Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

missjm wrote: »
    Where's a decent place to have a lazy lunch in Tralee or surrounding areas these days?
    Somewhere with easy enough parking etc. And preferably free parking or at least free parking nearby.

Ballyseedy garden centre
    Manor West Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

pickled101 wrote: »
    Ballyseedy garden centre
    Manor West Hotel

Streat is nice and cheap with free coffee refills!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Where's a decent place to have a lazy lunch in Tralee or surrounding areas these days?
    Somewhere with easy enough parking etc. And preferably free parking or at least free parking nearby.

O Donnells wins hands down for me

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭missjm

That's the place over Mounthawk? Perhaps it's bad luck but anytime I've been there in the past it's been atrocious. After the last time when the coffee was cold and like tar, I just gave up. I've never had to hand back coffee before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Quinlan's fish and chips gets my seal of approval - a bit pricey but tasty

Shame about all the wino's/drunks hanging around that part of town though. It looks very bad especially so early in the evening (circa 7.30pm)

lol - I was there at the same time yesterday for my first visit too - I was also really impressed. The very friendly server recommended the hake and it was perfect - batter golden and crispy and lovely chips too with just the right accompaniment of tartar sauce and lemon wedge. Tbh, I didn't notice any undesirables hanging around though. There was a bit of a buzz around the bars in the Square due to Arthur's day!

PS - anyone looking for a yum breakfast - try the San Francisco Special in The Daily Grind for 4.95 - highly recommended!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Had the best steak of my life in O'Donnells at a work christmas party, could not fault the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

That's the place over Mounthawk? Perhaps it's bad luck but anytime I've been there in the past it's been atrocious. After the last time when the coffee was cold and like tar, I just gave up. I've never had to hand back coffee before.

The trick in these types of places is to order an americano and you'll get it straight from the machine piping hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

O'Donnell's, or Ballygarry House Hotel. Ballygarry has the lovely gardens, plenty of parking and very nice staff. As well as lovely food. I would never have considered there for lunch or dinner until a friend who was getting married there converted me to their Spa, restaurant, and ridiculously friendly staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Spa Seafood Restaurant, Spa on road to Fenit! Yummy!;)

Rather surprised at your experience in O'Donnells, imho probably the best bar/restaurant in Tralee. I often eat there and absolutely never had any issue. Tbh the owners run a very good business, perhaps you would give them a further try ? If you are disappointed please talk to David or Garry

By the way I had supper in The West End, Fenit this pm . Absolutely delicious.
    Catch of the day, chips, mushy peas, salad, lemon and tartar sauce €9.95
    My wife had crabmeat fish cakes with the above trimmings also €9.95
    Absolutely delicious, prepared by award winning chef/ owner ,and served in the cosy bar.
    Friendly atmosphere, even got to see the Rugby on the box.:)

Gets my seal of approval:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Abrakebabra, great food, friendly family atmosphere & if you pm me, I can get you the best table in the house as I know the maitre d ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Yeah have to agree with missjm, pasta sauce was like water, the "Bacon" in my carbonara was in fact sun dried tomatoes?? which was not even an ingredient in the food I ordered, and their sandwiches are quite shocking.

As for the bar itself been there a few times, news years, christenings etc and have had great night outs up there.

Abrakebabra, great food, friendly family atmosphere & if you pm me, I can get you the best table in the house as I know the maitre d ;)

Never eaten there...................tbf I have never been in an Abrakebabra anywhere. :confused:

Never eaten there...................tbf I have never been in an Abrakebabra anywhere. :confused:

Del, you have no idea what you're missing. I had a wonderful meal there recently, it was shavings of lamb shank, resting in a warmed unleavened bread nestling in a bed of shredded vegetables & a drizzle of a wonderful garlic jus. Michelin stars are surely on the way.

Yeah have to agree with missjm, pasta sauce was like water, the "Bacon" in my carbonara was in fact sun dried tomatoes?? which was not even an ingredient in the food I ordered, and their sandwiches are quite shocking.

As for the bar itself been there a few times, news years, christenings etc and have had great night outs up there.

Did you talk to the owners about the food? I am not defending poor food or service, on the contrary I can accept mistakes or shortcomings may happen.
    However I feel it is worth having a quiet chat with the lads. They really try very hard to do things right.

Anyway I am looking forward to my fry up in O'Donnells tomorrow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Del, you have no idea what you're missing. I had a wonderful meal there recently, it was shavings of lamb shank, resting in a warmed unleavened bread nestling in a bed of shredded vegetables & a drizzle of a wonderful garlic jus. Michelin stars are surely on the way.

Are you sure this is the same Abrakebabra? :P

Mmmmmm, sounds scrumptious! What about the wine Monsieur Juneau?;)

Pity about the parking though!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I like the new place down by the Abbey, Yummy I think.

Its child friendly.
    After the last time when the coffee was cold and like tar, I just gave up. I've never had to hand back coffee before.

Yes their coffee is just terrible and has been for many years. The food and service however varies from good to very good.

Whats the meds like these days? I havent been up there since the recession hit.

Did you talk to the owners about the food? I am not defending poor food or service, on the contrary I can accept mistakes or shortcomings may happen.
    However I feel it is worth having a quiet chat with the lads. They really try very hard to do things right.

Anyway I am looking forward to my fry up in O'Donnells tomorrow:D

I did, and it came back just as watery with clearly old bacon, but being Irish I just ate the thing. I have been there a few times for a light bite and there is no excuse for making a bad toasty, you can't really mess that up, well so I thought.

Now be fair it has been a while since I ate up their so maybe it has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

With regards to O'Donnells, I've been going there on and off for the last few years as I live close by. Basically, it's hit or miss. Was there last weekend with herself and after a day on the beach we wanted a decent early bird in comfortable surroundings with parking etc and that's exactly what we got.

I had a bacon and crouton salad thing, and it was clear it was a hape of rashers fried and chopped up and thrown on another hape of salad. But, it was nice. Her soup was soup. Mains I had a lovely Sunday roast and she had a standardly impressive chicken vol au vont. Generic, but tasty.

Bailey's cheese cake shared for desert which was awesome. Plus a tea and a coffee. And a coke. Came to €38 which was good in fairness. I gave them €39. Because I'm flush like Del.

I've been there other times and like another poster I had pasta which was horrific.

But from my most recent experience, I'll be back.

Still though, may I say, had two coffee's today in The Roast House and have had meetings outside the couty bounds recently and can honestly say I've not tasted anything close. So well done to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Hi, where are you based and do you have transport? AHAR (Animal Heaven Animal Rescue) is outside Killarney and always looking for volunteers. Suzanne Gibbons would, I think, provide invaluable work experience.

Are you doing the Veterinary Assistant course in Tralee Community College? I know they put huge emphasis on the work experience module.

Wish you all the best in securing a post.

Carraig95 wrote: »
    With regards to O'Donnells, I've been going there on and off for the last few years as I live close by. Basically, it's hit or miss. Was there last weekend with herself and after a day on the beach we wanted a decent early bird in comfortable surroundings with parking etc and that's exactly what we got.

I had a bacon and crouton salad thing, and it was clear it was a hape of rashers fried and chopped up and thrown on another hape of salad. But, it was nice. Her soup was soup. Mains I had a lovely Sunday roast and she had a standardly impressive chicken vol au vont. Generic, but tasty.

Bailey's cheese cake shared for desert which was awesome. Plus a tea and a coffee. And a coke. Came to €38 which was good in fairness. I gave them €39. Because I'm flush like Del.

I've been there other times and like another poster I had pasta which was horrific.

But from my most recent experience, I'll be back.

Still though, may I say, had two coffee's today in The Roast House and have had meetings outside the couty bounds recently and can honestly say I've not tasted anything close. So well done to them.

Sounds like pasta based dishes should be discontinued ?:)

Has anyone else heard about the person dressing up as a clown from Stephen King's novel 'It' walking around Tralee? I heard there was a guy in the UK doing same. Apparently he's been seen in a few spots around town in the last few nights holding a helium filled balloon and pointing at random people. Mate of mine just text me saying he drove by him on the Oakpark Road.

Creepy.

Ok, I just got spoofed.

And with that, I bid you adieu!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Indeed, and such delightful fare is all the more appetising in the later evening after the consumption of a few alcoholic beverages in the fine public houses we have in our town.

Indeed, and such delightful fare is all the more appetising in the later evening after the consumption of a few alcoholic beverages in the fine public houses we have in our town.

My god!! your becoming Del............:)

Has anyone else heard about the person dressing up as a clown from Stephen King's novel 'It' walking around Tralee? I heard there was a guy in the UK doing same. Apparently he's been seen in a few spots around town in the last few nights holding a helium filled balloon and pointing at random people. Mate of mine just text me saying he drove by him on the Oakpark Road.

Creepy.

I wondered where Sully had got to!

I wondered where Sully had got to!

Sully does not need to dress up!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

My god!! your becoming Del............:)

Not yet. I've never owned a Jag. Neither am I a fan of seafood. Or Golf.
    So your safe enough, there can only be one Del.

• Advertisement

Where is the Roast House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement