Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Your pretty spot on there Delboy, I always thought the Geal scoil was a status thing aswell.
    Can't say much bout GAA though! Havent a clue!

Thanks Carchaeologist,

When the kids were then old enough Sneachta and Fiachra went to Secondary School in The High School, Wesley College, Blackrock, Clongowes,
    No logic at all!

:confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Your pretty spot on there Delboy, I always thought the Geal scoil was a status thing aswell.
    Can't say much bout GAA though! Havent a clue!

I went to an all Irish primary & secondary school! never knew it was a status thing!? :confused:

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I went to an all Irish primary & secondary school! never knew it was a status thing!? :confused:

Always knew you were a trend setter!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

hai,
    Take that nonsense over to the pale thread.I would think you would be hard pushed to find any one who went from Holy Family to Clongowes.

Thanks Carchaeologist,

When the kids were then old enough Sneachta and Fiachra went to Secondary School in The High School, Wesley College, Blackrock, Clongowes,
    No logic at all!

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

kingdumb wrote: »
    hai,
    Take that nonsense over to the pale thread.I would think you would be hard push to find any one who went from Holy Family to Clongowes.

There are quite a few people in town who sent their kids to Clongowes, all I'm saying is that apple's don't fall far from the tree ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

There are quite a few people in town who sent their kids to Clongowes, all I'm saying is that apple's don't fall far from the tree ;)

Where is Clongowes?? :confused:

I fell skanked now, I was told my choices were the CBS, Moyderwell or the tech, if only I had known.

Anyway i am not too sure if

Agree Monsieur Juneau.

Indeed I know people in Tralee who went to Glenstall Abbey, Roscrea, Bandon Grammar etc

Kingdumb is on my ignore list!

Co. Kildare:)

It's in Kildare, boarding school for future rugby players & daddys who want their little darlings to have the right CV from an early age

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,097 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Of the current ones, Darcy went there. €15k a year too.

Agree Monsieur Juneau.

Indeed I know people in Tralee who went to Glenstall Abbey, Roscrea, Bandon Grammar etc

Is he really? No spin in the jag for him then!
    As far as boarding school goes, I was threatened with the Sem in first year if my grades didn't improve, that scared all the D's out of me :)

??? You don't know what you are missing, of course you won't be able to see this but I am presuming it is because I pulled you up on that hate speak a few pages back !

Ha, exact same here, I even got taken to the open day there, we were on a Sunday walk around the lakes and made a surprise visit on the way home !
    As far as boarding school goes, I was threatened with the Sem in first year if my grades didn't improve, that scared all the D's out of me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

My first cousins went to one as well and it definitly wasn't a status thing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,097 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Come to think of it, there were a good few from Kerry in Newbridge College too. 4 brothers went there, great rugby players, 3 of them were school captains. The youngest lad only lost out 'coz we were allowed vote for a girl. He got vc though!

Is he really? No spin in the jag for him then!

I was threatened I'd be sent to Colaiste Ide boarding school in Dingle!!! lol :D

I was threatened I'd be sent to Colaiste Ide boarding school in Dingle!!! lol :D

My wife was threatened with that school too, by her mother!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

In fairness, if some fee paying schools can guarantee great teachers and proven academic results and offer well rounded non academic pursuits so that kids can find their niche and excel and the parents can well afford the fees, why shouldn't they send their kids there? I know there is the status symbol element for some but I wouldn't tar all pupils who attend such schools and their parents with the same brush.

I went to the Green in the 80s/90s and if you weren't into GAA football, there was absolutely no other extra curricular outlet for you. (no drama/debating/soccer/rugby etc) Many of the teachers there were woeful and had zero accountability thanks to their unions. I hear about great diverse interests being encouraged among the students there now and a female principal as opposed to a draconian, bible bashing Christian Brother must surely help.

PS - While I did go for an interview to attend Moyderwell, your parents occupation and address were the core decider for boys admittance back then so I wasn't accepted. If that was their ethos, then I consider not going there a blessing! I'd have loved Mounthawk to have been there in my time.

ongarboy wrote: »
    In fairness, if some fee paying schools can guarantee great teachers and proven academic results and offer well rounded non academic pursuits so that kids can find their niche and excel and the parents can well afford the fees, why shouldn't they send their kids there? I know there is the status symbol element for some but I wouldn't tar all pupils who attend such schools and their parents with the same brush.

I went to the Green in the 80s/90s and if you weren't into GAA football, there was absolutely no other extra curricular outlet for you. (no drama/debating/soccer/rugby etc) Many of the teachers there were woeful and had zero accountability thanks to their unions. I hear about great diverse interests being encouraged among the students there now and a female principal as opposed to a draconian, bible bashing Christian Brother must surely help.

PS - While I did go for an interview to attend Moyderwell, your parents occupation and address were the core decider for boys admittance back then so I wasn't accepted. If that was their ethos, then I consider not going there a blessing! I'd have loved Mounthawk to have been there in my time.

Great post!

ongarboy wrote: »

I attended the green back then also. SOD & Dúgáin were the principles back then
    Played football, but jacked it in fairly quickly & played basketball with the school.
    But, you are correct, nothing in the way of debating science projects or drama.
    I once brought an American football to school & Johno let us play for a few weeks. That was it, nothing in the way of soccer & rugby was actively discouraged by certain people.
    It was realistically the only school here, Moyderwell didn't open up to boys until the following year & the tech was aimed at woodworking & metalworking classes.....I can't hammer a nail into a piece of wood :)

• Advertisement

Played football, but jacked it in fairly quickly & played basketball with the school.
    I once brought an American football to school & Johno let us play for a few weeks. That was it, nothing in the way of soccer & rugby was actively discouraged by certain people.
    It was realistically the only school here, Moyderwell didn't open up to boys until the following year & the tech was aimed at woodworking & metalworking classes.....I can't hammer a nail into a piece of wood :)

I did woodwork & tech drawing in secondary (Gaelcholaiste Chiarrai)! :)

I did woodwork & tech drawing in secondary (Gaelcholaiste Chiarrai)! :)

I had to do Latin....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I went to the Tech in the '90s.
    Often saw things on fire in there.

Right little Keith Flint were you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The Green also in the 90's during brother Gavan and Whelan's time. To be fair to Johnno he made an effort to mix up the sports, the school had a very strong basketball team and I remember playing a number of other sports also. There were a few GAA dinosaurs there - I used to hate heading up to the pitch on Wednesday afternoons and having the teacher looking at me like I had 3 heads because I didn't want to play GAA. He just couldn't comprehend it.

Looking back, I got a decent education out of it but if you weren't in the top 2 or 3 classes, you were doomed - most of the lower classes were only there to pass the time of day. Some of those teachers were out and out nutters, 1 geography teacher in particular was completely off the reservation - I can't imagine he'd last in a school today. I reckon I'll be sending my lad to a mixed school - I don't think all-boys schools are conducive to producing the most well-rounded individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I had to do Latin....

Omnes Gallia est dividia in partes tres.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

groovie wrote: »
    Omnes Gallia est dividia in partes tres.

New coffee shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

And that was just the teachers! :eek:

xxyyzz wrote: »
    The Green also in the 90's during brother Gavan and Whelan's time. To be fair to Johnno he made an effort to mix up the sports, the school had a very strong basketball team and I remember playing a number of other sports also. There were a few GAA dinosaurs there - I used to hate heading up to the pitch on Wednesday afternoons and having the teacher looking at me like I had 3 heads because I didn't want to play GAA. He just couldn't comprehend it.

Looking back, I got a decent education out of it but if you weren't in the top 2 or 3 classes, you were doomed - most of the lower classes were only there to pass the time of day. Some of those teachers were out and out nutters, 1 geography teacher in particular was completely off the reservation - I can't imagine he'd last in a school today. I reckon I'll be sending my lad to a mixed school - I don't think all-boys schools are conducive to producing the most well-rounded individuals.

Said geography teacher would have been a right boy-ín if I remember correctly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Said geography teacher would have been a right boy-ín if I remember correctly :)

Nope, :D he was just psychotic. The guy I'm talking about was certifiably insane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement