Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 kerryview

Tipsy7 wrote: »
    I have lived in Tralee for a large part of my life I'm in my mid twenties now and I have to say it is the most horrible, depressing, backward town I have ever seen. It is like the town that society has forgotten and I don't blame them. If anyone asks me about it I recommend avoiding it like the plague. I would direct them to nearly any other part of Kerry.:(
    Dear oh dear. If the town is so depressing who don't you, as a mid-twenties person, just leave? I can suggest many depressing towns - specially in the midlands if you want to live there. I recommend that you get out of bed and actually visit the town of Tralee - it has and is changing all around you. Of course you may prefer to live with your belief that you are the only interesting person in the village.
    thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

more I think about it the weekend should start thursday!!
    taking advantage of the wine offers in tesco!:pac:

That's the best idea I've heard all week.:D
    Best wine in town, in my opinion is in Wine buff now across from Dunne's. Good quality, reasonably priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tipsy7

kerryview wrote: »
    Dear oh dear. If the town is so depressing who don't you, as a mid-twenties person, just leave? I can suggest many depressing towns - specially in the midlands if you want to live there. I recommend that you get out of bed and actually visit the town of Tralee - it has and is changing all around you. Of course you may prefer to live with your belief that you are the only interesting person in the village.
    thank you.

I think I should clarify a few points. I am not a Dub and I am not a posh Kerry person (though I would love to know how u would define such a person!), by culchies I mean the people from the surrounding villages who land into town every saturday nite and make a bad situation worse.
    I do not spend my day in bed, I am in the Town of Tralee at least once or twice a day. I have left Tralee and lived abroad and in many parts of Ireland, I am merely here for a few months due to circumstances outside my control. I intend to leave again as soon as I can but as long as I have family and friends here I have to return. I accept there are indeed many other depressing towns in the country but from what I've seen and heard Tralee is really up there in the top 5. Also a final point I've never in any of my posts claimed to be the most interesting person in the town, if thats your opinion then fine.
    I merely brought up this issue because reading the other posts I didn't feel they represent the Tralee I see around me everyday. Thanks:rolleyes:

I think I should clarify a few points. I am not a Dub and I am not a posh Kerry person (though I would love to know how u would define such a person!), by culchies I mean the people from the surrounding villages who land into town every saturday nite and make a bad situation worse.
    Also a final point I've never in any of my posts claimed to be the most interesting person in the town, if thats your opinion then fine.
    :rolleyes:
    So you are neither a Dub nor a posh Kerry person, and yet you despise culchies. Interesting way of looking at the world. And what do you think Tralee townies are called when they land into Dublin or Cork?
    Tralee is not the dump you think it........it's like the parson's egg, some bits good , some not so good, but at least it is changing. Maybe you should get out more. thank you.

kerryview wrote: »
    So you are neither a Dub nor a posh Kerry person, and yet you despise culchies. Interesting way of looking at the world. And what do you think Tralee townies are called when they land into Dublin or Cork?
    Tralee is not the dump you think it........it's like the parson's egg, some bits good , some not so good, but at least it is changing. Maybe you should get out more. thank you.

I did not use the word despise, I have good friends who would class themselves as culchies. What I am saying is a certain precentage of the people who come in to Tralee town from surrounding areas of a Saturday nite can be very annoying. But also many of the people who are from the town can be annoying. Has there every been a saturday nite without a fight outside Fabric. As I previously stated I am in Tralee almost everyday so I really can't see how much more I can get out, but I'm open to any suggestions of course. In what amazing ways is Tralee changing? Some ugly buildings have been thrown up and we have a better shops that's it. The one good thing about Tralee is the natural scenery and that has remained constant.
    I am not the only person who is blinded to the sheer brilliance that is Tralee, you may recall the review it recieved in the Lonely Planet Guide, I think it summed the place up nicely.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

I did not use the word despise, I have good friends who would class themselves as culchies. What I am saying is a certain precentage of the people who come in to Tralee town from surrounding areas of a Saturday nite can be very annoying. But also many of the people who are from the town can be annoying. Has there every been a saturday nite without a fight outside Fabric. As I previously stated I am in Tralee almost everyday so I really can't see how much more I can get out, but I'm open to any suggestions of course. In what amazing ways is Tralee changing? Some ugly buildings have been thrown up and we have a better shops that's it. The one good thing about Tralee is the natural scenery and that has remained constant.
    I am not the only person who is blinded to the sheer brilliance that is Tralee, you may recall the review it recieved in the Lonely Planet Guide, I think it summed the place up nicely.:rolleyes:

In fairness Tralee is not really the place for someone well educated and in there mid 20's to be living in. I kind of understand your feelings on the place to be honest. It is however a great place for raising families and so on.
    I would advise you to get out and see a bit of the world. You might feel completely different about the place in 10 years time

Tomthepost wrote: »
    In fairness Tralee is not really the place for someone well educated and in there mid 20's to be living in. I kind of understand your feelings on the place to be honest. It is however a great place for raising families and so on.
    I would advise you to get out and see a bit of the world. You might feel completely different about the place in 10 years time

I appreciate what your saying, I do intend to leave again in the near future.
    As for being a great place for raising famillies I'm not sure, I have younger siblings and they can't walk into to town, go to the cinema on their own like I used to, there have been many occasions reccently where their friends have been set on by random groups for no reason. They just don't feel safe.
    Tralee has the potential to be a nice town it has the perfect location and relativly good ammenities that's what makes it so sad that it has turned out the way it has and as for seeing the place differently in 10 years if it continues they way it's going it can only get worse. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

I appreciate what your saying, I do intend to leave again in the near future.
    As for being a great place for raising famillies I'm not sure, I have younger siblings and they can't walk into to town, go to the cinema on their own like I used to, there have been many occasions reccently where their friends have been set on by random groups for no reason. They just don't feel safe.
    Tralee has the potential to be a nice town it has the perfect location and relativly good ammenities that's what makes it so sad that it has turned out the way it has and as for seeing the place differently in 10 years if it continues they way it's going it can only get worse. :(

God I only moved here a few years ago was I nuts????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Well i think that tralee is ok, not great and not really bad either, but while the town is getting better with its immenities(sp?) the place is becoming more dangerous every day. When i was up in limerick i felt safer than i did in tralee, by around 10 fold. When i used to have long hair everyday i was pestered and not just by pavees either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

No town,city or country is perfect.
    As for people,well,there will always be a percentage of arseholes at any social gathering.
    When I go out in Tralee,I go to places that I know that I will like/have a lower percentage of (what i consider) arseholes.
    Make the best of it,people!

• Advertisement

It probably wasn't your best move but you can always get out. You have no family ties to the place. Like the other poster said it really isn't a place for young people or people with a low tolerance of skobes.:)

gerocks wrote: »
    No town,city or country is perfect.
    As for people,well,there will always be a percentage of arseholes at any social gathering.
    When I go out in Tralee,I go to places that I know that I will like/have a lower percentage of (what i consider) arseholes.
    Make the best of it,people!

It's fine to avoid places that they are in at but by day they are all over the streets, in every shop, resturant. Compared to other towns it has a far higher precentage I know many people from outside who have said this after visiting the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Tomthepost wrote: »
    In fairness Tralee is not really the place for someone well educated and in there mid 20's to be living in.

Now, I have to come back on that one - that, again, like all the other statements, is entirely subjective. I have spent 8 years in University, (degree, masters + PhD research), am well eduacated, in my mid 20s, and have no complaints about Tralee. I came home a few months ago and Im enjoying it here. I go away to visit friends at the weekends and I can tell you that Tralee is a lot better than a lot of the places I have been out in. Most recently I was out in Kilkenny, and I can tell you I was genuinely scared. By the end of the night I really felt afraid to be walking the streets there, and I can hand on heart say I have never felt that way in Tralee.

I'm not saying it is the best place in the world, but it is far from the worst. It has its good point for some people, and those reasons might not suit everyone, but please do not come in a generalise about the happiness of the people who live here, its rather insulting to be perfectly honest.

"please do not come in a generalise about the happiness of the people who live here, its rather insulting to be perfectly honest.[/quote]"

I really don't think that any poster has generalised about the happiness of people who live in Tralee. If I have please show me where I have done this.
    Tom merely said in his opinion that for a well educated person in their mid twenties Tralee isn't the place to be and I have to agree with him. There is nothing here that I can see for people my age group though I can't really see what is here for anyone to be honest. For those wishing to start a carrer the options are severly limited.
    Out of all the people from my class at school less than 10% are still living here because there are very few oppertunties, the social life is appaling. I have been out in most cities in this country including Kilkenny and I would find Tralee far more scary as it is full of skobes just looking for a fight with anybody. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

440Hz wrote: »
    I'm not saying it is the best place in the world, but it is far from the worst. It has its good point for some people, and those reasons might not suit everyone, but please do not come in a generalise about the happiness of the people who live here, its rather insulting to be perfectly honest.
    +1

Did I direct that comment directly at you Tipsy7?

As the mod of this forum I am not going to enter into a heated discussion about this topic, although it's tempting. Your opinion is your opinion and you are entitled to it - all I am saying it that you are not necessarily right, neither am I - just because you don't like Tralee, or find that it has nothing for you, doesn't mean it's the town that is at fault.

Posters here have worked hard to make this into a nice community thread, the majority of people posting in this thread have some pride in their town, or at least like it enough to have made it their home. You don't have to agree with them/us, but neither do you have to come along and put the place down in every post.

Now, I have to come back on that one - that, again, like all the other statements, is entirely subjective. I have spent 8 years in University, (degree, masters + PhD research), am well eduacated, in my mid 20s, and have no complaints about Tralee. I came home a few months ago and Im enjoying it here. I go away to visit friends at the weekends and I can tell you that Tralee is a lot better than a lot of the places I have been out in. Most recently I was out in Kilkenny, and I can tell you I was genuinely scared. By the end of the night I really felt afraid to be walking the streets there, and I can hand on heart say I have never felt that way in Tralee.

+ 1

I have made several attempts to reply to the last few posts, but I'm so annoyed, I could not make sense, (any chance of multi quotes on multi posts ?).
    Born, (29 years ago), reared and educated in Tralee. Graduated in UCD. Travelled and worked in most EU countries.
    I am back in Tralee (Monavalley area) now for the last few years, with hubby and two children, and find the town excellent.

Not at all Siobhan, it is a good town.
    Any problems - post back here.

dh0661 wrote: »
    any chance of multi quotes on multi posts ?

Best you can do is the multi-quote button, the third one below, right of the quote button, which will quote multiple posts but only the entire post, which you must then edit

Picture+1.png

Hope that helps! :)

Did I direct that comment directly at you Tipsy7?

As the mod of this forum I am not going to enter into a heated discussion about this topic, although it's tempting. Your opinion is your opinion and you are entitled to it - all I am saying it that you are not necessarily right, neither am I - just because you don't like Tralee, or find that it has nothing for you, doesn't mean it's the town that is at fault.

Posters here have worked hard to make this into a nice community thread, the majority of people posting in this thread have some pride in their town, or at least like it enough to have made it their home. You don't have to agree with them/us, but neither do you have to come along and put the place down in every post.

I never once stated that I felt I was right, as you pointed out it is just my opinion. I apologise if I have upset the niceness of this thread it wasn't my intention. I simply wanted to see a more rounded and realistic dicussion about Tralee. Clearly I've hit a nerve as people seem to be taking it quite personally again I apologise.
    You are indeed corecct I have zero pride in this town because I see nothing to be proud of. Industries are closing, places such as m&s which offer jobs are being turned away due to small minded people, young children and the elderly are in fear of being attacked on the streets or in their homes, every weekend there is violence on the streets (fights, stabings & assualts). So please forgive me for my lack of pride.:(

• Advertisement

Agreed that the marks and sparks thing was a disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yea, a major one. Booerns to tralee town councill.

Clearly I've hit a nerve as people seem to be taking it quite personally again I apologise.
    My dear tipsy, you quite miss the point. If you wish to start a new thread called "Slag Tralee" then by all means do it. And, when you move to your wonderful new life in your wonderful new cosmopolitan city, please feel free to slag off that community too. All towns, cities, villages have good and bad. Deal with it, become part of the solution, not the problem. And what are we to make of your derogatory "skobes" and "small minded" people?
    This is my last reply on this topic. Tralee is lucky to have both bus and train leaving the town daily.

And what are we to make of your derogatory "skobes" and "small minded" people?

I think the word "skobes" is pretty self explanatory to be honest and as for "small minded people" I was referring to cetan memebers of the town council that turned away a wonderful opportuinty for the town. I hope that clears it up for you.

I have no wish or inclination to set up a thread, I just presumed since this thread was for the purpose of dicussing Tralee it would allow both sides of the discussion. Maybe I have mistaken the nature of process.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭okshea

Imo tralee is a great place to live,I wont harp on with all the reasons,but at the same time it has problems as does all cities/towns/villages/hamlets and individuals in the world,guess thats the way him or indeed her up there in the clouds designed us!.Ive lived in a few places round Ireland and different countries and I find that people living in western countries(im gunna give people in Baghdad etc a bye as they have quite solid grounds for compaint!) who complain constantly about where they live (I have encountered people like this in such cosmopolitian jewels as Sydney/Miami etc) generally would just seem to have it in their make-up to be consistantly down about where they live whether thats N.Y. or Tralee.Unfortunately this inclination for complaint(generally) isnt accompanied by any desire whatsoever to help to change things.I certainly have oft complained about things in my tralee but also see a lot of positives.I supose its that old chinese concept of ying/yang you need a balance and I feel sorry for people who take an overly negative view all the time,and indeed also overly positive as that can be quite ball busting as well!!.To bring this rambling rant to an end!! I think it is quite small-minded to think Tralee is that bad,I have met plenty of people from other towns in Ireland who seem to think there is the worst.Turn that frown about your town........upside down!!!!!;)

(Apologies bout the tendency to ramble on in post have half an eye on pool_V_fulham game!!):D

Ah will ye give over. I am supposed to go to town tonight to meet a friend for a Chinese (Sunshine Palace. Anybody been there?) and ye're making me afraid to go. Its yonks since I've been to town at night and I'm ONLY 42.

Ah will ye give over. I am supposed to go to town tonight to meet a friend for a Chinese (Sunshine Palace. Anybody been there?) and ye're making me afraid to go. Its yonks since I've been to town at night and I'm ONLY 42.

The hubby and myself usually go to town on Saturday night and never have a problem, but having said that, we are always home before the late bars and nightclubs close.
    Sunshine Palace is lovely, we've been there a few times. You'd never know !, I might see you there.;)

Agreed that the marks and sparks thing was a disaster!

I am still in two minds about this. When Manor is busy, it's hard enough to get parking, can you imagine how much worse it would be if M&S were there.
    If M&S were in the John Joe Sheehy road, as the T.T.C. had proposed would also have been madness, that road is too busy as it is.

(Sunshine Palace. Anybody been there?)
    Yup,a great spot for a chinese, iv eaten there a few times, and i worked there when it was being built too:D

• Advertisement

Creating a new Tralee thread to remove the poll and tidy things up a bit. The old thread can still be searched, but is now closed for posting. I will copy the last few pages to this new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement