Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

You can rent units in there for between 60-100 euro as it is.
    I think a few people were put off from renting as there was no late night shopping or Sunday opening either.

the reason for that is because the current traders in there don't want to open Sundays or late night and they won't pay for the security for anyone that did want to open (which is no one at present!), apart from ShoeZone and Abra which can open whenever they want due to having a street entrance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    the reason for that is because the current traders in there don't want to open Sundays or late night and they won't pay for the security for anyone that did want to open (which is no one at present!), apart from ShoeZone and Abra which can open whenever they want due to having a street entrance!

That's correct, but it was offputting for other businesses who wanted to come in & have the option of opening late & Sundays too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

That's correct, but it was offputting for other businesses who wanted to come in & have the option of opening late & Sundays too.

exactly, and unfortunatetly those in there are not so accommodating, and very set in their ways...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Reading on the Kerrys eye online that a decision is due to be made by Kerry Group in conjunction with the town council as to plans for the old Dennys factory site near Garveys and back of Shaws. I'd be interested to know what they're planning. It's a perfect central location for development and would rid the town of what is now an eyesore. I suppose a retail/residential combination would be an obvious choice but I wonder is there demand yet with so many empty units and housing oversupplies out there? Until the office block across from the train station is occupied, I'd say there is no office demand either.

Any suggestions on what would be a good and sustainable alternative for that site?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

ongarboy wrote: »
    Reading on the Kerrys eye online that a decision is due to be made by Kerry Group in conjunction with the town council as to plans for the old Dennys factory site near Garveys and back of Shaws. I'd be interested to know what they're planning. It's a perfect central location for development and would rid the town of what is now an eyesore. I suppose a retail/residential combination would be an obvious choice but I wonder is there demand yet with so many empty units and housing oversupplies out there? Until the office block across from the train station is occupied, I'd say there is no office demand either.

Any suggestions on what would be a good and sustainable alternative for that site?

Knock it down and extend the Supervalu car park and maybe have a section of it for taxis as well

• Advertisement

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/costa-coffee-opens-in-tralee/

Confirmed on Radio Kerry that Costa Coffee did open today. 12 extra jobs for Tralee!

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/costa-coffee-opens-in-tralee/

Confirmed on Radio Kerry that Costa Coffee did open today. 12 extra jobs for Tralee!

it did and I had a lovely coffee from there too :) I know its a bit on the expensive side, but I like it. They have so many nice treats to eat too...which I will try out another day! They were pretty busy there even at 4pm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

it did and I had a lovely coffee from there too smile.png I know its a bit on the expensive side, but I like it. They have so many nice treats to eat too...which I will try out another day! They were pretty busy there even at 4pm!

Out of curiousity, how much was it for a coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

kingdomlad wrote: »
    Great to see Costa Coffee opening tomorrow. That building looked desperate for the past year or so. Also, between Costa and Aldi opening new businesses in town they are creating some much needed employment.
    I got a great laugh when i saw that one of the businesses that opposed Costa Coffee were going under the name Tralee Shopping Centre Ltd. This is actually the trading name for a hotel that is in close proximity to Costa Coffee. And guess what, they said that Costa Coffee would be better off opening in a retail park outside of town.
    Now i wonder who owns that retail park?????;)

Where can you see who puts in objections

Out of curiousity, how much was it for a coffee?

I think a regular is €3.25, bit pricey compared to other places, but there is a smaller one too, can't remember how much & I found it hard to read the sizes & prices on the board behind the counter!

• Advertisement

I think a regular is €3.25, bit pricey compared to other places, but there is a smaller one too, can't remember how much & I found it hard to read the sizes & prices on the board behind the counter!

That's a standard trick of Costa's wherever you go. A large Mocha is at least €4 (and probably more) but you have to squint to see the signage the cute hoors :)

That's a standard trick of Costa's wherever you go. A large Mocha is at least €4 (and probably more) but you have to squint to see the signage the cute hoors :)

I was starting to think my eyesight had got worse & I should be wearing my glasses!

I was starting to think my eyesight had got worse & I should be wearing my glasses!

Well......that too! :P

If you are a business graduate from the Tralee RTC/ITT, there is a gala dinner reunion on the 9th November in Ballygarry House Hotel. You can book tickets through the link below:

I graduated in 2001, but I am away that weekend so not able to attend. I'd say it would be a good laugh!

http://www.ittralee.ie/en/credit/bgg2013registrationform.php

https://www.facebook.com/events/591868244208771/?ref_dashboard_filter=calendar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Pricey indeed , they will need to sell a lot of coffee to pay the rent !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

kingdomlad wrote: »
    Great to see Costa Coffee opening tomorrow. That building looked desperate for the past year or so. Also, between Costa and Aldi opening new businesses in town they are creating some much needed employment.
    I got a great laugh when i saw that one of the businesses that opposed Costa Coffee were going under the name Tralee Shopping Centre Ltd. This is actually the trading name for a hotel that is in close proximity to Costa Coffee. And guess what, they said that Costa Coffee would be better off opening in a retail park outside of town.
    Now i wonder who owns that retail park?????;)

Very interesting. The business who allegedly opposed Costa Coffee , were allegedly the disappointed underbidders in the Sale of Mickos ???????
    Mind boggling:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Just heard rocky mountain is pretty much gone and "rumour" has it Burger king have an interest?????........

Very interesting. The business who allegedly opposed Costa Coffee , were allegedly the disappointed underbidders in the Sale of Mickos ???????

Classic case of sour grapes!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Classic case of sour grapes!!

Sour beans more like!

Just heard rocky mountain is pretty much gone and "rumour" has it Burger king have an interest?????........

I haven't been. I believe it's just too far outside the town for people to bother.
    Not sure Burger King would be much of a draw either imo.
    KFC might make a go of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I haven't been. I believe it's just too far outside the town for people to bother.
    Not sure Burger King would be much of a draw either imo.
    KFC might make a go of it.

I'm not sure they could blame 'too far outside the town', its across the road from Manor West and a stones throw from McDonalds, and there is no shortage of 'footfall' around those.
    There biggest mistake imo was trying to compete with McD's, instead of making their own niche.
    Having said that, I havent been in there recently, and they might well be doing fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I havent passed it since the by pass opened!

Burger King in Killarney is only very mediocre perhaps KFC might work better?

I'm not sure they could blame 'too far outside the town', its across the road from Manor West and a stones throw from McDonalds, and there is no shortage of 'footfall' around those.
    There biggest mistake imo was trying to compete with McD's, instead of making their own niche.
    Having said that, I havent been in there recently, and they might well be doing fine.

It is for anyone on foot. Nobody is going to walk out thru manors restaurant, pass McDonald's, the Streat, and then go to Rocky Mountain imo.
    I haven't even contemplated going there and neither have a lot of people I talked to.
    It's a burger joint, like any other one in town, Nit really competing with MacyD's, perhaps MJ's would be a better comparison & I think since Rocky opened, MJ's has increased business.
    Whoever goes in there has to give the public something they can't get anywhere else in town imo

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

It is for anyone on foot. Nobody is going to walk out thru manors restaurant, pass McDonald's, the Streat, and then go to Rocky Mountain imo.
    I haven't even contemplated going there and neither have a lot of people I talked to.
    It's a burger joint, like any other one in town, Nit really competing with MacyD's, perhaps MJ's would be a better comparison & I think since Rocky opened, MJ's has increased business.
    Whoever goes in there has to give the public something they can't get anywhere else in town imo

I agree totally with your last point, the rest, not so much.
    RM does skinny chips in small little cardboard cartons, very much like McD's and totally different to MJ's decent portions of home made chips.
    RM has a drive through and afaik, the manager of RM is ex McD's
    The vast majority of Manor Wests and McD's customers are in cars anyway, so I still don't see the location as an issue, anyone coming out of Manor only has to cross the road.

Most drive thru or out of town restaurants do not rely on pedestrian custom and still do well. I'd imagine only a tiny % of McDs traffic is foot based also yet that's a success. I think what you said about not offering a distinctive offering is correct. That's it's problem imo.

I think those type of drive thru out of town fast food joints are best run by well known chains who have massive brand awareness by locals and visitors alike who'll know exactly what to expect and receive every time they visit. I don't know of any other drive thru in Ireland run by a one off independent so RM were taking a risk opening such a venture.

I agree totally with your last point, the rest, not so much.
    RM does skinny chips in small little cardboard cartons, very much like McD's and totally different to MJ's decent portions of home made chips.
    RM has a drive through and afaik, the manager of RM is ex McD's
    The vast majority of Manor Wests and McD's customers are in cars anyway, so I still don't see the location as an issue, anyone coming out of Manor only has to cross the road.

I can't comment on the food as I haven't been there :)
    I understand the point you're making, but I think when they were starting off they were harping on about being local, best quality home produced burgers etc. Quality service & food.
    And from I've read on here, the first impressions they created were not good.
    Perhaps a hurdle they haven't recovered from i would guess.
    To be quite truthful, I even forget it exists at times, if I was in Manor, it wouldn't even occur to me to go there. I've only noticed it twice I think when driving by.
    Maybe it's just me, but it's almost invisible on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 krutt

Great night of music in the Carlton last night. The Troubadour Club gig was on for the opening of the Christy Hennessy Celebration. 9 bands (mostly from Tralee) showcased their talent in song-writing and performing. I am amazed at the musical talent we have here in Kerry. Tonight is the IMRO final of the Irish song writers contest, another great ensemble of talented performers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I havent passed it since the by pass opened!

Burger King in Killarney is only very mediocre perhaps KFC might work better?

I don't mind burger king but KFC is greasy muck. Its even worse than hillbillys! I'd rather a real mince burger from Mj's above any takeaway in town though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Same business had all the Costa fitters, plumbers, carpenters etc etc staying over. They were all from the North and spent money on accommodation food and a few beers every night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement