.

Imperial Hotel: Grade A. The hotel fronts directly on to the street, with an adjoining laneway. The façade was in very good order and planting was a nice feature. There was an absence of litter throughout the area surveyed.

Dingle Approach Road: Grade A This was a very fresh looking route, with the additional feature of planter type boxes along the central median. It was a very tidy site and clear of all litter.

Killarney Approach Road: Grade B. The stretch of road leading up to John Cronin Roundabout was fresh and clean but the more rural aspects of this route were somewhat littered – all manner of food related litter was present e.g. coffee cups, cans, sweet papers etc..

Dunnes Stores: Grade B. Disappointing, given that food retailers sell themselves on the basis of high standards of hygiene. What let this site down was the surrounding wall which was grubby in appearance and harboured litter at the base.

I saw that, good news!
    I was wondering does Castle St. Lower refer to Boherbee too? It mentions trees, and there are no trees in Castle St, they are in Boherbee. The residents in Boherbee do a lot for that street now, they keep it really well and have planted flowers and hanging baskets. Good to see the town getting such good results.

I saw that, good news!
    I was wondering does Castle St. Lower refer to Boherbee too? It mentions trees, and there are no trees in Castle St, they are in Boherbee. The residents in Boherbee do a lot for that street now, they keep it really well and have planted flowers and hanging baskets. Good to see the town getting such good results.
    There was lights on the trees there in the last few weeks or so, what was the reason for that?

While on the subject of dangerous , potentially fatal accidents.

The Mummys of the children attending Spa National school, did not learn much while school was out during July And August.

The road was widened by knocking and rebuilding the school boundary wall and a portion of the Churchill GAA boundary wall, at considerable expense. A new footpath was built to allow pupils walk from a potential drop zone at the entrance to Churchill GAA all the way to the front gate of the school.

Sadly the Mummys' who appear to be the dumbest motorists I have witnessed over the years are still illegally parking, double parking and driving out into oncoming traffic. Absolutely no consideration is given to other road users.

It is only a miracle someone has not been fatally injured at school opening and closing time..

Mummys, Spa National School is as it says on the wall , a school , not a McDonald's drive in!

Perhaps Mummys it is time to return to the Driving Schools for a few lessons while Fiachra and Sneachta are busy in their place of learning:)

I understand the Head Teacher sent a letter to all the parents advising them of the new footpath and asking them not to park on the roadway. Perhaps the Mummys need to go back to school or visit Specsavers!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I saw that, good news!

That clothes shop opposite the rambling house looks great with the flowers over it. Just don't pass it when they are watering them! Yes, I learned this the hard way

• Advertisement

There was lights on the trees there in the last few weeks or so, what was the reason for that?

Its to pìss off the drunk drivers ;)
    They do it at Christmas also. It's just to add a touch of colour to the area, it's inexpensive enough I supppose & it catches the eye

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement