Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    a girl I know said they had to halt work in her estate, they hit ESB cables, which he actually told us about today. So dangerous!!

Greed! Some Builders/developers should be ashamed of the work done. Of course they don't give a damn, homeowners are left fixing the problems at their own expense. Meanwhile Bob the builder is in Nama and being paid a salary to help unwind the mess he created. Where else would it happen?:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Greed! Some Builders/developers should be ashamed of the work done. Of course they don't give a damn, homeowners are left fixing the problems at their own expense. Meanwhile Bob the builder is in Nama and being paid a salary to help unwind the mess he created. Where else would it happen?:rolleyes:

I worked on houses in castleisland, which were being built by a sub contractor for the council. The main contractor was never there himself as the money had ran out but he had a team of slovakian lads that were building the houses using a DIY book as reference.

Not one contractor got paid by the subbie for that job. The castleisland company that supplied stoves and bathroom wear for the houses later removed them from the houses as they never got paid either.

I can only imagine what condition the houses are in now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I spotted two more units in town filled. One is the old 'Frontier' shop in Castle Street, is going to be a dance studio. The other one I spotted was on Rock street, just next to the bookies, where that laneway goes between the two shops (Market lane??). There is a clothes shop gone in there, can't see a sign over the door yet, so they are probably not long open.
    Paco looks to be all finished, not sure if it is open, I didn't look, but I think it might be. And they were painting the outside of the new Costa Coffee today, so hopefully that's not far off opening now. Great to see so much activity in the town, it gives a good impression.
    I see that Carmel's discount store is still open...longest closing down sale ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I see that Carmel's discount store is still open...longest closing down sale ever!

They are closing when the Second Coming of Christ occurs - they promise! :D

I spotted two more units in town filled. One is the old 'Frontier' shop in Castle Street, is going to be a dance studio. The other one I spotted was on Rock street, just next to the bookies, where that laneway goes between the two shops (Market lane??). There is a clothes shop gone in there, can't see a sign over the door yet, so they are probably not long open.
    Paco looks to be all finished, not sure if it is open, I didn't look, but I think it might be. And they were painting the outside of the new Costa Coffee today, so hopefully that's not far off opening now. Great to see so much activity in the town, it gives a good impression.

That is very good news. Tralee will return to being a very attractive town business & shopping location:) Full marks to all the businesses who braved it out during the recession and a special welcome to all the newcomers. Hopefully everyone will experience an excellent trading period over the coming months:)

• Advertisement

I worked on houses in castleisland, which were being built by a sub contractor for the council. The main contractor was never there himself as the money had ran out but he had a team of slovakian lads that were building the houses using a DIY book as reference.

Not one contractor got paid by the subbie for that job. The castleisland company that supplied stoves and bathroom wear for the houses later removed them from the houses as they never got paid either.

Indeed can only imagine. Though there is a perception that the materials and standards used in Council projects actually exceed the minimum standards in private developments.

I am aware of a developer who had his heart broken by an Urban Council when they delayed a property transaction over the gap in the fireplace to allow the smoke rise through the chimney ,being an inch to narrow. Their spec was higher than the safety standards approved for a private house.!! And , oh yes, the fireplace had to come out again to create an extra inch gap. Developer who took pride in his building was absolutely furious, considering what was happening all around. It was amazing the Council involved were fighting over such a petty item when in the same area, builders were slapping up houses on a daily basis !! Unbelievable stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Indeed can only imagine. Though there is a perception that the materials and standards used in Council projects actually exceed the minimum standards in private developments.

I am aware of a developer who had his heart broken by an Urban Council when they delayed a property transaction over the gap in the fireplace to allow the smoke rise through the chimney ,being an inch to narrow. Their spec was higher than the safety standards approved for a private house.!! And , oh yes, the fireplace had to come out again to create an extra inch gap. Developer who took pride in his building was absolutely furious, considering what was happening all around. It was amazing the Council involved were fighting over such a petty item when in the same area, builders were slapping up houses on a daily basis !! Unbelievable stuff!!

The problem is that if anything goes wrong that one inch will form the basis for a claim of damages from the tenants, and they will succeed in that claim.

kn wrote: »
    The problem is that if anything goes wrong that one inch will form the basis for a claim of damages from the tenants, and they will succeed in that claim.

Fair point, but I guess there are bundles of potential claims in the pipeline for more serious issues , eg the houses referred to in Castleisland earlier in the thread. :rolleyes:
    Great business for our poor ambulance chasing legal eagles in these recessionary times;) :D

Fair point, but I guess there are bundles of potential claims in the pipeline for more serious issues , eg the houses referred to in Castleisland earlier in the thread. :rolleyes:
    Great business for our poor ambulance chasing legal eagles in these recessionary times;) :D
    Guess it is time to place the 14 KY on order now!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Guess it is time to place the 14 KY on order now!:)

141KY...

• Advertisement

a girl I know said they had to halt work in her estate, they hit ESB cables, which he actually told us about today. So dangerous!!

They make a Big Bang if cut...

Double post...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

No shoe zone has that award I'd say

adam88 wrote: »

Id have my money on Hardly Normal for the longest 'sale'.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

As far as I know Moriarties are putting in the meters in Co Kerry. This is the same contractor who put boundary box/meters in for farmers and businesses a few years ago. When you talk about builders "bateing" them in whith a shovel I assume you mean the stopcock connection and not the boundary box/meter chamber?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Shoe Zone aren't closing down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

It's the signs they put on the window.
    Closing OUT sale is what it always says. It's a bit if a standing joke by now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

How much is the diesel in apple green going these days? Fairies cross station.

Id have my money on Hardly Normal for the longest 'sale'.

Up there with Currys !:D

How much is the diesel in apple green going these days? Fairies cross station.

just looked at pumps.ie and it says on the 25th Sept it was 145.8c
    http://www.pumps.ie/viewStation.php?stationID=4269

I think it might be roughly the same at the moment, I can't remember exactly though.

• Advertisement

As far as I know Moriarties are putting in the meters in Co Kerry. This is the same contractor who put boundary box/meters in for farmers and businesses a few years ago. When you talk about builders "bateing" them in whith a shovel I assume you mean the stopcock connection and not the boundary box/meter chamber?

Murphys were fitting the meters in Fairway heights today, a ridiculous amount of health and safety is tied in with that job. I know it has to be done, but id say most of the time is tied in with setting up the jobs. I could hardly get into the estate myself in my van with barriers and stuff everywhere.

By the term 'Bating them in with shovels' I mean that iv seen the water mains feeding houses laid just under the path at hardly any depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭missjm

Somebody has probably since bought the estate for 150,000 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

just looked at pumps.ie and it says on the 25th Sept it was 145.8c
    http://www.pumps.ie/viewStation.php?stationID=4269

I think it might be roughly the same at the moment, I can't remember exactly though.

Thanking you, nice idea for a website that.

missjm wrote: »
    Somebody has probably since bought the estate for 150,000 euro.

Unfortunately for the tax payer, they were built.for the council!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭missjm

Unfortunately for the tax payer, they were built.for the council!

Typical. Way down the priority list for the developer so.
    Another Priory Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Confirmed in the Irish Independent today (news already broken here on Boards last week :) !!) that Boots are moving across to the new unit next to Dealz. I'd say it will be a fine store in this much larger premises. CH Chemists will have some serious competition now!

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/boots-signs-up-for-tralee-development-29630463.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Exactly but every so often they have a closing down sale

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

As kids are off school today I brought them to playdium in manor west.
    All the door proceeds today are being donated to Liam's Lodge Charity.
    So everyone's a winner

The place is really clean too . My first time here since it reopened.

Here's hoping the rain will be done before we hit the shops :)

Exactly but every so often they have a closing down sale

they had a sign up a year or two ago saying something like a 'closing out' sale! I remember it because I was speaking to the manager in there and she said everyone kept saying they thought it was closing down! I think it was around the time they had a refurb of the shop, which again people thought it was closing down. They always do a clearance sale at the end of each season and cover the windows. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

they had a sign up a year or two ago saying something like a 'closing out' sale! I remember it because I was speaking to the manager in there and she said everyone kept saying they thought it was closing down! I think it was around the time they had a refurb of the shop, which again people thought it was closing down. They always do a clearance sale at the end of each season and cover the windows. :rolleyes:

They may be doing themselves an injustice. End of season clearout sale, may be more appropriate., closing out sale or blow out sale are terms I see more often in the US.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement