Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Two Vietnamese ?????

Have we any Border Controls? How did these criminals get in here?

Send them home to do their porridge. I guess the sentence at home will be a lot more severe than a mere slap on the wrist here?:rolleyes:

We have enough home produced chancers here already.

More than likely they were smuggled in here by Criminal gangs and more than likely will be killed or "disappear" upon release from prison. The people involved with the growhouse were more than likely ordinary people who were promised a better life outside of Vietnam and ended up here growing Weed for scum.

This is why weed should be legalised. If it were it would take the power from criminal gangs. Also weed doesn't destroy lives, harder drugs do and the only reason why people get started on the harder stuff, is not down to them smoking weed, it's down to them purchasing weed from a dealer who may offer them a "free sample" of Heroin, Meth etc. That is then when they realise weed is no good to them anymore and would rather do Heroin, Meth etc. for the rest of their lives.

If we legalized it, or at least decriminalized it and allowed people to grow a few plants. A major source of income of many gangs would be wiped out. It would even be better if the government would control its production and supply, the tax revenues would be fantastic. I can think of 10 people off the top of my head who would ensure to buy their weed of the government(myself included) if it was legalized. My late aunt used to smoke it while of Chemo, so she would eat and a relative used to use it to control her Parkinson's(It helped with her tremors).

Weed ain't all that bad guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Umekichi wrote: »
    More than likely they were smuggled in here by Criminal gangs and more than likely will be killed or "disappear" upon release from prison. The people involved with the growhouse were more than likely ordinary people who were promised a better life outside of Vietnam and ended up here growing Weed for scum.

This is why weed should be legalised. If it were it would take the power from criminal gangs. Also weed doesn't destroy lives, harder drugs do and the only reason why people get started on the harder stuff, is not down to them smoking weed, it's down to them purchasing weed from a dealer who may offer them a "free sample" of Heroin, Meth etc. That is then when they realise weed is no good to them anymore and would rather do Heroin, Meth etc. for the rest of their lives.

If we legalized it, or at least decriminalized it and allowed people to grow a few plants. A major source of income of many gangs would be wiped out. It would even be better if the government would control its production and supply, the tax revenues would be fantastic. I can think of 10 people off the top of my head who would ensure to buy their weed of the government(myself included) if it was legalized. My late aunt used to smoke it while of Chemo, so she would eat and a relative used to use it to control her Parkinson's(It helped with her tremors).

Medicinally I agree with it being sold helps with the appetite etc, but if you know anything about weed, side effects range from paranoia to compromising your motor function, now if you have that in a working environment where a workmate now, because it is legal, smokes a joint or two before work, he is now driving a vehicle to work (hypothetical scenario) where his awareness is now compromised, then arrives at work and depending on the job your doing is a major health and safety risk to both himself and others.

And yeah sure it will take the power from dealers who in an effort to recoup there losses introduce harder class A drugs in quite high (pardon the pun) volumes. Most dealers do not deal in weed singly.

Have you ever been to Amsterdam?, you can not walk 30 seconds down the road without someone asking you do you want cocaine or pills, 8am waiting for a tram I was asked do I want some coke???? 8 in the bloody morning talking to some junky is the last thing I wanted to do at that hour over there. You don't see people asking do you want to buy weed as it is legal to a degree over there, but the same thing will happen in other countries.

Medicinally I agree with it being sold helps with the appetite etc, but if you know anything about weed, side effects range from paranoia to compromising your motor function, now if you have that in a working environment where a workmate now, because it is legal, smokes a joint or two before work, he is now driving a vehicle to work (hypothetical scenario) where his awareness is now compromised, then arrives at work and depending on the job your doing is a major health and safety risk to both himself and others.

And yeah sure it will take the power from dealers who in an effort to recoup there losses introduce harder class A drugs in quite high (pardon the pun) volumes. Most dealers do not deal in weed singly.

Have you ever been to Amsterdam?, you can not walk 30 seconds down the road without someone asking you do you want cocaine or pills, 8am waiting for a tram I was asked do I want some coke???? 8 in the bloody morning talking to some junky is the last thing I wanted to do at that hour over there. You don't see people asking do you want to buy weed as it is legal to a degree over there, but the same thing will happen in other countries.

Obviously should it be legalised, there would have to be some limits in relation to things like driving. Have you seen Ming's bill? It's relatively extensive.

When it comes to the workplace, obviously the various workplaces will have their rules in relation to weed use.

As to drug dealers being more aggressive when it comes to coke, heroin etc.
    Primarily the Drug Unit of the Gardaí would have more resources to tackle this problem, how they would go about this I am unsure. Secondly have actual decent sentencing(none of this 6 months suspended cr*p). Thirdly a decent drug education program starting in Primary School up, about the effects of Heroin, coke etc. We had this in my primary school, in conjunction with the Local Gardaí and it worked. It was pretty Graphic but it worked. Also I would certainly think it would be a good idea to show trainspotting in Secondary school(I know it is 18s but my God, it would turn anyone off Heroin). Realistically we cannot stop these dealers fully, as there will always be someone who wants coke, heroin(why I have no idea), However if we can cut their profits, hinder them and put some out of business then it is a victory no?

Legalisation is not about getting more weed smokers, it is about safeguarding those who do from dodgy dealers, criminal gangs, tainted product and from moving onto harder stuff.

Obviously should it be legalised, there would have to be some limits in relation to things like driving. Have you seen Ming's bill? It's relatively extensive.

When it comes to the workplace, obviously the various workplaces will have their rules in relation to weed use.

As to drug dealers being more aggressive when it comes to coke, heroin etc.
    Primarily the Drug Unit of the Gardaí would have more resources to tackle this problem, how they would go about this I am unsure. Secondly have actual decent sentencing(none of this 6 months suspended cr*p). Thirdly a decent drug education program starting in Primary School up, about the effects of Heroin, coke etc. We had this in my primary school, in conjunction with the Local Gardaí and it worked. It was pretty Graphic but it worked. Also I would certainly think it would be a good idea to show trainspotting in Secondary school(I know it is 18s but my God, it would turn anyone off Heroin). Realistically we cannot stop these dealers fully, as there will always be someone who wants coke, heroin(why I have no idea), However if we can cut their profits, hinder them and put some out of business then it is a victory no?

Legalisation is not about getting more weed smokers, it is about safeguarding those who do from dodgy dealers, criminal gangs, tainted product and from moving onto harder stuff.

All good points, workplace and drug use rules and regs are already in place no different to alchohol in the workplace.

If alcohol was banned? you would have bootleggers much like in the states prohibition era (Nucky thompson :) ) drug dealers in our case, Alcohol despite what we know about what it does, side effects, risks taking it, do and don'ts but we still dog it. People drink and drive despite laws, people abuse their livers despite the inherent risks, and mainly this is how readily available alcohol is, then you take in to account the person in question, it is his conscious choice to drink and smoke or not but having weed more available people will want to try it and now no longer having the fear of being arrested.

Well I suppose that would be true, more people would be likely to try it. However these would be people who have had a desire to try it but either through not wanting to take the risk of a conviction, or who haven't the contacts end up not being able to access it.

Not everyone would have the desire to do it, similar to those who don't drink, or smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

not to be a bore or anything, but this conversation might be better in the 'chit chat' thread??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    not to be a bore or anything, but this conversation might be better in the 'chit chat' thread??

+ 1:)

Ciarrai76 wrote: »

Sorry really got into it xD

Meh....think we all know chit-chat thread died a death already, no offence to the mod who created it while it was good in theory but when you get sucked in to a conversation last thing you think about is "am I being on topic???".

Soz for being off topic though :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Meh....think we all know chit-chat thread died a death already, no offence to the mod who created it while it was good in theory but when you get sucked in to a conversation last thing you think about is "am I being on topic???".

No, i enjoyed reading these last few posts. It's still tied into Tralee because of the subject matter.

I was wondering was it all an elaborate scam to set up a Vietnamese restaurant here in town.
    We all know you get the munchies after a little weed & the guy that was knicked by the gardai is a chef.....
    Coincidence? I think not!

• Advertisement

No, i enjoyed reading these last few posts. It's still tied into Tralee because of the subject matter.

I was wondering was it all an elaborate scam to set up a Vietnamese restaurant here in town.
    We all know you get the munchies after a little weed & the guy that was knicked by the gardai is a chef.....
    Coincidence? I think not!

OMG YES!
    Vietnamese food... *drool*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

The grow house was apparently in the old Amman factory. Kind of apt really. When it closed as Amman I think there was circa 300 jobs there and back in the 70/80's there up to 800 jobs in the old Burlingtons - now its a drugs factory with 2 illegal Vietnamese employees, says it all really..... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Perhaps it is time to merge the threads again ?

The primary reason for separating the threads is inconspicuous these days !

kn wrote: »
    The grow house was apparently in the old Amman factory. Kind of apt really. When it closed as Amman I think there was circa 300 jobs there and back in the 70/80's there up to 800 jobs in the old Burlingtons - now its a drugs factory with 2 illegal Vietnamese employees, says it all really..... :(

You sure?, having worked there up there for years they had a tough time breaking through 6mm plated steel doors I'd imagine, not to mention my former manager is still paid to inspect the place periodically inside and out on a weekly basis.

There are other derelict building up their though a child could break in to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

They were found in a building behind Amman.

They were found in a building behind Amman.

Hmmmm, Odd don't remember buildings behind it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Hmmmm, Odd don't remember buildings behind it.

Maybe you were standing too close to the building. :)

Sniff, sniff!!!

Maybe you were standing too close to the building. :)

Sniff, sniff!!!

Ahhhhhh that would explain why I put on 4 stone from eating deep fried everything.......

Ahhhhhh that would explain why I put on 4 stone from eating deep fried everything.......

Yeah, those mars bars are a curse!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Here is a petition to free Mary Jane !

ok to bring this back on topic[ish] anyone remember anything about a field of 'the good stuff' that was grown out in the Kerries in the 70's or 80's, and not by Vietnamese but by some arm of the state, Dept. of Agriculture I think ?

• Advertisement

The discovery was made in a rented section beside a company called Kleinhouse, not behind AMANN nor anything to do with it but it still a part of the building itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

...Have you ever been to Amsterdam?, you can not walk 30 seconds down the road without someone asking you do you want cocaine or pills, 8am waiting for a tram I was asked do I want some coke???? 8 in the bloody morning talking to some junky is the last thing I wanted to do at that hour over there. You don't see people asking do you want to buy weed as it is legal to a degree over there, but the same thing will happen in other countries.

I think you were in the wrong part of Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Speaking of munchies, I was in Rocky mountain last night with my kids and I have to say the food was good. I'd say the teething problems are over. That was our third visit, the first two are best not mentioned as it was not great.

Anyway nice to have somewhere else to go with the kids.

The chicken snackbox was very tasty and I'm fairly fussy

pickled101 wrote: »
    Speaking of munchies, I was in Rocky mountain last night with my kids and I have to say the food was good. I'd say the teething problems are over. That was our third visit, the first two are best not mentioned as it was not great.

Anyway nice to have somewhere else to go with the kids.

The chicken snackbox was very tasty and I'm fairly fussy

I thought it was gone? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

So I need to get cracking with learning to drive lark, can someone recommend the best driving instructor in town for a complete newbie?

madrabui wrote: »
    I think you were in the wrong part of Amsterdam.

Depends what you mean by wrong.............:)

But in all seriousness we were asked all the time no matter where we went, you just kept walking.

Stressica wrote: »
    So I need to get cracking with learning to drive lark, can someone recommend the best driving instructor in town for a complete newbie?

David burke if he still takes newbies, one of the best in town by far and a lovely fella too.

I had him years ago and I have only had 17 accidents!!!!.

David burke if he still takes newbies, one of the best in town by far and a lovely fella too.

I had him years ago and I have only had 17 accidents!!!!.

Yeah, but none in the last 4 years since you let your seeing eye dog do the driving!

Yeah, but none in the last 4 years since you let your seeing eye dog do the driving!

This much is true......

• Advertisement

I wish something could be done about the gangs of young people that hang around Waddings(Manor), I had to pass the Waddings gang twice yesterday evening and on both occassions, I got abuse hurled at me(Why? I don't know :confused: ). I don't get the appeal of hanging round there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement