Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I think Turners are going to go more into selling Craft beers. I definitely think bars should do it. There's a good few bars in Dublin & Cork doing it now and it is very popular. They do beer menu's with their descriptions etc. There is definitely a niche for it here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    that notice seems to have been removed, couldn't see it there today when I passed!

Missed this post, sorry.
    I would assume since that street has a high footfall of school kids etc, somebody whipped it off the door. It is an offence to remove the sign, probably made it more tempting for the person doing it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

xxyyzz wrote: »
    You're right, I haven't :D

Now that you mention it, franchise pubs wouldn't appeal to me much anyway. I just checked Weatherspoons beer menu and it is pretty limited to say the least.

Out of interest, which bars in town are making an effort? Are they selling actual craft beers or a couple of bottles of out of date Erdinger in the fridge?

Admittedly I haven't been out in Tralee in a bit! Living in Cork at the moment, where I'm spoilt for choice in the craft beer department. But a good few bars are improving their selection. Some do have a few more choices than the Heineken and Diageo stuff anyway which is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cadea

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Out of interest, which bars in town are making an effort? Are they selling actual craft beers or a couple of bottles of out of date Erdinger in the fridge?

I don't get to venture out too much these days, but The Osborne and Baileys have a good range of bottled beer, with the Oz having things like Paulaner, Fischer's Hell and Staropramen(I think, might be Pilsner Urquell) on draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 anvilmas

11811 wrote: »
    I take it you've never drank in a Wetherspoons? Depressing, soulless places... And the cheap booze attracts the barflys. More to a pub than the range of beer IMO.
    Granted, pubs in town could go a bit further in embracing the craft beer trend and improve their selection, but i think its slowly improving.

Agree 100%. Have been in one in the the UK, nothing wrong with it as such, but nothing right with it either. No atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

anvilmas wrote: »
    Agree 100%. Have been in one in the the UK, nothing wrong with it as such, but nothing right with it either. No atmosphere.

Wetherspoons are not 'locals' and never pretended to be. They are generally located in town/city centres where there is also a food demand for lunches/breakfast etc. They open around 8am serving a decent cooked breakfast for about £4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Not sure Wetherspoons will add much to the local scene, apart from adding a few additional drink lines.

Yes I have been in Wetherspoon operations in the UK, I really don't understand what all the excitement is about.

Surely there are enough locally owned bar restaurants in Tralee , all of whom have their own individual character, without bringing in a Wetherspoon!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Think people want them to come in the hope of them having cheap drink and promotions etc.

siblers wrote: »
    Think people want them to come in the hope of them having cheap drink and promotions etc.

People = Students ;)

People = Students ;)

I guess students have a higher percentage of savings/disposable income to spend on cheap booze. Though I thought there was enough cheap plonk and gut rot available in Aldi and Lidl for them to get their kicks.

Perhaps I am out of touch , maybe they are looking for some place upmarket eg. Wetherspoons. Ahem!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

Not sure Wetherspoons will add much to the local scene, apart from adding a few additional drink lines.

Yes I have been in Wetherspoon operations in the UK, I really don't understand what all the excitement is about.

Surely there are enough locally owned bar restaurants in Tralee , all of whom have their own individual character, without bringing in a Wetherspoon!:)

Regardless of the type of beer they serve, whether it be craft beer or typical Budweiser/Heineken etc, a large pub occupying yet another vacant premises in Tralee town centre would be a welcome addition in my opinion.

In the midst of a crippling recession, beggars can't be choosers and Tralee could definitely do with employment for a good 10 - 15 possible part time and full time staff.

Bring in every chain from every angle you can think of as far as I'm concerned! KFC, Costa Coffee, Dealz etc etc!!!!!

We're back!!!

Carraig95 wrote: »
    Regardless of the type of beer they serve, whether it be craft beer or typical Budweiser/Heineken etc, a large pub occupying yet another vacant premises in Tralee town centre would be a welcome addition in my opinion.

In the midst of a crippling recession, beggars can't be choosers and Tralee could definitely do with employment for a good 10 - 15 possible part time and full time staff.

Bring in every chain from every angle you can think of as far as I'm concerned! KFC, Costa Coffee, Dealz etc etc!!!!!

We're back!!!

Yes, some valid points there.

However the arrival Wetherspoons may add 10/15 new jobs, however how many more pubs who are hanging on precariously ,will close as a result.

Please don't misunderstand me here, I am all in favour of bringing in chains to provide necessary jobs.

It is all a juggling act!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

However the arrival Wetherspoons may add 10/15 new jobs, however how many more pubs who are hanging on precariously ,will close as a result.

Please don't misunderstand me here, I am all in favour of bringing in chains to provide necessary jobs.

I won't mourn the loss of any pubs that close because they refuse to drop there prices in line with the current recession. The publicans were fleecing us long enough during the fianna fail con that was the 'celtic tiger'.

Every business has had to adapt to survive. What do the kerry publicans do in reply to this,They ask the people of the county to bring there teenage kids to the pub, and look for a permit to let people drive drunk. And of course look for minimum pricing in off licences.

It seems the publicans want everyone to adapt to suit them, everything bar having to drop there own profit margin.

Let's hope the english chain comes in and really shakes up the pricing structure in the county!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Carraig95 wrote: »

We're back!!!

KFC yes,noting worse then looking at their ads on TV and not having one near enough to go to for grub.

I won't mourn the loss of any pubs that close because they refuse to drop there prices in line with the current recession. The publicans were fleecing us long enough during the fianna fail con that was the 'celtic tiger'.

Every business has had to adapt to survive. What do the kerry publicans do in reply to this,They ask the people of the county to bring there teenage kids to the pub, and look for a permit to let people drive drunk. And of course look for minimum pricing in off licences.

It seems the publicans want everyone to adapt to suit them, everything bar having to drop there own profit margin.

Let's hope the english chain comes in and really shakes up the pricing structure in the county!

Interesting points also Michael.

I guess there is nothing like a bit of competition to bring the prices down:)

KFC yes,noting worse then looking at their ads on TV and not having one near enough to go to for grub.

Keep an eye on Rocky Mountain ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I say that all the time when I see their ads! they are very frustrating! lol

If Wetherspoons puts a couple of what are in any case unsustainable pubs out of business then its not like its a loss. One of the reasons why we have had a historically high number of pubs is because they used to earn what are termed 'super normal' profits because of the licences, as evidenced by the prices the licence alone was trading at in the good times i.e. ferocious over-pricing because of the barriers to entry because of the up-front costs including the licence.

Now that the profitability in the trade has collapsed, again as evidenced by the licences now trading for a few thousand compared to circa 100k at peak, there is going to need to be a clearing out of the industry so that the fittest survive. So I am not going to be crying any crocodile tears for those publicans who for decades engaged in price fixing locally (prior to the Competition Act Tralee Vinters, as with everywhere else, met regularly to fix prices) and earned supernormal profits as a result.

Hillbilly's are in effect Tralee's KFC subsitute. Their 2 for 1 Snackbox offer on Tuesdays is very popular with me! :p

kn wrote: »
    Hillbilly's are in effect Tralee's KFC subsitute. Their 2 for 1 Snackbox offer on Tuesdays is very popular with me! :p

I'm not sure, but I think they are a reincarnation of Pat Grace's chain, he used to call himself PG-KFC & got into trouble I think over that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

.. reincarnation of Pat Grace's chain, he used to call himself PG-KFC & got into trouble I think over that

Yes, I think you may be correct in that. Hilbillys in mcCurtinn st in Cork used to be PG-KFC many years ago.

I like their chicken but I dont like their chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Saw this lovely technicolour photo of Tralee from the 1960s online today. The Mall looked well then!

ongarboy wrote: »
    Saw this lovely technicolour photo of Tralee from the 1960s online today. The Mall looked well then!

You can still buy that postcard in town during the summer

If Wetherspoons puts a couple of what are in any case unsustainable pubs out of business then its not like its a loss. One of the reasons why we have had a historically high number of pubs is because they used to earn what are termed 'super normal' profits because of the licences, as evidenced by the prices the licence alone was trading at in the good times i.e. ferocious over-pricing because of the barriers to entry because of the up-front costs including the licence.

Now that the profitability in the trade has collapsed, again as evidenced by the licences now trading for a few thousand compared to circa 100k at peak, there is going to need to be a clearing out of the industry so that the fittest survive. So I am not going to be crying any crocodile tears for those publicans who for decades engaged in price fixing locally (prior to the Competition Act Tralee Vinters, as with everywhere else, met regularly to fix prices) and earned supernormal profits as a result.

Fair comment KN.

How long ago was the Competition Authority and Competition Act formed?

Were there any prosecutions ?

Why did the consumers support them?

Surely the consumers had the option to buy from their local offy as they do now?

I stress I am not a big pub fan , but yes over the years I have had drinks in a bar with clients.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens when Wetherspoon arrives.:)

Fair comment KN.

How long ago was the Competition Authority and Competition Act formed?

I think its 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

ongarboy wrote: »

That's a John Hinde postcard. That picture is taken from a book of his work hat I bought recently of old postcards from around Ireland from the same era.

Are Eddie Rocket's coming to Tralee?

I think its 1995.

Wow! Time flies. Were any publicans in Tralee prosecuted in almost 20 years for price fixing ?
    Personally I am not aware of any. Perhaps someone can enlighten us.

I guess the pub scene has changed dramatically in this time. Firstly there was the smoking ban which made pubs a more pleasant place to visit, and then many pubs diversified into providing good food at lunchtime as an alternative to the horrid toasted sandwich in plastic packaging.

Are Eddie Rocket's coming to Tralee?

No, I dont believe so.
    But Boots are moving across from their current store into the empty unit beside Dealz, won't be for another 7 or 8 weeks though

• Advertisement

No, I dont believe so.
    But Boots are moving across from their current store into the empty unit beside Dealz, won't be for another 7 or 8 weeks though

that's good!
    That unit beside Eason's (old Ryle & Nolans) has an opticians going in apparently! Work has started in where Paco is going (old Irish nationwide unit).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement