Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

shergar22 wrote: »
    Jaysus, didn't take long for the Stacks crowd to stick the boot in. Sticks and stones..... Hangover from the County Final must be lifting

I've no affiliation with Stacks whatsoever!!! Haven't been to a game in years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Carraig95 wrote: »
    Just wanna add my two cents and say it's great to see Tralee doing so well.

This is a town with a reputation for nothing but the negative for the past ten years. Had a few friends down from Dublin/Cork last week and they were genuinely impressed with the place, especially at night time. That's when Tralee looks its best. Shop units are being filled up on what seems like a monthly/weekly basis and it's great to see the new Aldi unit filling a desolate street with a bit of colour. Long gone are the days when Aldi and Lidl were considered blights on a town.

Costa Coffee is a great addition, interesting to see if it will work. Expensive enough and the pre packed sandwiches ec mightn't work with so much competition, but the space to sit and people watch is definitely good. Plus they have the backing to take a hit to a certain degree for a good few months. That new place - Dish across the way from The Brogue....dunno. Will see how it works out. May be one too many. The Roasthouse has a good new tapas menu, heard good things, think they needed that.

As for the kids trick or treating and the egg throwing....once again I'll respectfully disagree with previous posters. It's halloween, egg throwing is a part of it. Was back in the nineties and will be in twenty years time. Happens in Tralee, happens in Donnybrook. We'll leave it slide. Until I own a house and some little sh*t throws one at mine.

Rocky Mountain an unmitigated disaster. Roll on Burger King in 2014. John Mitchels got paid €4.7 million for their site on John Joe Sheehy Road. Built an unbelievably high tech facility on near Ballyseedy. And forgot to purchase a scoreboard. Classic. Tens of millions spent on a fantastic ring road. Yet the quickest way to Cork/Killarney is still heading out by Ballyseedy. Go figure. And as for that roundabout by Strand Road..they've been standing around breast feeding shovels since mid August. Mid August. For a roundabout. And it already looks like it's gonna be no help.

But still, we're getting there.

Like your post and your honesty about Until I own a house and some little sh*t throws one at mine. It is one hell of a mess to get off a property or car for that matter.

Regarding the roundabout at Strand Road, The Bons Secours Hospital built a new extension and car park while the other guys have been breastfeeding their shovels.:)

keane2097 wrote: »
    Calling for children to be locked up for throwing eggs is a new one.

If you prefer, hold their parents responsible for the actions of their offspring! The problem is their little Johnny would never do anything like that, or he comes from a broken home, he doesn't know any better.

Sorry these misdemeanours are not being committed by 5 year olds, rather teenagers who should have a bit more sense. Furthermore I understand the Gardai visited a number of the Secondary Schools in advance of Halloween warning students against antisocial behaviour.

So maybe locking up the culprits is not such a bad idea afterall.

Good post, and even though my OH had her car egged going through Rathmore, no she didnt call the Gardai as one would hope they have better things to be doing.
    On RM, I agree, I think the only thing that will save it now is a big franchise, they had their chance to impress with their own food and they blew it.

Sorry to hear about your OH's car, however would you be so cool if the incident had caused her to swerve into a ditch.......? I think not! Throwing missiles at passing traffic, eggs or otherwise is Criminal behaviour:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Like your post and your honesty about Until I own a house and some little sh*t throws one at mine. It is one hell of a mess to get off a property or car for that matter.

Regarding the roundabout at Strand Road, The Bons Secours Hospital built a new extension and car park while the other guys have been breastfeeding their shovels.:)

I drove OVER that so-called roundabout this afternoon...you still can't go around it!!! What is the point having one that isn't even centred so you can actually get around it!! That junction is still a joke!

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I drove OVER that so-called roundabout this afternoon...you still can't go around it!!! What is the point having one that isn't even centred so you can actually get around it!! That junction is still a joke!

I drove over the said roundabout from two directions this am. It makes absolutely no sense. It is interesting to see the look of terror in the faces of other drivers. Thankfully I have never been a pedestrian at this junction, it must be terrifying.
    I think someone mentioned here on the thread about the possibility of putting in traffic lights. The road surface at the junction is absolutely outrageous.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Sorry to hear about your OH's car, however would you be so cool if the incident had caused her to swerve into a ditch.......? I think not! Throwing missiles at passing traffic, eggs or otherwise is Criminal behaviour:)

Oh dont get me wrong, they shouldnt be doing it, and it is indeed dangerous, but if everybody that had an egg thrown at their car/house during Halloween expected a criminal investigation, it would lead to chaos and ultimately be a huge waste of Garda time.

Oh dont get me wrong, they shouldnt be doing it, and it is indeed dangerous, but if everybody that had an egg thrown at their car/house during Halloween expected a criminal investigation, it would lead to chaos and ultimately be a huge waste of Garda time.

Fair comment. I am certain the Gardai have much more important things to do, nonetheless a couple of arrests and prosecutions would certainly demonstrate that this type of antisocial behaviour is unacceptable.:)
    It is certainly unacceptable in a civilised society

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

[quote83;87326435"]You can get Eircom or Vodafone fibre anywhere in town without a landline

Is it really possible to get Eircom or Vodafone BB without a landline in Tralee?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

Carraig95 wrote: »
    Costa Coffee is a great addition, interesting to see if it will work. Expensive enough and the pre packed sandwiches ec mightn't work with so much competition, but the space to sit and people watch is definitely good. Plus they have the backing to take a hit to a certain degree for a good few months. That new place - Dish across the way from The Brogue....dunno. Will see how it works out. May be one too many. The Roasthouse has a good new tapas menu, heard good things, think they needed that.

I agree with you completely I went to Dish, just tried it out for the sake of it, had a nice wrap, ad had a crabmeat quiche w/ 3 salads and teas, hot choc and a bun, think it all came to around 15, nice food to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Is it really possible to get Eircom or Vodafone BB without a landline in Tralee?

You'll need a phone line in the house as that's how its carried from the exchange to the house. It doesn't have to be currently active but without a phone line there's no way of enabling the broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

siblers wrote: »
    You'll need a phone line in the house as that's how its carried from the exchange to the house. It doesn't have to be currently active but without a phone line there's no way of enabling the broadband.

Exactly, the physical line is there, but your only paying for broadband - not a land line.

Anyone noticed drop offs in their fibre speed over the last month or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Exactly, the physical line is there, but your only paying for broadband - not a land line.

Anyone noticed drop offs in their fibre speed over the last month or so?

Just a word of caution, on getting our efibre I was told my bill would not exceed 35euro, maybe the first one alright. I then received a bill of 84euro, for "service charges" and VAT, which I was not happy about.

Had no other choice but to pay it after I foooked them out of it when I eventually got through to customer service. So I am waiting for my next bill to see what the story is.

Apart from that, last time i checked I was getting 35mb so quite happy with the speed have not checked it in a while, it is faster some days alright but for what I want it for tis more than quick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Just a word of caution, on getting our efibre I was told my bill would not exceed 35euro, maybe the first one alright. I then received a bill of 84euro, for "service charges" and VAT, which I was not happy about.

Had no other choice but to pay it after I foooked them out of it when I eventually got through to customer service. So I am waiting for my next bill to see what the story is.

Apart from that, last time i checked I was getting 35mb so quite happy with the speed have not checked it in a while, it is faster some days alright but for what I want it for tis more than quick.

What's your download allowance with that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

the town council have announced that there is free parking for the month of December in Tralee town centre! Tralee Chamber Alliance posted it up on facebook, however they forgot to add that it is from 1pm each day! Cathal Foley has commented on the status to clarify that its not all day free parking!
    At least its something though, hopefully it will still bring people into town to do their Christmas shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

siblers wrote: »

Really? I was with Eircom and got rid of them around 5 years ago and the phone line has been disconnected ever since. I've been using an O2 dongle since then!

So can I ring up Vodafone tomorrow and get in broadband and not have to pay line rental etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Yes, pretty much. Anything is better than those dongles. Closest thing to dial-up I've experienced in the last 10 years.

Can't believe people are talking about Christmas already. Are the lights up yet? The Mother saw a Chistmas wreath on the neighbours' door today. Christ.

Lovely, I'll be in town tomorrow and give a call into the store in the Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ruffmut

As far as I know you will pay line rental once it has been made active again. Even just for broadband.
    unkymo wrote: »
    Really? I was with Eircom and got rid of them around 5 years ago and the phone line has been disconnected ever since. I've been using an O2 dongle since then!

So can I ring up Vodafone tomorrow and get in broadband and not have to pay line rental etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

What's your download allowance with that?

Infinite Unlimited I think!

Could not for the life of me think of the word 'unlimited" this morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

unkymo wrote: »
    Lovely, I'll be in town tomorrow and give a call into the store in the Square.
    They are a bit peculiar about proof of address if I remember correctly. Two bank statements, tax dockets, or utility bills within the last 90 days I think, they won't accept anything that isn't in standard format, like a normal letter from Revenue or a normal letter from a service provider. Maybe it depends on the attendant you get, mine wouldn't accept these things. Maybe he didn't like the cut of me! Just something to bear in mind to save yourself a double journey (speaking from experience)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

ruffmut wrote: »
    As far as I know you will pay line rental once it has been made active again. Even just for broadband.

No vodafone will remotely activate the line and send out a guy to install the modem. There is no line rental in their simply broadband package.

You can order vodafone broadband online if you want, you'll also be able to check if you can get fibre as well.

I went into the shop and got the broadband today.

I have to pay a once off fee of €30 for a new modem and €32 a month for unlimited usage and speeds of up to 24MBs on a 12 month contract. I don't have to pay for line rental at all. Happy with that.

I didn't have to show any ID, just had my debit card and that was it.

Did they give any indications of what speeds you can expect? I know they say up to 24mb but you might only get 1mb.

Did they give any indications of what speeds you can expect? I know they say up to 24mb but you might only get 1mb.

Billy Nolan's jewelers were robbed yesterday, but thankfully the guy was caught and all items recovered!

below is taken from Radio Kerry website:

"A 31 man is due to appear before Tralee District Court this morning in connection with the theft of jewellery from a shop in Tralee yesterday.

At around 4.40 yesterday afternoon, a number of rings were snatched from Billy Nolan Jewellers on Dominick Street.

No weapons were used.

Gardaí chased a man through the town centre and he was arrested in the town park.

The rings were recovered.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Rocky Mountain have announced on their FB page that there will be a change of ownership soon. That didn't last long did it? Some of the people posting comments on FB are convinced it's Burger King (I think someone here hinted at that too). Is there truth in that rumour, I wonder? It's definitely a ready to go operation for any of the big name franchises whose brand power will allow it to attract custom county wide like McDonalds does. I'm sorry to see any business fail but RM definitely lacked something that allowed it to be successful. I was only there once but it didn't have that factor that makes you want to visit again.

See their official statement below.

Rocky Mountain welcomes new proprietors and management. The restaurant will continue to deliver its extensive range of quality meals and snacks that has made it a firm Tralee favourite in its first six months of business. There will be exciting developments in the New Year, so make sure you check Facebook for further news.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Billy Nolan's jewelers were robbed yesterday, but thankfully the guy was caught and all items recovered!

below is taken from Radio Kerry website:

"A 31 man is due to appear before Tralee District Court this morning in connection with the theft of jewellery from a shop in Tralee yesterday.

At around 4.40 yesterday afternoon, a number of rings were snatched from Billy Nolan Jewellers on Dominick Street.

No weapons were used.

Gardaí chased a man through the town centre and he was arrested in the town park.

The rings were recovered.
    "

Full marks to the brave Gardai. They do a wonderful job in Tralee and are a very decent bunch go guys and gals:)

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    Rocky Mountain have announced on their FB page that there will be a change of ownership soon. That didn't last long did it? Some of the people posting comments on FB are convinced it's Burger King (I think someone here hinted at that too). Is there truth in that rumour, I wonder? It's definitely a ready to go operation for any of the big name franchises whose brand power will allow it to attract custom county wide like McDonalds does. I'm sorry to see any business fail but RM definitely lacked something that allowed it to be successful. I was only there once but it didn't have that factor that makes you want to visit again.

See their official statement below.

Rocky Mountain welcomes new proprietors and management. The restaurant will continue to deliver its extensive range of quality meals and snacks that has made it a firm Tralee favourite in its first six months of business. There will be exciting developments in the New Year, so make sure you check Facebook for further news.

Pity the RM concept did not work. Wishing everyone concerned best wishes for the future. Remember it is better to try and fail than not to try at all!

RM certainly established a fine business model which hopefully the New Owners will strive to develop further.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement