Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pubman

nice to see a world brand seccond only to starbucks...take intrest in tralee a good sign they should be welcomed by the Buissnesses of tralee....what are they so upset over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

pubman wrote: »
    nice to see a world brand seccond only to starbucks...take intrest in tralee a good sign they should be welcomed by the Buissnesses of tralee....what are they so upset over.

They will bitch and moan over business leaving town to set up in Manor, saying it is desamating the town centre.

And as soon as one trys to set up in town that may give them some competition, they all get together to try and stop them.

Its almost cartel like!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

groovie wrote: »
    It was only a matter of time before a franchise moved in, as you say there are several cafés now and they seem to prosper. In addition to this, there are less options to have lunch now.

I don't understand your last sentence. Surely there are more lunch choices then ever now with all these new cafes? At least I think so. Or are you referring to dinner in the middle of the day choices which is a dying habit anyway? There's always Dawson's and the Grand for the meat and spuds brigade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

There's another cafe opening where the rolling pin used be too.

I'm not a fan of Costa, over priced, far too hot and average quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

The opticians have opened on the mall too, town is doing better than ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

ongarboy wrote: »
    I don't understand your last sentence. Surely there are more lunch choices then ever now with all these new cafes? At least I think so. Or are you referring to dinner in the middle of the day choices which is a dying habit anyway? There's always Dawson's and the Grand for the meat and spuds brigade!

I was thinking about pubs giving way, like The Brogue Inn, or ones that just don't open for the lunchtime trade, and of course, as you say, the meat and potatoes people.
    Yes, there are plenty of options for lunch in cafés, as opposed to pubs, which was where people would have gone I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Ammmmm when did the Turkish barber shops pop up??, their on Rock St and Castle St Ash St :confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Ammmmm when did the Turkish barber shops pop up??, their on Rock st and Castle St :confused:.

There's one across the road from the court house in Ash st.

There's one across the road from the court house in Ash st.

My bad I actually meant Ash St! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

My bad I actually meant Ash St! :)

It's ASHE Street i.e. Thomas Ashe! :mad:

• Advertisement

kn wrote: »

The E is silent when spelling it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Ammmmm when did the Turkish barber shops pop up??, their on Rock St and Castle St Ash St :confused:.

Pardon my ignorance but how do they differ from regular barbers? I tried googling the term but just got what seems like results for turkish barbers in every town in Ireland (I must be living under a rock as I've never seen one before!), I didn't get a decent explanation of what they are or what differentiates them?

You can get a haircut & a kebab at the same time?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I think Costa is opening tomorrow, Friday!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Could anyone recommend someone who can cut back trees in garden and advise on what to do with one which is overgrown & very close to a front wall? as reasonably priced as possible! you can PM me if you prefer.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend someone who can cut back trees in garden and advise on what to do with one which is overgrown & very close to a front wall? as reasonably priced as possible! you can PM me if you prefer.

Rev Bluejeans might know some new-age types that might do it for free!

The E is silent when spelling it ;)
    It must have been in the 9am English class which I slept through that I missed that rule...... :P

ongarboy wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but how do they differ from regular barbers? I tried googling the term but just got what seems like results for turkish barbers in every town in Ireland (I must be living under a rock as I've never seen one before!), I didn't get a decent explanation of what they are or what differentiates them?

They are barbers who are turkish????? Gawwwwwwwwwwd like.

Nah I really don't know, but I know they are sprouting up all over the country.

kn wrote: »

Ahhhhhh Thomas Ash, nice guy......

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kingdomlad

Great to see Costa Coffee opening tomorrow. That building looked desperate for the past year or so. Also, between Costa and Aldi opening new businesses in town they are creating some much needed employment.
    I got a great laugh when i saw that one of the businesses that opposed Costa Coffee were going under the name Tralee Shopping Centre Ltd. This is actually the trading name for a hotel that is in close proximity to Costa Coffee. And guess what, they said that Costa Coffee would be better off opening in a retail park outside of town.
    Now i wonder who owns that retail park?????;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

kingdomlad wrote: »
    Great to see Costa Coffee opening tomorrow. That building looked desperate for the past year or so. Also, between Costa and Aldi opening new businesses in town they are creating some much needed employment.
    I got a great laugh when i saw that one of the businesses that opposed Costa Coffee were going under the name Tralee Shopping Centre Ltd. This is actually the trading name for a hotel that is in close proximity to Costa Coffee. And guess what, they said that Costa Coffee would be better off opening in a retail park outside of town.
    Now i wonder who owns that retail park?????;)

And lets face it, the 'Tralee Shopping Centre' itself isnt exactly a hive of activity, did it ever since it was built have full occupancy. :rolleyes:

And lets face it, the 'Tralee Shopping Centre' itself isnt exactly a hive of activity, did it ever since it was built have full occupancy. :rolleyes:

the newspaper used the wrong name when they put in the objections, Tralee shopping Centre had nothing to do with the objection. The Kerrys Eye have apparently put in some sort of note to clear up any confusion this week.

Actually I was just thinking walking through it today that that place is really on its last legs. All there's left in there is Abrakebabra, about four shops on the Russell St entrance and a couple of charity shops in between. The central part is just desolate. Must be getting unviable to keep the centre open and managed at this stage.

It's owned by the same people who own a much more successful shopping centre in town.
    it can be written off each year against taxes, so in reality, it may be more profitable for it to remain almost tenantless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I know it's not as simple as it sounds but I always thought Tralee Shopping Centre would make a great food market if all the small producers and shops could be grouped together in there with some seating in the middle. There was a cupcake place in the middle for a while and there is the cake shop, downtown delly was great when it was there, loved the food there. Our own little English Market style would be nice but possibly impractical if not enough people use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

phormium wrote: »
    I know it's not as simple as it sounds but I always thought Tralee Shopping Centre would make a great food market if all the small producers and shops could be grouped together in there with some seating in the middle. There was a cupcake place in the middle for a while and there is the cake shop, downtown delly was great when it was there, loved the food there. Our own little English Market style would be nice but possibly impractical if not enough people use it.

Thats a brilliant idea and would be great for the town, there is also upstairs units there afaik.
    Its ideally set up with the 3 different entrances. As it is, I think most people just use it as a street with a roof to walk through!

The idea was floated, the centre unit was an off licence & the idea was to split it into 10-12 small stalls when they left.
    Nobody took it up, preferring to keep the square for trading & the market at the weekends across from the Brandon.

Thats a brilliant idea and would be great for the town, there is also upstairs units there afaik.
    Its ideally set up with the 3 different entrances. As it is, I think most people just use it as a street with a roof to walk through!

That's all I use it for. Its a handy way of transitting Rock St to the Mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Not really as trading stands like the market but more with the permanent shops like the organic place and maybe something like French Flair place that was up Ashe St, a butcher, bread place maybe, more a grouping of small shops that are scattered around town. Trouble with the centre piece and food like the cupcakes when they were there is that in the summer the sun shines in the glass roof, impossible to keep delicate foodstuffs in good condition. Seats in the middle wouldn't have that problem, although the previous coffee shops that were in the middle of that place always suffered in winter, you couldn't sit there as it was freezing.

Maybe with the new SYOB initiative there might be people willing to start up if the terms were right.

• Advertisement

You can rent units in there for between 60-100 euro as it is.
    I think a few people were put off from renting as there was no late night shopping or Sunday opening either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement