Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I was in the first batch of 6th years in Mounthawk, it was quite depressing to see all these younger girl students taking woodwork when I'd have loved to do something like that, rather than Home Economics. I actually think Home Economics is a great useful subject for many (I learned to cook at home so wasn't relying on "How to make Quiche Lorraine" to get me through life), but our Home Ec teacher in Balloonagh was awful, loud, screechy, never really taught you anything just read things really loudly until she decided that should be enough for you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,097 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I went to the Tech in the '90s.
    Often saw things on fire in there.

Maguire & Patterson at it back then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

You will be travelling to Killarney for the football final Ciarrai

http://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/fitzgerald-stadium-to-host-county-senior-football-final/

Will the march of the Rockies go that far :D

Could get Morgan Freeman to narrate for it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

http://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/fitzgerald-stadium-to-host-county-senior-football-final/

Big gathering at Stacks club, into the buses, lots of singing & probably march from bus to the stadium!! ðŸ˜႒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

xxyyzz wrote: »
    The Green also in the 90's during brother Gavan and Whelan's time. To be fair to Johnno he made an effort to mix up the sports, the school had a very strong basketball team and I remember playing a number of other sports also. There were a few GAA dinosaurs there - I used to hate heading up to the pitch on Wednesday afternoons and having the teacher looking at me like I had 3 heads because I didn't want to play GAA. He just couldn't comprehend it.

Looking back, I got a decent education out of it but if you weren't in the top 2 or 3 classes, you were doomed - most of the lower classes were only there to pass the time of day. Some of those teachers were out and out nutters, 1 geography teacher in particular was completely off the reservation - I can't imagine he'd last in a school today. I reckon I'll be sending my lad to a mixed school - I don't think all-boys schools are conducive to producing the most well-rounded individuals.

Its interesting looking back on it the difference between ongarboys, Howards, yours and my experience there, in terms of sport. There is probably only a few years between all of us.

By the time I got there, myself and half the class had no interest in playing anything other than soccer. So about half way through 2nd year, Johno left us off to play either in doors or on the all weather "pitch". Anyone who didn't want to play soccer did gymnastics, boxing, raquetball or table tennis. If you didn't want to do any sports, you were left on the stage watching the soccer.

I had some good, bad and insane teachers there too, but looking at the building now, you wouldn't even know that its the same school I went to. Gone are the days of playing quake on the three computers by the library, the freezing prefabs in the winter, the ceilings caked in mouldy fruit. In hindsight, I wouldn't change too much about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

By the time I got there, myself and half the class had no interest in playing anything other than soccer. So about half way through 2nd year, Johno left us off to play either in doors or on the all weather "pitch". Anyone who didn't want to play soccer did gymnastics, boxing, raquetball or table tennis. If you didn't want to do any sports, you were left on the stage watching the soccer.

Now that you mention it, that's exactly what happened when I went into 5th and 6th year. I think the basketball phase coincided with Tigers having a very strong team and most of their underage players went to the Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

New coffee shop?

Where?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Nope, :D he was just psychotic. The guy I'm talking about was certifiably insane.

Not the boy-een that I have in mind either.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭sudaltsov

(Repeating, in case original request got lost) Could anybody recommend any kids camp in Tralee for the Oct mid-term?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

sudaltsov wrote: »
    (Repeating, in case original request got lost) Could anybody recommend any kids camp in Tralee for the Oct mid-term?

I've not heard of any coming up. Maybe ask on the Tralee Chamber Alliance facebook page, they might know of something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

"Ah yes, here we have the march of the lesser seen, fat arsed black and amber penguins from the artic regions of Linnanes bar"

groovie wrote: »
    Not the boy-een that I have in mind either.

I need to know who this is? Are you all talking about the same guy? I can't even think who it is.
    Most of the nutters i had would have been gone by the time ye arrived.
    But I agree with the sentiments on the school today. It looks wonderful, has top notch equipment & a much wider range for the curriculum & extra curricular activities has to be welcomed by today's pupils.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

sudaltsov wrote: »

Depends on the age and interests of the child(ren), but maybe this could be an idea: http://www.traleeequestriancentre.com/Pony-Camps.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I need to know who this is? Are you all talking about the same guy? I can't even think who it is.
    Most of the nutters i had would have been gone by the time ye arrived.
    But I agree with the sentiments on the school today. It looks wonderful, has top notch equipment & a much wider range for the curriculum & extra curricular activities has to be welcomed by today's pupils.

Not boyeen. I can't name the guy publicly but he did seem to spend an awful lot of time raving about his family and all his perceived grudges.

Quaderno wrote: »
    Depends on the age and interests of the child(ren), but maybe this could be an idea: http://www.traleeequestriancentre.com/Pony-Camps.html
    "
    Tralee Equestrian Centre, Tonevane, Blennerville
    During a recent visit from our nieces who live in the UK, one of the girls decided at short notice she would like a riding lesson. The other girl decided she wanted to go surfing instead. No problem, surfing was arranged in Banna without any fuss.

However I was stumped when it came to Equestrian Centres. A quick google and I came up with Tralee Equestrian Centre, contacted them and confirmed that my niece could have a riding lesson at midday with no fuss.

We brought the 6 year old to the centre where she was allowed wander around the stables and acquaint herself with the surroundings.

The riding lesson took place, with wonderful instructors who managed to turn a total beginner into a rider who could jump small fences.

This whole event became the highlight of this young lady's holiday.

Well done to the Hayes family on running such a wonderful centre in what is a most relaxed and pleasant environment.:):):) "

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I had to do Latin....

Anyone remember Mrs Slocombe the first female teacher in the Green, she taught Latin? I cant remember her real name.

Not boyeen. I can't name the guy publicly but he did seem to spend an awful lot of time raving about his family and all his perceived grudges.

I cannot remember who this is! Either I didn't have him as a teacher or he arrived after I left.
    Or I actually am going senile.
    Do we have a nickname for him?

I didn't go there, obviously being a girl, but I had a neighbour who taught there & guys I know who went there used to tell me how nuts he was! I wouldn't be surprised if I'm thinking of the same guy! ;)

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I didn't go there, obviously being a girl, but I had a neighbour who taught there & guys I know who went there used to tell me how nuts he was! I wouldn't be surprised if I'm thinking of the same guy! ;)

You're just getting in on the windup here!
    I'm going to need an influx of pm's or I'm just going to start naming all the nutjobs that I knew worked there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I went to the Green and we had a History teacher, second name starts with B, he was quite 'colourful' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I went to the Green and we had a History teacher, second name starts with B, he was quite 'colourful' :rolleyes:

Him I know :).

Sounds like the loons were in charge of the asylum ! :D LOL............!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Sounds like the loons were in charge of the asylum ! :D LOL............!

Beginning to think I was better off going to the tech after all. Fires included.

I guess there is enough potential material for another Roddy Doyle novel:D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Anyone remember Mrs Slocombe the first female teacher in the Green, she taught Latin? I cant remember her real name.

What year was this? We had a temp Geography teacher in 5th year, she was the aunt of one of the guys in the class. That was in spring 1982.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Anyone know of anyone that can repair/replace a catch on a tumble dryer door? Tralee town.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Does anyone know what shop is moving into the old Paco unit in Manor West?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Caros wrote: »
    Anyone know of anyone that can repair/replace a catch on a tumble dryer door? Tralee town.
    Thanks!

Ring Walsh Bros,they will surely tell you who repairs the make of dryer you have,probably the same lads that repair washing machines.

Very sad news indeed in both our local papers this week.
    A Malaysian chef in the Manor West hotel has been diagnosed with cancer & has only days left to live.
    Moyderwell primary are doing a little benefit this weekend in order to try help raise funds for his parents to come over & be with him at the end.
    I will be going & I hope a few more boardsies can maybe give a tenner for a very worthy cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Very sad news indeed in both our local papers this week.
    A Malaysian chef in the Manor West hotel has been diagnosed with cancer & has only days left to live.
    Moyderwell primary are doing a little benefit this weekend in order to try help raise funds for his parents to come over & be with him at the end.
    I will be going & I hope a few more boardsies can maybe give a tenner for a very worthy cause.

Herself works with him, meant to be a very nice man, they are all devastated with the news in Manor west. I hope they can make it over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement