Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    so what happens now? is it owned by Nama?

Has been for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

It is a shame to see prominent buildings like Benners Hotel and the Brogue unoccupied. Hopefully these two buildings will reopen their doors to customers sooner rather than later.

Delighted to read that Costa Coffee is due to open soon. This should help The Mall reach almost full occupancy.

Has there been a noticeable increase in business in town since the opening of the bypass? Prior to the bypass Tralee was a bottleneck and choked with traffic which was off putting to shoppers. I guess with easier access to Town Centre it has to be more attractive for shoppers to spend their time and money in Tralee.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I've literally noticed zero difference since it opened

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Delighted to read that Costa Coffee is due to open soon. This should help The Mall reach almost full occupancy.

And I heard that Paco is considering to move from their current location in Manor West (next to Paraffin and Horans) into the currently renovated store next to CH Chemists (I think bags have sold there at some stage in the past).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Quaderno wrote: »
    And I heard that Paco is considering to move from their current location in Manor West (next to Paraffin and Horans) into the currently renovated store next to CH Chemists (I think bags have sold there at some stage in the past).

That's interesting that a retailer would consider moving from the so called booming Manor to the allegedly struggling town centre. Maybe things aren't so bad after all. Am I correct in saying the only vacant unit on The Mall isnow the old Irish Nationwide premises? Good going!

The next unit I'd love to see filled is the large old Dunnes unit up by Abrakebabra. That street suffers from that unit still being hoarded up.

• Advertisement

Has anyone here bought anything from Paco?

Has anyone here bought anything from Paco?

No:confused:

ongarboy wrote: »
    That's interesting that a retailer would consider moving from the so called booming Manor to the allegedly struggling town centre. Maybe things aren't so bad after all. Am I correct in saying the only vacant unit on The Mall isnow the old Irish Nationwide premises? Good going!

The next unit I'd love to see filled is the large old Dunnes unit up by Abrakebabra. That street suffers from that unit still being hoarded up.

It is quite a large unit. Whyever did Dunnes close it. It must have been giving small Tesco a run for their money?
    Yes it would be nice to see it being open for business again

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Why ever did Dunnes close it.

I think Dunnes reevaluated their business model a few years ago and they abandoned the "metro" style shops.

Incidently Dunnes at NCR is 20 years old this year.

Does anyone shop in Dunnes at Boherbee? The prices are the same, parking is easier but the range is slightly poorer. It allways struck me as odd that both Dunnes were so close to each other.

I remember when the anchor tenant at the Horan centre was Tesco and that was before Tesco bought Quinsworth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I think Dunnes reevaluated their business model a few years ago and they abandoned the "metro" style shops.

Does anyone shop in Dunnes at Boherbee? The prices are the same, parking is easier but the range is slightly poorer. It allways struck me as odd that both Dunnes were so close to each other.

I remember when the anchor tenant at the Horan centre was Tesco and that was before Tesco bought Quinsworth.

I don't do my main shop in the Horan's centre Dunnes, I do that in NCR, but I do go there for any bits I've forgotten or need during the week. I do agree though that the range isn't as good. Is it true they have a really really long lease & can't leave for a LONG time?

• Advertisement

Wow! 20 years? The building, both internally and externally are very fresh looking. Sadly the unit in Horan Centre is grim to say the least.
    Rarely visit either unit, Mrs Del shops online Tesco.

Ah! But do you remember who the anchor tenants were before tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Ah! But do you remember who the anchor tenants were before tesco?

H Williams? IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

There's a sign on Benner's Hotel door and all ! :)

Speak of the devil - I read recently that the Cork FG TD that was involved in 'Lapgate' Aine Collins has some involvement in the ownership of Benners.

The Horan's centre Dunnes is a gift if you want to get in and out without any hassle. Shedloads of parking (except on a matchday next door) and no hassle with ticketing or barriers. I use it all the time and I do not find the range that much different from North Circular and it is so easy to navigate and shop in comfort without trolley's continually tailgating my ass.

PS 'H Williams' were the original tenant in the Horan Centre. I was told recently that Dunnes bought the Horan Centre Unit in the last couple of years so they are not going anywhere soon.

Dunne's in the Horan centre is not owned by the company. It is on a long sub lease. They even have to pay extra for the carpark as it wasn't part of the lease :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Quaderno wrote: »

Paco is coming into town, but not into that shop, its going into the old Irish Nationwide unit! Still don't know what's going into the unit that is being refurbished at the moment.

Paco is coming into town, but not into that shop, its going into the old Irish Nationwide unit! Still don't know what's going into the unit that is being refurbished at the moment.

That's well possible - and even better, because it means that both empty units will probably be occupied shortly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Whats going on in the building next to Teach Beag?

I was walking past today and there were a few builders inside, had a quick look and saw a little counter inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

kn wrote: »
    PS 'H Williams' were the original tenant in the Horan Centre.

Thanks, thats interesting, I had no recollection of them. I thought it was a company owned by a guy called Albert Gubay called "3 guys" but maybe I dreamed that bit!

I remember H Williams in Cork though!

unkymo wrote: »
    Whats going on in the building next to Teach Beag?

I was walking past today and there were a few builders inside, had a quick look and saw a little counter inside.

that's what we were talking about above! no one seems to know what is going in there yet!

traleespud wrote: »

Interesting indeed, thanks for sharing. Although I agree in principle with most points (mentioning the Jeannie Johnston a as a reason to retire in Tralee may be a bit over the top) I also think that a certain degree of disappointment will be inevitable when comparing what has been written with real life. But then again, most of what is listed in the article are things that influenced my own decision to pick Tralee over every town in Ireland and pretty much all of Europe. And I never looked back.

that's what we were talking about above! no one seems to know what is going in there yet!

I've heard its a new venture for an existing business in tralee, a clothing store, but it's an unsubstantiated rumor only

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Is that the store that used to be Ryle & Nolan or the Bag shop after that?

ongarboy wrote: »
    Is that the store that used to be Ryle & Nolan or the Bag shop after that?

Yes! Jesus wept, will ye keep up! ;)

Yes! Jesus wept, will ye keep up! ;)

:confused:

:confused:

Tis a joke, there's been pages of discussion about the new shop, trying to guess what it's going to be & then, every so often, someone pops up & asks is that the (1) empty shop (2) ex bag shop (3) ex Ryle & Nolans shop (4) shop beside an teach beag
    Can somebody take a pic of it tomorrow and we can sticky it on the Kerry forum! :)

On Radio Kerry news this morning it said that Quinlans have applied to the Town Council for planning permission to convert Mickos into a cafe. I assume its going to be a sit-down fish and chipper as well. Kind of the wheel gone back full circle back to an Allegro's of sorts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

kn wrote: »
    On Radio Kerry news this morning it said that Quinlans have applied to the Town Council for planning permission to convert Mickos into a cafe. I assume its going to be a sit-down fish and chipper as well. Kind of the wheel gone back full circle back to an Allegro's of sorts!

The existing one will probably just be a fish shop then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement