Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I've often encountered a woman singing some nice folk music outside what used to be Adam's the odd morning too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Adiboo wrote: »
    I've often encountered a woman singing some nice folk music outside what used to be Adam's the odd morning too.

She's a bit rough on the vocals, her voice breaks on higher notes, but anything is better than the keyboard player outside Quinlans on a Sunday afternoon

She's a bit rough on the vocals, her voice breaks on higher notes, but anything is better than the keyboard player outside Quinlans on a Sunday afternoon

Unless he has Christy sit in on a set.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

It has to be said, Aldi is looking mighty impressive on the JJS road, I'm diggin' the finish to the place. Far better than the bleak wall that used to be there.

It has to be said, Aldi is looking mighty impressive on the JJS road, I'm diggin' the finish to the place. Far better than the bleak wall that used to be there.

Any pictures floating around? I haven't been up that way in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Adiboo wrote: »
    Any pictures floating around? I haven't been up that way in a while.

I had intended to do a weekly pic like the bypass thread. But I couldn't be arsed.
    I'll shoot one tomorrow if its not dark by the time I get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yes, I was home at the weekend and saw how nice it had progressed. The stone cladding in front is very impressive along with the new street furniture/signage and what I assume is a new set down area that widens and improves the street. Seeing as Mitchel's are leaving their club bar in situ, it might now be time for them to smarten up the front of it to further complement the street.

Oh yeah, popped into the new Costa too. Nice addition to the Mall. Loads of seating both upstairs and downstairs so definitely a place where you can linger on your laptop/tablet or with a book without pressure to leave. Sandwich range is prepacked and limited so really more of a coffee and cake type of place.

I see FAS got a much needed lick of paint. Benners may get painted too hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Heard this on Radio Kerry this morning.

The new drivers licence office for all of Co Kerry is situated in the Mezzanine Unit, Manor West Shopping Centre, Tralee.

What a terrible location! For those of not familiar with Manor West the Messanine Unit is situated a the back end of Debenhams Cafe up stairs from the Sky Booth.

The office appears to be very small with inadequate signage and seating and queuing arrangements.

The nearest alternative offices are in Cork City or Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Heard this on Radio Kerry this morning.

The new drivers licence office for all of Co Kerry is situated in the Mezzanine Unit, Manor West Shopping Centre, Tralee.

What a terrible location! For those of not familiar with Manor West the Messanine Unit is situated a the back end of Debenhams Cafe up stairs from the Sky Booth.

The office appears to be very small with inadequate signage and seating and queuing arrangements.

The nearest alternative offices are in Cork City or Limerick City.
    I thought the location was a bit odd as well but then I remembered that they are open on Saturdays so that might have prevented them from using the likes of the County Council offices as it would have imposed additional costs of opening up on Saturday's especially just for one service.

Being a non-ground floor unit I'd imagine they got a real good rent deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

That already ridiculous roundabout/road painting by the Huddle is about 10 times worse now with that calamity they have made.

My suspension will also thank them when/if it get's finished. But it is way too confined a space now I think to slap in a so called roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

That already ridiculous roundabout/road painting by the Huddle is about 10 times worse now with that calamity they have made.

My suspension will also thank them when/if it get's finished. But it is way too confined a space now I think to slap in a so called roundabout.

Yes work started on dogsbollix roundabout back in mid August.
    I see work has recommenced at dogsbollix roundabout in strand road, matt talbot road. A JCB is clearing the ground behind the existing block wall.

I see ducts for traffic lights/pedestrian lights have been installed over the last few days.

Has any one noticed the big red van that parks next to the laundry blocking the footpath and obscuring vision at this very dangerous junction?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Yes work started on dogsbollix roundabout back in mid August.

I see ducts for traffic lights/pedestrian lights have been installed over the last few days.

Has any one noticed the big red van that parks next to the laundry blocking the footpath and obscuring vision at this very dangerous junction?

there shouldn't be parking allowed on that street, its way too narrow as it is & you end up with basically one lane for half of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    there shouldn't be parking allowed on that street, its way too narrow as it is & you end up with basically one lane for half of it!

Or parking for the laundrette. That van is persistently there with the hazards on.

Seems we had a stabbing in town last night, outside Clearys jewellers beside Carrig Donn. Footpath was cordoned off before 9am this morn & the forensic guys were inspecting the area

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Traleegal1

kn wrote: »
    I thought the location was a bit odd as well but then I remembered that they are open on Saturdays so that might have prevented them from using the likes of the County Council offices as it would have imposed additional costs of opening up on Saturday's especially just for one service.

Being a non-ground floor unit I'd imagine they got a real good rent deal.

I know it says no chit chat but of anyone knows anyone who is driving to dingle Monday to Friday and is willing to give lift to a girl who is working there it would be appreciated just mail me .. I will pay weekly or daily thanks buses are too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Seems we had a stabbing in town last night, outside Clearys jewellers beside Carrig Donn. Footpath was cordoned off before 9am this morn & the forensic guys were inspecting the area

Shocking behaviour.

Throwing eggs at people I heard.

Yes, heard the guards made a few arrests.
    The parents of these brats need to be made responsible for the actions of their offspring.
    Perhaps locking up a few of the idiots for a while may bring them to their senses.
    Criminal behaviour like this needs tough justice.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Yes, I was home at the weekend and saw how nice it had progressed. The stone cladding in front is very impressive along with the new street furniture/signage and what I assume is a new set down area that widens and improves the street. Seeing as Mitchel's are leaving their club bar in situ, it might now be time for them to smarten up the front of it to further complement the street.

Oh yeah, popped into the new Costa too. Nice addition to the Mall. Loads of seating both upstairs and downstairs so definitely a place where you can linger on your laptop/tablet or with a book without pressure to leave. Sandwich range is prepacked and limited so really more of a coffee and cake type of place.

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Costa. A nice addition to Tralee Town Centre.
    The Town is coming on in leaps and bounds , every time I visit it would appear that another vacant unit has been filled. Well done Tralee:)

pookiesboo wrote: »
    About an hour ago a gang of trick 'r treaters walked through my front door, didn't even bother knocking. If they wanted to scare, it was mission accomplished.

Pookiesboo, sorry to hear about your tick'r treaters. That was outrageous behaviour. I hope the Gardai got the little blighters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Pookiesboo, sorry to hear about your tick'r treaters. That was outrageous behaviour. I hope the Gardai got the little blighters

They were strung up before midnight so that they could not come back to haunt Pookiesboo......

kn wrote: »
    They were strung up before midnight so that they could not come back to haunt Pookiesboo......

A worthwhile result then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Hi guys,

Is UPc broadband available anywhere in tralee or is it just the likes of eircom etc over a phone line. Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

jd83 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Is UPc broadband available anywhere in tralee or is it just the likes of eircom etc over a phone line. Thanks

I don't think UPC broadband is available here yet. I enquired about it late last year and it wasn't. I just checked their website, putting in Tralee and it still isn't available.
    You can get UPC tv, but again when I checked that time, they only had basic tv packages, and no record options like Sky+.
    I don't know why they are taking so long for it to be available here.

I worked for their previous company, NTL in Dublin about 12 years ago, and even then they didn't have their TV service available nationwide, it was just in the Dublin region, Galway and Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I don't think UPC broadband is available here yet. I enquired about it late last year and it wasn't. I just checked their website, putting in Tralee and it still isn't available.
    You can get UPC tv, but again when I checked that time, they only had basic tv packages, and no record options like Sky+.
    I don't know why they are taking so long for it to be available here.

I worked for their previous company, NTL in Dublin about 12 years ago, and even then they didn't have their TV service available nationwide, it was just in the Dublin region, Galway and Waterford.

Thanks, i thought as much. I tried but addresses in tralee into the checker on their website, but only getting basic tv showing available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

[quote83;87326435"]Thanks, i thought as much. I tried but addresses in tralee into the checker on their website, but only getting basic tv showing available.[/quote]

You can get eircom,Vodafone fibre anywhere in town without a landline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

Just wanna add my two cents and say it's great to see Tralee doing so well.

This is a town with a reputation for nothing but the negative for the past ten years. Had a few friends down from Dublin/Cork last week and they were genuinely impressed with the place, especially at night time. That's when Tralee looks its best. Shop units are being filled up on what seems like a monthly/weekly basis and it's great to see the new Aldi unit filling a desolate street with a bit of colour. Long gone are the days when Aldi and Lidl were considered blights on a town.

Costa Coffee is a great addition, interesting to see if it will work. Expensive enough and the pre packed sandwiches ec mightn't work with so much competition, but the space to sit and people watch is definitely good. Plus they have the backing to take a hit to a certain degree for a good few months. That new place - Dish across the way from The Brogue....dunno. Will see how it works out. May be one too many. The Roasthouse has a good new tapas menu, heard good things, think they needed that.

As for the kids trick or treating and the egg throwing....once again I'll respectfully disagree with previous posters. It's halloween, egg throwing is a part of it. Was back in the nineties and will be in twenty years time. Happens in Tralee, happens in Donnybrook. We'll leave it slide. Until I own a house and some little sh*t throws one at mine.

Rocky Mountain an unmitigated disaster. Roll on Burger King in 2014. John Mitchels got paid €4.7 million for their site on John Joe Sheehy Road. Built an unbelievably high tech facility on near Ballyseedy. And forgot to purchase a scoreboard. Classic. Tens of millions spent on a fantastic ring road. Yet the quickest way to Cork/Killarney is still heading out by Ballyseedy. Go figure. And as for that roundabout by Strand Road..they've been standing around breast feeding shovels since mid August. Mid August. For a roundabout. And it already looks like it's gonna be no help.

But still, we're getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Carraig95 wrote: »
    Just wanna add my two cents and say it's great to see Tralee doing so well.

This is a town with a reputation for nothing but the negative for the past ten years. Had a few friends down from Dublin/Cork last week and they were genuinely impressed with the place, especially at night time. That's when Tralee looks its best. Shop units are being filled up on what seems like a monthly/weekly basis and it's great to see the new Aldi unit filling a desolate street with a bit of colour. Long gone are the days when Aldi and Lidl were considered blights on a town.

Costa Coffee is a great addition, interesting to see if it will work. Expensive enough and the pre packed sandwiches ec mightn't work with so much competition, but the space to sit and people watch is definitely good. Plus they have the backing to take a hit to a certain degree for a good few months. That new place - Dish across the way from The Brogue....dunno. Will see how it works out. May be one too many. The Roasthouse has a good new tapas menu, heard good things, think they needed that.

As for the kids trick or treating and the egg throwing....once again I'll respectfully disagree with previous posters. It's halloween, egg throwing is a part of it. Was back in the nineties and will be in twenty years time. Happens in Tralee, happens in Donnybrook. We'll leave it slide. Until I own a house and some little sh*t throws one at mine.

Rocky Mountain an unmitigated disaster. Roll on Burger King in 2014. John Mitchels got paid €4.7 million for their site on John Joe Sheehy Road. Built an unbelievably high tech facility on near Ballyseedy. And forgot to purchase a scoreboard. Classic. Tens of millions spent on a fantastic ring road. Yet the quickest way to Cork/Killarney is still heading out by Ballyseedy. Go figure. And as for that roundabout by Strand Road..they've been standing around breast feeding shovels since mid August. Mid August. For a roundabout. And it already looks like it's gonna be no help.

Good post, and even though my OH had her car egged going through Rathmore, no she didnt call the Gardai as one would hope they have better things to be doing.
    On RM, I agree, I think the only thing that will save it now is a big franchise, they had their chance to impress with their own food and they blew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Carraig95 wrote: »
    . John Mitchels got paid €4.7 million for their site on John Joe Sheehy Road. Built an unbelievably high tech facility on near Ballyseedy. And forgot to purchase a scoreboard. Classic. Tens of millions spent on a fantastic ring road. Yet the quickest way to Cork/Killarney is still heading out by Ballyseedy. Go figure. And as for that roundabout by Strand Road..they've been standing around breast feeding shovels since mid August. Mid August. For a roundabout. And it already looks like it's gonna be no help.

Jaysus, didn't take long for the Stacks crowd to stick the boot in. Sticks and stones..... Hangover from the County Final must be lifting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Calling for children to be locked up for throwing eggs is a new one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement