Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

There was lights on the trees there in the last few weeks or so, what was the reason for that?

they were put up for the festival, cos there are no lights put up from the Moyderwell/Castle St. corner and the residents put their own up! They do the same at Christmas. They put some lovely big bows around the trees also. It looked lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Random request!

Any one know where I can get Peking sticky sauce??!!

Ins Kerry region.

Mad request I know, but looking for a friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ashill5

Just wondering were the Traffic Lights below at " The Green " (Tralee CBS) are ever going to be put working as they must be up for six months now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Ashill5 wrote: »
    Just wondering were the Traffic Lights below at " The Green " (Tralee CBS) are ever going to be put working as they must be up for six months now!

If they were working, I'd probably be dead because I keep on forgetting about them until I'm right in the middle of them for some reason (coming from the aquadome side).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

just witnessed a man drive straight through a red light at the JJ Sheehy road junction! He was on his mobile chatting away, oblivious to the fact that his light was red & ours just turned green!!!
    I was going to take down his reg, but he had a small milk trailer on the back with no reg, so I couldn't see it! I had to go to work then, so no way of following him to get it. I know if I rang the Gardai it would be pointless without a reg. Just shows you the lack of brains with a lot of drivers in this town!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 murphy05

Was driving to work during the week, via a country road, Approached a bad bend with an artic truck coming against me, driver drove one handed while on the mobile, nearly went into a ditch. Of course if anything happened the truck driver was shook but uninjured, whereas the car or cyclist would have been another statistic.

Saw another truck driver going up Rock Street last year with a mobile in one hand and a cigarette in another!!

Also the number of people driving into busy junctions and roundabouts while on a mobile is truly frightening, it is a miracle they actually stop in time.

I could go on with many more incidents but I would be writing for the few days.

murphy05 wrote: »
    Was driving to work during the week, via a country road, Approached a bad bend with an artic truck coming against me, driver drove one handed while on the mobile, nearly went into a ditch. Of course if anything happened the truck driver was shook but uninjured, whereas the car or cyclist would have been another statistic.

Saw another truck driver going up Rock Street last year with a mobile in one hand and a cigarette in another!!

Also the number of people driving into busy junctions and roundabouts while on a mobile is truly frightening, it is a miracle they actually stop in time.

I could go on with many more incidents but I would be writing for the few days.

with so few Gardai or traffic corps on the roads these days, it seems like its happening more & more. I can't remember the last time I saw a checkpoint, or anyone being pulled over for that matter. If people don't see any Gardai around, then they will just continue to take such dangerous risks.
    The amount of people I see driving through red lights is unreal!

I'm kind of kicking myself I didn't ring the Gardai anyway and just give a description of the car, but I was driving too & by the time I parked & got to work it would have been too late. I just hope the man gets caught one of these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Hi Tralee folks,

I was in Tralee for the first time in my life last week and had a blast. We are from Galway city and wanted to get a few days away before kids returned to school.

Here are my observations:

The Aqua Dome is so undersold. It is as good a tourist attraction as any. It is good value, well staffed and maintained.

Tralee is well sign-posted unlike other towns most notably Ennis.

We stayed at the Brandon Hotel which was good value although a little, dare I say, dated.

There aren't a lot of restaurants in Tralee for a town of it's size* but what we got was damn good.

*what is the population of Tralee?

I was intrigued by the 2 newsagents across the street from the hotel that were next door to each other. I thought this was quite unusual. Are they bitter rivals or how did that come about?

The fun fair seemed to occupy a lot of valuable parking spaces. It was pricey but it's no dearer than the one in Salthill or Funderland in the RDS.

People in shops were nice. We bought stuff in Shaws and they were very friendly which is surprising when you consider that its is merely a department store. Also, staff in the old fashioned sweet shop on a street corner (I don't remember it's name) were also very patient and efficient.

We also went to Dingle which was awesome...!

There's me few cents on an outsider looking in.

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Hi Tralee folks,

I was in Tralee for the first time in my life last week and had a blast. We are from Galway city and wanted to get a few days away before kids returned to school.

Here are my observations:

The Aqua Dome is so undersold. It is as good a tourist attraction as any. It is good value, well staffed and maintained.

Tralee is well sign-posted unlike other towns most notably Ennis.

We stayed at the Brandon Hotel which was good value although a little, dare I say, dated.

There aren't a lot of restaurants in Tralee for a town of it's size* but what we got was damn good.

*what is the population of Tralee?

I was intrigued by the 2 newsagents across the street from the hotel that were next door to each other. I thought this was quite unusual. Are they bitter rivals or how did that come about?

The fun fair seemed to occupy a lot of valuable parking spaces. It was pricey but it's no dearer than the one in Salthill or Funderland in the RDS.

People in shops were nice. We bought stuff in Shaws and they were very friendly which is surprising when you consider that its is merely a department store. Also, staff in the old fashioned sweet shop on a street corner (I don't remember it's name) were also very patient and efficient.

We also went to Dingle which was awesome...!

There's me few cents on an outsider looking in.

glad to hear you enjoyed Tralee!
    The Brandon Hotel is a bit dated alright, not sure when it was last refurbished to be honest. The two newsagents accross the road have been side by side for many many years! Hussey's (the smaller one) used to be called Moriarty's for a long long time, and changed hands about a year ago. I grew up near that side of town and they were the two shops we always went to growing up. Hussey's (or Moriarty's as I will always know it!) was where I went to get my penny sweets or boiled sweets with my pocket money!
    You are right that the Aqua Dome is undersold, they really do have a great little place there.

The population of Tralee was 23,693 in the 2011 census!

The funfair is only in Tralee once a year, and it stayed a little longer this year before it moved onto Listowel. It was always traditionally in this part of town. There are a few multi-story carparks in town, which I don't think people use enough to be honest. Maybe because they don't realise they are there!

Hope you will return to our town again! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Interesting point about the seeming lack of restaurants. While there are tonnes of cafes - many of them new, a lot of them close at 6 and if you are unfamiliar with the town, you might find yourself searching alright for an evening meal (excluding fast food) after 6pm if you're not in the know. What does the main Bridge Street/The Mall/Castle Street thoroughfare have apart from the Allegro? Allegro is fine but more casual then mid to up market.

Off the top of my head

Finnegans
    StoneHouse
    Cassidys
    Bella Bia
    Il Pomo Doro.
    Tamarind
    Barack Lane restaurant - can't remember name.
    (the various other Indian/Chinese restaurants which may not be everyone's cup of tea).

Are Roast House and Denny Lane now offering evening meals?

None of the town centre pubs seem to be noted for fine dining (eg on a par with Kate Brownes in Ardfert or O'Donnells in Mounthawk). Kirbys upstairs is gone.
    I guess you have the Brandon, Imperial and Grand too. Otherwise it's out to the Spa/Fenit where you have Oyster, Tankard, West End and Spa Seafoods

I guess compared to ultimate tourist towns like Dingle or Killarney. Tralee is lacking a bit in restaurant choice. I don't think there is any destination restaurant in Tralee that people outside would specifically come into town for which is a pity. I'm thinking of the likes of Allo's in Listowel. People all over North Kerry travel to it and it's won numerous awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Parts of south kerry and ring of kerry good spots to visit as well as dingle and castlegregory. The wetlands are a nice place to go in tralee too. Lots to do in kerry!

True its well sign posted in tralee. Regarding restaurants is knowing where to go or word of mouth and whats recommended. Lovely places to eat at the hotels, pubs and restaurants. La scala, daily grind, unos, tex mex cant remember the name and mozarts i'd also recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Agree totally. If we are to reduce the number of accidents on our roads , I guess it is up to the public to alert the Gardai to the behaviour of motorists.

Someone mentioned a dash cam recently, perhaps it would prove an invaluable tool in supporting a complaint to the Gardai.

I am just back from France this pm , it amazed me the courtesy of motorists over there. There is a certain arrogance and aggression in Kerry motorists, many of whom should read the rules of the road imho.;)

doovdela wrote: »
    Parts of south kerry and ring of kerry good spots to visit as well as dingle and castlegregory. The wetlands are a nice place to go in tralee too. Lots to do in kerry!

Yes definiyely Kerry for the Hols. We had Visitors from UK last week, they enjoyed the fine weather, and, beaches in Banna and Fenit, Surfing in Banna Tralee Equestrian Centre, Golf in Dooks, shopping in Tralee and explored Torc Waterfall in Killarney:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

does anyone know the bus times from killarney to tralee a wednesday???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Bus eireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Bus eireann.

The bus times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

They're on the Bus Eireann website.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1214926849-279k.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

• Advertisement

just saw this posted on the Aqua Dome's FB page, really good promo vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-byfundQUk&feature=c4-overview&list=UU3Tai-kPlkEPj5eEYqrif-g

While on the subject of dangerous , potentially fatal accidents.

The Mummys of the children attending Spa National school, did not learn much while school was out during July And August.

The road was widened by knocking and rebuilding the school boundary wall and a portion of the Churchill GAA boundary wall, at considerable expense. A new footpath was built to allow pupils walk from a potential drop zone at the entrance to Churchill GAA all the way to the front gate of the school.

Sadly the Mummys' who appear to be the dumbest motorists I have witnessed over the years are still illegally parking, double parking and driving out into oncoming traffic. Absolutely no consideration is given to other road users.

It is only a miracle someone has not been fatally injured at school opening and closing time..

Mummys, Spa National School is as it says on the wall , a school , not a McDonald's drive in!

Perhaps Mummys it is time to return to the Driving Schools for a few lessons while Fiachra and Sneachta are busy in their place of learning:)

Mummys receive their lines!
    Delighted to see that new road markings including double yellow lines have been strategically placed outside Spa National School. However will the Mummys pay attention or will they need to be reported to the Head Teacher? Time will tell. Hopefully a safer environment should be the outcome for all road users.:D Time to pay attention Mummys:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 xxalexa12h

Just wondering does anyone know what shop will be opening next to the Dealz store that just opened in Tralee? I heard there will be a shop opening there at Christmas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Letting Agents CBRE are still advertising it to let suggesting a tenant hasn't been found yet.

http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/Abbey-Court-Tralee-Co-Kerry/112747/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

xxalexa12h wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know what shop will be opening next to the Dealz store that just opened in Tralee? I heard there will be a shop opening there at Christmas time.

Could be one of those short-term pop-up shops that just cater to a particular event.

costa Coffee works are well under way and there's a sign up saying they are opening soon! :)

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    costa Coffee works are well under way and there's a sign up saying they are opening soon! :)

There's a sign on Benner's Hotel door and all ! :)

There's a sign on Benner's Hotel door and all ! :)

what's that about?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    what's that about?

It's offically listed as an abandoned building now, it's been unoccupied for over a year & it's not being maintained.
    It's on the main thoroughfare & it's become quite an eyesore.

• Advertisement

It's offically listed as an abandoned building now, it's been unoccupied for over a year & it's not being maintained.
    It's on the main thoroughfare & it's become quite an eyesore.

so what happens now? is it owned by Nama?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement